Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #30,526 of 42,298

No worries and my bad if my response came off a little blunt, it was late.

No, not at all.
beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #30,527 of 42,298

I upgraded to WA5LE but unfortunately/fortunately that my work is so busy I have to resell the WA5LE.  Will try to get the WA5 probably later next year, currently I'm still too busy to listen to anything lately.

I enjoy watching your journey with work/travel, audio & photography. Can' wait for you to bring the WA5 home! 

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #30,528 of 42,298
On the single ended vs balanced input, I had recently checked with Jack and he mentioned that for the "latest WA22, they have included a RCA to XLR phase splitter circuit built into the amp and we should get similar performance from RCA and XLR inputs. However, the XLR will sound cleaner and more open since it does not pass through the phase splitter circuit."

Do we know if most WA22 has this phase splitter, or this is a more recent change?

I will test RCA vs Balanced on mine tonight and let you know if I can tell a notable difference or not, as mine should be one of the "latest" WA22's.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #30,530 of 42,298
Regarding the WA22... there are $650 of upgraded tubes recommended on Woo's site. Are all these excellent choices, or is it a better idea just to go stock and buy different tubes? (I listen to Rock/EDM and prefer a slightly V-shaped sound, if that helps.) I would also ask the same question for the WA6-SE, since I have not yet made a decision between the two.

(I'm not trying to rehash 1000s of pages of tube rolling discussion, just want to get a feel if I would be making an expensive mistake going with Woo's upgrades...)

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #30,531 of 42,298
  Regarding the WA22... there are $650 of upgraded tubes recommended on Woo's site. Are all these excellent choices, or is it a better idea just to go stock and buy different tubes? (I listen to Rock/EDM and prefer a slightly V-shaped sound, if that helps.) I would also ask the same question for the WA6-SE, since I have not yet made a decision between the two.

(I'm not trying to rehash 1000s of pages of tube rolling discussion, just want to get a feel if I would be making an expensive mistake going with Woo's upgrades...)

I think upgraded tubes are important for a WA22 (I can't comment on the WA6SE), but I would personally steer away from the Sophia rectifier and go with something else.  I have found that both the EML 5U4G and several NOS versions (in particular Mullard GZ34 and WE422a) are better options than the Sophia Electric rectifier that Jack offers.  I know opinions will vary, but I think that both the drivers and power tubes that he offers are quite decent.  In the end, I personally ended up with different tubes than anything that Jack offers as upgrades, but I think that aside from the rectifier the upgraded tubes are definitely worth the money for the WA22.  I know that DG (among others) have strong opinions about this, but I just don't find that the Sophia is all that good.  Better than stock? Yes.  But you can do better for less, IMHO.  Or, in my case, for more...

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #30,532 of 42,298

If you are prepared to do some hard work i.e. read through various relevant tube related threads to gain knowledge about various tubes & their characteristics , patiently stalk ebay & contact various tube sellers to get tubes that you want at reasonable prices, then you will get much better tubes , some cheaper , some more expensive but better sounding as well.

If you want to take the easy way  just buy the Woo tube upgrades, you will get reasonably good sound.

So depends on whether you are the tinkering kind of guy who lives for the thrill of the chase of tracking down the next tube & enjoy comparing the sound of various tubes or whether you are a set it & forget it kind of guy who cannot be bothered with all that.

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #30,533 of 42,298

If you are prepared to do some hard work i.e. read through various relevant tube related threads to gain knowledge about various tubes & their characteristics , patiently stalk ebay & contact various tube sellers to get tubes that you want at reasonable prices, then you will get much better tubes , some cheaper , some more expensive but better sounding as well.

If you want to take the easy way  just buy the Woo tube upgrades, you will get reasonably good sound.

So depends on whether you are the tinkering kind of guy who lives for the thrill of the chase of tracking down the next tube & enjoy comparing the sound of various tubes or whether you are a set it & forget it kind of guy who cannot be bothered with all that.

I guess I would be in-between the two extremes. I would like to build up a tube collection, and if the Woo upgrades serve as a good start then I'm fine with that.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #30,534 of 42,298
I will test RCA vs Balanced on mine tonight and let you know if I can tell a notable difference or not, as mine should be one of the "latest" WA22's.

You should be able to tell pretty easily. My WA22 is about 3 years old and the balanced inputs play MUCH louder than the RCA inputs.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #30,535 of 42,298

I guess I would be in-between the two extremes. I would like to build up a tube collection, and if the Woo upgrades serve as a good start then I'm fine with that.

As a starter Tube upgrade kit for the WA22 get :

Rectifier :
RCA 5U4G ($30 - $50) or Mullard GZ32 ($50-$80) or USAF 596 - adapter required (around $ 150 )

Power :
TS 7236 is available cheaper at other places (PM me if you need more info). You can also get  GEC 6080 /Mullard 6080 / Chatham or Bendix 6080 WB Graphite Plates ($ 100 - 150 pair)

Driver:
Ken Rad VT231 6SN7GT  or Brimar CV1988 or RCA Red Base 5692 or Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7GT  or Tung Sol  6F8G or National Union 6F8G or Sylvania 6F8G ($ 150 - 200 pair). Adapter required for 6F8G.

the above upgrades should cost you around $ 300- 450 & will give SQ equal (if not better) to the upgrades offered by Woo @ 650 IMO.

Only Caveat is patience & little effort is required to obtain the above at reasonable prices.

There are a whole lot more upgrades available (please check my profile for the one's I have) but I have just listed those which will give you great sound within a specified budget.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #30,536 of 42,298
You should be able to tell pretty easily. My WA22 is about 3 years old and the balanced inputs play MUCH louder than the RCA inputs.

Then indeed the phase splitter allows newer wa22 to utilize the full balanced circuit from the RCA inputs as they output similar (if not exaxtly the same) volume level. bonesnv would be interested in your findings.

Wonder when was the change made....

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #30,537 of 42,298

Personally I feel the Woo recommended tubes are safe choices that are all rounded, not the most tubey nor SS sound, not too bassy nor treble oriented, and quite balanced as a set. Definitely a lot better than stock. Though we all have our preferences and my own choice would be Chatham 2399 + sylvania VT231 + USAF596 (with adapter).

Buying from Woo is definitely more expensive than deals we can find around different sites, but Woo do give you peace of mind... e.g. I got matched pair tubes from eBay seller with great feedback but end up finding 2db imbalance on left and right channel... also gotten tubes from local forum that is badly microphonic... I have also bought metal based tube from a site who shipped me tubes with badly pitted base... so in a sense you pay more to woo for real matched silence NOS tubes for a premium.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #30,538 of 42,298

As a starter Tube upgrade kit for the WA22 get :

Rectifier :
RCA 5U4G ($30 - $50) or Mullard GZ32 ($50-$80) or USAF 596 - adapter required (around $ 150 )

Power :
TS 7236 is available cheaper at other places (PM me if you need more info). You can also get  GEC 6080 /Mullard 6080 / Chatham or Bendix 6080 WB Graphite Plates ($ 100 - 150 pair)

Driver:
Ken Rad VT231 6SN7GT  or Brimar CV1988 or RCA Red Base 5692 or Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7GT  or Tung Sol  6F8G or National Union 6F8G or Sylvania 6F8G ($ 150 - 200 pair). Adapter required for 6F8G.

the above upgrades should cost you around $ 300- 450 & will give SQ equal (if not better) to the upgrades offered by Woo @ 650 IMO.

Only Caveat is patience & little effort is required to obtain the above at reasonable prices.

There are a whole lot more upgrades available (please check my profile for the one's I have) but I have just listed those which will give you great sound within a specified budget.

Totally agreed, my recommendations in red.

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #30,539 of 42,298
Everything as said above is great advice to take. They haven't steered me wrong yet.  Granted, I am now addicted to tubes like I am tattoos thanks to them but that's neither here nor there. 
biggrin.gif

With that said, I tried the RCA vs XLR last night, difference was pretty noticeable.  Same DAC, same songs (Muse - Supremacy, Mediterranean Nights and Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You), same headphones and relatively equal quality interconnects.  With the RCA I had to turn the volume knob up a few steps to get it to sound as loud, but it didn't sound as good even with it turned up louder.  It was almost like the WA22 lost something, somewhat like listening to the 6SE again but with just a tad more openness due to the tubes.  Now the DAC could have attributed to some of this change, so have to take that into account a bit.

However, I think if you are going the WA22 route, balanced should be your choice.  If you aren't going balanced, I think there are other more appropriate options.

P.S.  Zeppelins original recordings are way better than Jimmy Page's remasters.  Don't know if it is nostalgia or what, but his remasters switch the channels around and seem to completely move around the sound stage, don't like it, others may love it, personal opinion.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #30,540 of 42,298
I think upgraded tubes are important for a WA22 (I can't comment on the WA6SE), but I would personally steer away from the Sophia rectifier and go with something else.  I have found that both the EML 5U4G and several NOS versions (in particular Mullard GZ34 and WE422a) are better options than the Sophia Electric rectifier that Jack offers.  I know opinions will vary, but I think that both the drivers and power tubes that he offers are quite decent.  In the end, I personally ended up with different tubes than anything that Jack offers as upgrades, but I think that aside from the rectifier the upgraded tubes are definitely worth the money for the WA22.  I know that DG (among others) have strong opinions about this, but I just don't find that the Sophia is all that good.  Better than stock? Yes.  But you can do better for less, IMHO.  Or, in my case, for more...

i agree, but i also find EML to be "not as good". for the price. shipped its over 260$ probably close to 300. its a great tube and all but for that much money one should definitely skip over it and get a metall mullard, 422a, u52.... something nice like that :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back