Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 3, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #31,996 of 42,298
  Just finished checking out with wa7+wa7tp+upgraded tubes. Mike said he should be able to get it out by Monday, and I live right outside NYC so I'll have it before I know it.
So soon, in fact, that it might get here before my HD650s, which I did not anticipate in the least bit.
Music has always been my passion, and I hope my first journey into the world of hi-fi is an enjoyable one.

I know what you mean. Music was a huge passion for me but I didn't realize it until I graduated from college. For example, I was always involved in marching band/concert band in high school but I thought I hated it. Then, I would be constantly haunted by the music we played. Even a few years into college I would have the band stuff stuck in my head. I also spent a large amount of my free time listening to music. Not only that, I would spend countless hours reorganizing my music by renaming tracks, filling in tags, looking up composers etc. I went from rock/alternative/punk in high school to various genres of heavy metal in college. One day, a close friend introduced me to the Audio Technica M50s and the Asus Essence STX sound card.. For some reason, it never occurred to me that music could sound better than apple ear buds and cheap computer speakers. Safe to say that it has been a wonderful journey so far!

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #31,997 of 42,298
Jan 3, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #31,998 of 42,298
Onward to the Telefunken E188CC with the w/ the Tung-Sol 7236

On order: Siemens E88CC and Tung-Sol 5998

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #31,999 of 42,298

Love that shot!  Beauty.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #32,000 of 42,298

Love that shot!  Beauty.

Thanks!  OT, but the camera on my Samsung Note 4 is beyond belief; I really haven't been successful in taking a bad pic.

Jan 3, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #32,001 of 42,298
Have to chime in here... I've heard the WA6 with my HD-650s and I have to second the @Bonesy Jonesy comment on the WA3, which is why I went that direction with my rig.  
If you settle on the HD-650s, seriously consider the WA3 (and upgraded tubes, of course
L3000.gif
 ).

WA6 is just so much more versatile, both in terms of tube rolling, and impendance. If I were to get a WA3, it would only be after having both the WA6 and WA3 in front of me, and a fair bit of a/b listening. I will admit, I would be very interested in doing that, because people with the HD650 and the WA3, and there are quite a few, say it's extremely good. I'll try to get to the next Nashville meet, and maybe someone can bring a WA3 to that, I will bring my WA6, and we will decide once and for all, the true ruler of the HD650!

Jan 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #32,002 of 42,298

Great photo Krutsch  A+

Jan 3, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #32,003 of 42,298

Yeah I just bit the bullet on the Elrog.  Couldn't resist.  I didn't have the need for the upgrades on the WA5.  My desktop speakers are balanced.

I still want the GSX MkII2 at some point.  Blown away when paired with the HD800.  But I love the tube sound.  Probably more when the Elrog (which my Mac keeps autocorrecting to "Elroy"!) arrives.  I don't own a solid state headphone amp any longer.  I got rid of my Burson a few years back.  

what about a tube source with gsx?  problem solved.  you get some tube sound that way
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #32,005 of 42,298
Just saw this......Here is a new video, in German,  of the ELROG factory!I  Interesting to actually see where these tubes are made etc, inc an interview with the inventor,  Dr. Schaffernicht...very interesting....notice at the end, the playback equip. 

If anyone speaks German, can they give an encapsulated translation of what was said etc,  and post it here?   Enjoy!

http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendungen/nordmagazin/Der-Roehren-Tueftler-mit-Kunden-in-aller-Welt,nordmagazin27058.html

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #32,006 of 42,298
All my love for WA6-SE.
Really a great amp.
I use EML 5U4G and 6DR7 tubes.

Really nice looking rig... what are the orange rings around the driver tubes?

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #32,009 of 42,298
  Looks like some tube coolers/heatsinks.

Those are dampers to stop the tubes from picking up resonant frequencies.  

Thanks... got that. I was hoping for links to a specific product. Does anyone know who makes those? They are cool looking (especially with the black Woo gear).

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #32,010 of 42,298

Holy Buckets... the Teleys live up to their reputation.

I am listening to the same playlist as previous evenings (Dire Straits, Ray LaMontagne, Roberta Flack, Pink Floyd, et al.) and it's just crazy good. The Amperex Bugle Boys sounded good, but these are on another level with guitar rock (dead quiet and very liquid sounding with fantastic separation). And the cymbals... wow.

I can't wait to pair these with the TS 5998, although I'm not sure I need anything other than what I am hearing right now. Maybe by tomorrow night I will be bored with this sound... kidding ... 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back