Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 28, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #7,474 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

However there is something else that I think I'm hearing with the 192 setting that is not there when I have the DAC set to 96.  It is not something that is easy to describe, but a kind of an extra pressure that is there.  Have you guys ever heard/felt that experience?  When I switch back to 96 it goes away immediately.

Not sure if this is the same thing you experience, but for me, the 96 setting is more relaxed and natural, almost laid back, while the 192 setting is a little bit edgier and (dare I say it) more digital. I don't prefer either one outright, just select one or another based on mood.

Yeah, I agree the DLIII sounds different in 96k vs 192K mode.  When I had mine the 96K mode was better for my Woo WA6 with RCA 6DE7 and Sophia Princess 274b, because it was as you say "more relaxed and natural sounding" (just like the Stello DA1000); but the 192K mode was best for my Woo GES with GE 12AX7 for Stax O2 because it sounded a little brighter and a little more open and airy which complemented my slightly dark sounding O2.  With a poor transport and too much jitter, then the 192K mode did sound more digital as you said, but with a good transport like Macbook Pro optical out or a Marantz CDP coax out I thought the 192K mode was pretty good.  For $699 with a good transport the DLIII made a great source for my Woo amps, although my Perfectwave DAC is a nice step up.  With the PWD I actually leave it in "native" mode with no up-sampling, and haven't compared the differences with up-sampling even though I've had it for 9 months.  With the DLIII it was always on and you had no choice but to try one or the other.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #7,475 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Hope there is no heavy snow fall in Amsterdam, good luck for the tubes search.

I'm not in Amsterdam but I got over 20 inches last night.  Time to go back to listening...

20 inches of snow?!
blink.gif
 Are U in South Pole?
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #7,477 of 42,298

Quote:
Close and I'm very tired too of shovel all those white stuff. Time to get a snow blower very fast. Thank god, I have this week off.

I hear there is another one coming in, but not as bad.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #7,481 of 42,298
When talking transports I wouldn't include any computer in that group.  You are better off playing files.  If you are playing CD's then you need a dedicated player or transport.  All the money spent on tubes and a Woo aren't going to matter if your transport isn't the at the same level.   A good transport isn't cheap by any means and they are prone to problems down the road because they are mechanical with drawer loading mechanisms save top loaders.  The good news is you can pick up a great used transport that would have cost thousands years back for a deal these days.  However the way everything is going is file playback.  Sure there will always be CD's but you can get a great DAC these days and hook it up to your computer and do away with a transport.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #7,482 of 42,298

Quote:
When talking transports I wouldn't include any computer in that group.  You are better off playing files.  If you are playing CD's then you need a dedicated player or transport.  All the money spent on tubes and a Woo aren't going to matter if your transport isn't the at the same level.   A good transport isn't cheap by any means and they are prone to problems down the road because they are mechanical with drawer loading mechanisms save top loaders.  The good news is you can pick up a great used transport that would have cost thousands years back for a deal these days.  However the way everything is going is file playback.  Sure there will always be CD's but you can get a great DAC these days and hook it up to your computer and do away with a transport.  

I like the idea that PS Audio is using for their transport.  They read the disk into memory, and play from there.  All error correction is before the memory buffer.

I arree with you that files are going to be a lot bigger then they are now, but I don't think that it's going to be totally files though.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #7,483 of 42,298
I like their idea too.  I and some others had been discussing that very same idea a few years before his came out.  I do think everything will be files though.  Eventually I would think some sort of monthly service subscription with a direct connect?  Still you can avoid all the cost of a transport by getting a primo USB DAC or HDMI DAC eventually (I know PS has this already but to what extent I don't know).  What I'd really like to see is someone like Apple or computer based company to come up with a DAC solution that is not only high end but because of their technology/production....inexpensive too offering the masses a great sound.

BTW-the 22 is sounding better every day!  I'm just letting it run about 6 hours at a time.

Lately I've been looking at all the MFSL, DCC, and Japanese mini disks I own and wondering why I don't just burn them, back them up and sell them?  Don't know.  My fear is I lose all my files and backup but what are the chances?

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #7,484 of 42,298
Soon to be Woo owner here - just ordered a WA2 for my HD600's after a LOT of reading and a few emails back and forth with Jack. A little nervous about tube availability & cost, but I'm looking forward to a big step up from my HR-2. Going to be added to a dedicated Mac Mini music server (with Pure Music software), Apogee Duet firewire DAC and Cardas cable. Silver, of course to match the Apple stuff. The Mini is headless and I run it with an iPad over WiFi.

Keith

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #7,485 of 42,298
Quote:
Soon to be Woo owner here - just ordered a WA2 for my HD600's after a LOT of reading and a few emails back and forth with Jack. A little nervous about tube availability & cost, but I'm looking forward to a big step up from my HR-2. Going to be added to a dedicated Mac Mini music server (with Pure Music software), Apogee Duet firewire DAC and Cardas cable. Silver, of course to match the Apple stuff. The Mini is headless and I run it with an iPad over WiFi.

Keith

Welcome to the club Keith. When can you expect delivery?
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back