Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 4, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #32,011 of 42,298

Holy Buckets... the Teleys live up to their reputation.

I am listening to the same playlist as previous evenings (Dire Straits, Ray LaMontagne, Roberta Flack, Pink Floyd, et al.) and it's just crazy good. The Amperex Bugle Boys sounded good, but these are on another level with guitar rock (dead quiet and very liquid sounding with fantastic separation). And the cymbals... wow.

I can't wait to pair these with the TS 5998, although I'm not sure I need anything other than what I am hearing right now. Maybe by tomorrow night I will be bored with this sound... kidding ... 
eek.gif

Great stuff, the Teleys are usually fantastic valves and your into Ray, even better, worth trying Casting Nets - Distance, Light & Sky 
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #32,012 of 42,298
  Onward to the Telefunken E188CC with the w/ the Tung-Sol 7236

On order: Siemens E88CC and Tung-Sol 5998

I think you might like the 5998's. In my WA22, compared to the 7236's I got noticeably more power and deeper, fuller bass out of the TS5998's.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #32,013 of 42,298

Great stuff, the Teleys are usually fantastic valves and your into Ray, even better, worth trying Casting Nets - Distance, Light & Sky 
wink_face.gif

Wow... is that a great album!  Downloaded from Amazon, last night (I can't find the CD for purchase on-line from the US).

Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #32,014 of 42,298

I think you might like the 5998's. In my WA22, compared to the 7236's I got noticeably more power and deeper, fuller bass out of the TS5998's.

It's on its way via eBay... looking forward to the comparison. I also ordered some additional driver tubes (Siemens E88CC NOS).

At some point, I should take some notes and post my aggregate findings for others. I'm guessing there is a de facto tube rolling thread on Head-Fi; I need to look around and find the right thread.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #32,015 of 42,298

WA6 pairs very well with HD600/HD650. WA6SE has a lot more power, but I don't know if it offers much more in terms of SQ.

WA6 can take 6SN7s with a pin adapter - I don't think the WA6SE can do that without a very special adapter (no longer made?).

IMO, the WA6 sounded better for me with the 6SN7 tubes.
I couldn't find a tube combo for the 6-SE that sounded even close.
Correct, the 6-SE doesn't accept 6SN7 tubes, and even with the *special* adapter (no longer made by Glenn) Woo recommended not to use them in the 6-SE any way.

"Happy 2015" to all the Woozies out there!

As a former WooAudio Black WA 6 Special Edition owner running 6SN7 series tubes, a couple of things:

1. MOT 2359glenn has been working with tubes & circuit designs all his life. Based on his background experience, I trusted him to use the adapter in my Woo over the recommendation from Jack, whom I consider a good vendor, acquaintance and friend of the audio community. 

Yup 
wink.gif
, slapped that adapter right on in there some 3 months after I got the amp. To be clear, I asked Jack Wu to clarify the matter for me but he elected to only repeat the recommendation never explaining why with any clarity. 

In a nod to the late EPSN Anchor Stuart Scott (who lost his battle to Cancer this morning), my amp with 6SN7 series tubes ran as "Cool as the other side of the pillow." 

2. My best tube complement for the Woo:
- TS-BGRPs VT-231s (1942-44)
- USAF 596 rectifier (1957)

Special note: may yet still bring home another Woo but this might take a while. Also, really diggin' the chat on the Elrog & Taks! Don't own a 300B amp yet - my cinema power output tubes are the excellent Seimens F2a. Shoot, I might have to get the Elrogs or Taks and worry about the amp later! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #32,016 of 42,298
  "Happy 2015" to all the Woozies out there!

As a former WooAudio Black WA 6 Special Edition owner running 6SN7 series tubes, a couple of things:

1. MOT 2359glenn has been working with tubes & circuit designs all his life. Based on his background experience, I trusted him to use the adapter in my Woo over the recommendation from Jack, whom I consider a good vendor, acquaintance and friend of the audio community. 

Yup 
wink.gif
, slapped that adapter right on in there some 3 months after I got the amp. To be clear, I asked Jack Wu to clarify the matter for me but he elected to only repeat the recommendation never explaining why with any clarity. 

In a nod to the late EPSN Anchor Stuart Scott (who lost his battle to Cancer this morning), my amp with 6SN7 series tubes ran as "Cool as the other side of the pillow." 

2. My best tube complement for the Woo:
- TS-BGRPs VT-231s (1942-44)
- USAF 596 rectifier (1957)

Special note: may yet still bring home another Woo but this might take a while. Also, really diggin' the chat on the Elrog & Taks! Don't own a 300B amp yet - my cinema power output tubes are the excellent Seimens F2a. Shoot, I might have to get the Elrogs or Taks and worry about the amp later! 
biggrin.gif

You just reminded me about our conversation when I was trying to find some 6SN7 adapters for my 6-SE…I totally forgot! If you recall, I did ask Glenn at the time knowing he made yours, if he could make adapters for me, but he didn't have the time being so backed up with making amplifiers. And I do remember you saying that the 6-SE was fine with the adapters even though Jack said not too use them.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #32,018 of 42,298
Picked up the Takatsuki's today, 3 pairs of 300b's and 3 pairs of 274b's, 12 tubes in all...
Had to ditch the 274b boxes though, each tube packed individually and taking up the same space as the 300b pairs in their wooden box.
Seem very well built though, thick glass and sturdy bases. Now to get back to aus and try them out. I'd post pics, but the hotel Internet is being a bitch!

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #32,019 of 42,298
Picked up the Takatsuki's today, 3 pairs of 300b's and 3 pairs of 274b's, 12 tubes in all...
Had to ditch the 274b boxes though, each tube packed individually and taking up the same space as the 300b pairs in their wooden box.
Seem very well built though, thick glass and sturdy bases. Now to get back to aus and try them out. I'd post pics, but the hotel Internet is being a bitch!

Umm... wow! Why so many?

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #32,025 of 42,298

A mighty purdy piece.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back