Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 18, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #33,121 of 42,298
  I picked up a Wa3 earlier today from Bonsey Jonsey, couldn't be happier. Sounds pretty fantastic with the stock tubes, but I'll be picking up some new ones over the next couple of week.

Excuse the crappy colours on the camera.

Congrats... Welcome to the OTL + HD-650 club; as you've already discovered, the water's warm 
beerchug.gif

BTW, in reference to your earlier PMs, there are some WE 421a tubes on eBay; you know, in case you have excess cash lying around 
wink_face.gif

Also, please let us know how things work out with tube depot and the Telefunken E88CC-TK - even with the stock 6080 power tube, it will be $90 US well spent.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #33,122 of 42,298
  Just got my hands on a nice Black WA22 finally ill have my 6as7 6sn7 and Rectifier at the same address. WOO OOO !! A few pictures of course .                                                                                                                                                                    

Very jealous... beautiful amp!

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #33,123 of 42,298
  Just got my hands on a nice Black WA22 finally ill have my 6as7 6sn7 and Rectifier at the same address. WOO OOO !! A few pictures of course .                                                                                                                                                                                     

So very nice. Welcome to the WA22 club. You got the right colour as well.

Did they come with those tubes? They are good tubes.
I notice the Tung-Sol 7236. I have a set of those. I think I will roll them back in as I have had bad luck with 6080's of late.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #33,124 of 42,298

So very nice. Welcome to the WA22 club. You got the right colour as well.

Did they come with those tubes? They are good tubes.
I notice the Tung-Sol 7236. I have a set of those. I think I will roll them back in as I have had bad luck with 6080's of late.

Thanks .Nope ive got plenty of my own lol . Anybody need a WA6 by any chance check out the FOR SALE FORUM .Thanks 

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #33,125 of 42,298
Congrats... Welcome to the OTL + HD-650 club; as you've already discovered, the water's warm 
beerchug.gif

BTW, in reference to your earlier PMs, there are some WE 421a tubes on eBay; you know, in case you have excess cash lying around 
wink_face.gif

Also, please let us know how things work out with tube depot and the Telefunken E88CC-TK - even with the stock 6080 power tube, it will be $90 US well spent.

Cheers! I'm actually in the UK, so finding tubes is a bit of a hassle. I found a Tung Sol 5998 for £90 so I'll probably pick that up. I also found a matched pair of E88CC's but they're £190, pretty steep IMO.

It says on tube depot that the TK tubes are sold singly, would there be a big difference between buying two unmatched TK's to a matched pair? The unmatched ones on tube depot are much, much cheaper than the matched ebay pair.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #33,126 of 42,298
  Thanks .Nope ive got plenty of my own lol . Anybody need a WA6 by any chance check out the FOR SALE FORUM .Thanks 

It will be interesting to see what tubes you end up with. Say 6 months from now.

I have ended up on Brimar 5Z4GY, NU 6F8G and power tubes undecided. Working on it.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #33,127 of 42,298

It will be interesting to see what tubes you end up with. Say 6 months from now.

I have ended up on Brimar 5Z4GY, NU 6F8G and power tubes undecided. Working on it.

Already have those will try them for shure along with the 5998's see how they sound .

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #33,128 of 42,298
I've been perfectly happy with unmatched tubes in the WA3. Just make sure you have same brand/type.
Cheers! I'm actually in the UK, so finding tubes is a bit of a hassle. I found a Tung Sol 5998 for £90 so I'll probably pick that up. I also found a matched pair of E88CC's but they're £190, pretty steep IMO.

It says on tube depot that the TK tubes are sold singly, would there be a big difference between buying two unmatched TK's to a matched pair? The unmatched ones on tube depot are much, much cheaper than the matched ebay pair.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #33,129 of 42,298
  Already have those will try them for shure along with the 5998's see how they sound .

Please tell me about the 5998 and that combo.

I'm such a cheap ass I've been mucking around with cheap 6080 / 6AS7G power tubes. Like I posted earlier over half have been noisy.
I suppose that if I wasn't a cheap ass I wouldn't have found the 5Z4GY.

I'm now kinda thinking of just spending the $$'s on the 5998 or the 7236 direct from Woo (where I got my set I have now). I have secured cheap rectifiers and drive tubes I might as well spend on power tubes.

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #33,130 of 42,298
I've been perfectly happy with unmatched tubes in the WA3. Just make sure you have same brand/type.

What a strange coincidence, I was literally just reading this thread with some very impressive mods by yourself. Thanks for the info, I'll almost certainly order the unmatched tubes from the US then and save myself ~£100.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #33,131 of 42,298

I'm such a cheap ass I've been mucking around with cheap 6080 / 6AS7G power tubes. Like I posted earlier over half have been noisy.

I'm now kinda thinking of just spending the $$'s on the 5998 or the 7236 direct from Woo (where I got my set I have now). I have secured cheap rectifiers and drive tubes I might as well spend on power tubes.

For shure, but what i can tell you about the 5998  is that its not the end of the world when i heard those my head didnt explode or anything subtility's subtility's for me anyways .                                                                                                                                              

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #33,132 of 42,298
If you can find them, 6080WA (TS or Chatham) with the little metal mica supports were always quiet for me:

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #33,133 of 42,298

A Tung Sol 5998 for £90 is a good pick-up, if it's lightly used (i.e. tests NOS).

For the matched pair of E88CCs at  £190 ... I honestly didn't recall them being that much when you select matched pair. I'm not sure it matters that much, but I bought mine matched.

I've tried LOTS of driver tubes and these are really nice sounding (I'm listening to them now). The alternative is NOS drivers and you will spend more ... lots more for a comparable tube.

Just trying to be helpful ... 
confused.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #33,134 of 42,298
I can't find 2359Glenn's avatar to send him a PM so I can ask if he will make me 6DE7>6F8G for the WA6.
How else do you PM some one besides through their avatar? I used the advanced search and can see posts/photos, but don't see how to send a PM? 
Thank you.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #33,135 of 42,298

Acquired a new-in-box Western Electric 421a (see the original padded wrapping material). I've been burning in a set of Tung-Sol 5998 / Chatham 2399 power tubes that I purchased from a follow Head-Fi'er. They are in great shape and sound nice, but when I rolled in the new Westy... ahhhhhh.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back