Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 18, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #33,106 of 42,298
I shake my head at all the variants of new production very good power tubes and rectifiers, when there are none for decent driver tubes and I am absolutely not going to say anything about the Pis 181's. Whoever did that write up about how good they were a while ago in the press and preferred them to the TS or Brimars well one can only assume he had bumped into you mate lurking about with your side business !...

I have to admit some culpability here. Before I knew what a top driver sounded like I was quite impressed with the Psvane T2 CV-181s. In some ways they are impressive - balance, extension, detail, speed - they are superb - but they lack any hint of warmth or character. They make Sylvanias sound dark in comparison. They are so dry that they can easily drift into harshness without careful pairing with warm tubes. I got away with using them paired in the WA6/WA5 with the Psvane WE274B replica rectifier - a very dark tube - but pairing them with a more neutral rectifier (like the Brimar) would be about as much fun as stuffing your gonads into a bacon slicer.

Psvane got close with the T2 CV-181. If they could just add some warmth to the tube it might amount to something, as it is - no. Much, much too pricey for what it delivers.

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #33,108 of 42,298
Aww man, I was looking forward to breaking some arms and legs... I guess I'll have to rely on my Asian driving skills instead, worth it for a couple more sets of TSRP's!

Now that's an interesting question - what wouldn't you do for a caseload of bright and shiny NIB TS RPs?

Something involving multiple dead bodies and wood chipper might deter me. Maybe.

In order to get some...

Hmmmm.
ph34r.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #33,109 of 42,298
Now that's an interesting question - what wouldn't you do for a caseload of bright and shiny NIB TS RPs?

Something involving multiple dead bodies and wood chipper might deter me. Maybe.

Key word being 'might' :wink:
Wood chipper is far too much mess, I know plenty of new construction sites going up, 15m deep in the concrete slab of a lift shaft is the perfect hiding spot....

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #33,111 of 42,298
Aww man, I was looking forward to breaking some arms and legs... I guess I'll have to rely on my Asian driving skills instead, worth it for a couple more sets of TSRP's!

Thanks for the kind offer.. I have been in car with you
rolleyes.gif
 we don't want to end up on a middle eastern desert movie set dressed in Orange. We would all have sense of humour failure 

The squirrel is on it

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #33,113 of 42,298
I agree...with my WA5+Elrog's...the whole sound picture changed when I changed the 6sn7's...did not hear such a change with my K1000, as I did with these new Grand Teton SE speakers...it was very evident in the tone, depth of soundstage etc. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #33,114 of 42,298
New Elrog's are in, 4 hours in and sounding very good, no issues with bass performance.

Spec charts are now included and build quality is superb.

I am liking what I am hearing.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #33,116 of 42,298
I picked up a Wa3 earlier today from Bonsey Jonsey, couldn't be happier. Sounds pretty fantastic with the stock tubes, but I'll be picking up some new ones over the next couple of week.

Excuse the crappy colours on the camera.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #33,117 of 42,298

I have received my first few sets of NU's from the Italian supplier. I will throw them in and test tonight.

I am wrestling with a noisy power tube at the moment. So hopefully it won't distract.

What is it with 6080 / 6AS7G power tubes? It is nice that Woo designs amps around popular easy to get tubes. However they are a real gamble if you get quiet noise free versions.

Here is my history of them:

Tung-Sol 7236 = Quiet
GE 6080 = Quiet
Sylvania 6080 (2 sets) = Both noisy
Bendix 6080 Graphite plates = Quiet
Mullard 6080 = Noisy
RCA 6AS7G (4 sets) = 3 sets noisy, 1 set quiet but with a hum
Raytheon 6AS7G (2 sets) = 1 set noisy, 1 set with hum
Sylvania 6AS7G = Quiet with hum
Svetlana 6AS7G (9 sets) = 2 sets quiet, 7 sets noisy
Tung-Sol 6AS7G = Quiet with hum
Chatham Tung-Sol 6AS7G (3 sets) = Quiet

Not a very good track record. 8 quiet, 4 quiet with a background hum, 14 noisy. That is more than 50% noisy. I am getting very annoyed at buying noisy 6080/6AS7G tubes.

If anyone knows of a nice reasonable priced 6080 type tube that is nice sounding (doesn't have to be the best) but quiet please tell me.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #33,118 of 42,298
  I picked up a Wa3 earlier today from Bonsey Jonsey, couldn't be happier. Sounds pretty fantastic with the stock tubes, but I'll be picking up some new ones over the next couple of week.

Excuse the crappy colours on the camera.

Sorry. I posted directly after you. Congrats. Great looking amp. WA3 is sooooooo cute. I need to pick up one for in the lounge.

P.S. don't put those liquid tubes in. Don't think they will work very well.
wink_face.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #33,119 of 42,298
  Sorry. I posted directly after you. Congrats. Great looking amp. WA3 is sooooooo cute. I need to pick up one for in the lounge.

P.S. don't put those liquid tubes in. Don't think they will work very well.
wink_face.gif

Cheers!

Hahaha, I wasn't planning on it, looking at a pair of TK E88CC and a Tung Sol 5998.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #33,120 of 42,298
Just got my hands on a nice Black WA22 finally ill have my 6as7 6sn7 and Rectifier at the same address. WOO OOO !! A few pictures of course .                                                                                                                                                                                      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back