Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #30,511 of 42,299
I think the WA22 in balanced mode is definitely a step above the 6SE, as others have said.  It feels much more expansive and almost 3 dimensional with premium tubes.  Like I said in an earlier post, if music gives me goosebumps then I know I made the right decision. 

If going unbalanced, 6SE is basically awesome.  I didn't have a single complaint about it, I just wanted to go that next step up and had a specific need/purpose.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #30,512 of 42,299

Yeah, I've read that if one uses the RCA inputs on the WA22 only half the amp is operating since there is no "phase splitter". However I do have a DAC with balanced outputs and don't imagine ever owning one that wouldn't have such given the DAC price points I'm comfortable with.

Adding up costs, a fully-maxed WA22 would be $2645 versus a WA6-SE at $1366. Certainly the WA6-SE makes more logical sense given that people think the SQ difference is real but small; but dayum, the WA22 is so sexy with all those tubes. I have some thinking to do.

I was in your shoes not too long ago and ended up going with WA22.  Don't forget that the WA22 has imp selector which is quite versatile in matching your HPs.

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #30,513 of 42,299
  I think the WA22 in balanced mode is definitely a step above the 6SE, as others have said.  It feels much more expansive and almost 3 dimensional with premium tubes.  Like I said in an earlier post, if music gives me goosebumps then I know I made the right decision. 

If going unbalanced, 6SE is basically awesome.  I didn't have a single complaint about it, I just wanted to go that next step up and had a specific need/purpose.

I see you own both the WA6-6SE (I also do at the moment, but I'm selling the 6SE)…just curious about your opinion about the differences between these two amps that you hear, and also if you prefer one more than the other, and why.
Thanks

I was in your shoes not too long ago and ended up going with WA22.  Don't forget that the WA22 has imp selector which is quite versatile in matching your HPs.

Both the WA6 (selector switch) 6SE (headphone outputs) have low/high impedance. selector/headphone output

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #30,514 of 42,299
On the single ended vs balanced input, I had recently checked with Jack and he mentioned that for the "latest WA22, they have included a RCA to XLR phase splitter circuit built into the amp and we should get similar performance from RCA and XLR inputs. However, the XLR will sound cleaner and more open since it does not pass through the phase splitter circuit."

Do we know if most WA22 has this phase splitter, or this is a more recent change?

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #30,515 of 42,299
  I see you own both the WA6-6SE (I also do at the moment, but I'm selling the 6SE)…just curious about your opinion about the differences between these two amps that you hear, and also if you prefer one more than the other, and why.
Thanks

Both the WA6 (selector switch) 6SE (headphone outputs) have low/high impedance. selector/headphone output

The WA22 in balanced mode has a much more expansive sound stage.  Listening to music using the premium tubes available, it is like being right at the concert, or sitting in the studio during the recording process as the band plays for you.  The 6SE was an enjoyable amp but I found it solid state sounding, no matter the tubes I chose short of maybe the CV593.  Yes, it sounded fantastic and not knocking it at all, had I not wanted balanced I would have kept it as my primary and probably continued to be happy as a clam, but I made a plunge and don't regret it in the least.

The WA22 just seems to bring out the subtle nuances of the music more than 6SE, it just does everything just a bit better where all of it kind of just adds up to amazing.  I honestly really suck at describing sound signatures, so not sure I am the person to ask for comparisons.  
To me, the difference was not subtle though between the two amps.  The WA22 sounds superior on every level on every song I have listened to.

Listening to Muse - 2nd Law at the moment, not even a huge Muse fan but this album is just pure fun to listen to on this amp.  Same with any Pink Floyd, Tool, Deep Purple, etc, etc.

Still don't like the T1's, sorry to all the fans, I tried.  Just ain't my style, can't seem to listen to them for more than a few specific songs.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #30,516 of 42,299

The WA22 in balanced mode has a much more expansive sound stage.  Listening to music using the premium tubes available, it is like being right at the concert, or sitting in the studio during the recording process as the band plays for you.  The 6SE was an enjoyable amp but I found it solid state sounding, no matter the tubes I chose short of maybe the CV593.  Yes, it sounded fantastic and not knocking it at all, had I not wanted balanced I would have kept it as my primary and probably continued to be happy as a clam, but I made a plunge and don't regret it in the least.

The WA22 just seems to bring out the subtle nuances of the music more than 6SE, it just does everything just a bit better where all of it kind of just adds up to amazing.  I honestly really suck at describing sound signatures, so not sure I am the person to ask for comparisons.  
To me, the difference was not subtle though between the two amps.  The WA22 sounds superior on every level on every song I have listened to.

Listening to Muse - 2nd Law at the moment, not even a huge Muse fan but this album is just pure fun to listen to on this amp.  Same with any Pink Floyd, Tool, Deep Purple, etc, etc.

Still don't like the T1's, sorry to all the fans, I tried.  Just ain't my style, can't seem to listen to them for more than a few specific songs.

Thanks for the reply…but I was asking about how you felt about the WA6 compared th the 6SE, not the WA22.
Anyway, I totally agree with you about the 6SE sounding more like a SS amp, which I'm in no way am I knocking either…but I preferred the WA6 due to it sounding more like a tube amp with the 6SN7's, which the 6SE does not accept, and like you, no matter which tube combos I died, it still sounded like a SS amp to me, with the closest combo for my liking with the SP/6FD7's…using Grado RS1i's.
Thanks

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #30,517 of 42,299
   The 6SE was an enjoyable amp but I found it solid state sounding, no matter the tubes I chose short of maybe the CV593.  

Interesting. In that case I will definitely rule out the 6SE in favor of the 22 because I already have great solid-state amps. The 22 I heard at the SF meet definitely had a liquid, tubed quality that was intoxicating. (The Schiit Valhalla 2 was the same way but it does not offer enough power.)

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #30,518 of 42,299
  Thanks for the reply…but I was asking about how you felt about the WA6 compared th the 6SE, not the WA22.
Anyway, I totally agree with you about the 6SE sounding more like a SS amp, which I'm in no way am I knocking either…but I preferred the WA6 due to it sounding more like a tube amp with the 6SN7's, which the 6SE does not accept, and like you, no matter which tube combos I died, it still sounded like a SS amp to me, with the closest combo for my liking with the SP/6FD7's…using Grado RS1i's.
Thanks

Umm, I don't and have never owned a WA6, haven't even heard one, so no clue on how the two compare sound wise.

Assumed you were referring to amps I actually had.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #30,519 of 42,299
@ bonesnv

I think you got the WooAudio WA22 versus the WA 6 Special Edition quite right. I'm a former owner of the latter and have sat with the former a couple of times. A couple of years ago and maybe one more, I sought to go from the Special Edition up to the WA22. Tried to scoop up a Black one pre-owned but lucky for me I could neither buy one or pry one. 
tongue_smile.gif

This gave me the opportunity to sit back and rethink my desire and strategy. When the smoke cleared I decided it was better for me to leap frog the '22' w/premium tubes and get a pre-owned WA5. Never got the '5' but it still made more sense to me for potential dollars spent. 

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #30,520 of 42,299
  @ bonesnv

I think you got the WooAudio WA22 versus the WA 6 Special Edition quite right. I'm a former owner of the latter and have sat with the former a couple of times. A couple of years ago and maybe one more, I sought to go from the Special Edition up to the WA22. Tried to scoop up a Black one pre-owned but lucky for me I could neither buy one or pry one. 
tongue_smile.gif

This gave me the opportunity to sit back and rethink my desire and strategy. When the smoke cleared I decided it was better for me to leap frog the '22' w/premium tubes and get a pre-owned WA5. Never got the '5' but it still made more sense to me for potential dollars spent. 

I upgraded to WA5LE but unfortunately/fortunately that my work is so busy I have to resell the WA5LE.  Will try to get the WA5 probably later next year, currently I'm still too busy to listen to anything lately.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #30,521 of 42,299
yes the 22 is a much better amp but really comes into it's own with balanced operations and tube rolling. I do like the 6se however. It is a great alrounder, and with stocktubes that is also easy to get the best tubes into it cheaply.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #30,524 of 42,299

Umm, I don't and have never owned a WA6, haven't even heard one, so no clue on how the two compare sound wise.

Assumed you were referring to amps I actually had.

Sorry, I misread your signature, and thought you owned the WA6 and the 6SE as well as the WA22.
But I still agree with what you said about the 6SE having a SS sound…even compared to the WA6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back