Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 27, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #7,457 of 42,298
Dec 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #7,458 of 42,298
Some interesting changes in my system.

After dusting off my Monarchy DIP and putting it back into my system, I changed from 96 to 192 kHz on my PS Audio DLIII DAC and I am looking for the performance gains I have read about in a few reviews.

Putting the DIP in there definitely bumps performance.  I do get a more air or sense of space around instruments and people.  The biggest thing I think I can say is that it seems like the headphones have disappeared.  The sound does not seem to come from the headphones anymore but present themselves.  Kind of like when you get your speakers set up just right and they disappear from the picture.

However there is something else that I think I'm hearing with the 192 setting that is not there when I have the DAC set to 96.  It is not something that is easy to describe, but a kind of an extra pressure that is there.  Have you guys ever heard/felt that experience?  When I switch back to 96 it goes away immediately.

The other point I wanted to share about the DIP is that there is very little difference in audio quality when I come from my laptop or Wadia i170.  The stuff from my laptop has a little of that high pressure thing, but very little.  I like that I can get higher definition tunes to play full bandwidth from my laptop.  

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #7,459 of 42,298
I got about a foot or so here and I live roughly 45 minutes west of Boston.  I had submitted PTO for today a couple of months ago, but work was cancelled due to the storm.  Here's to hoping my boss is nice enough to give me an additional day off!
beerchug.gif

Also, thanks John (nututubes) for letting me borrow the GEC 6AS7Gs!  I'm listening to them now w/ some hot chocolate and watching the wind blow the snow around outside.  Some Pink Floyd would be perfect right around now... 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #7,460 of 42,298
You guys want to test out your rig.  After reading Tone Audio Mag's killer review of Eno's Small Craft in a Milk Sea from Beep.com in 24 bit I downloaded it (it takes time too) and Ambient music deluxe here.  Giving the new rig a real workout!

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #7,461 of 42,298
Quote:

After dusting off my Monarchy DIP and putting it back into my system, I changed from 96 to 192 kHz on my PS Audio DLIII DAC and I am looking for the performance gains I have read about in a few reviews.

Putting the DIP in there definitely bumps performance.  I do get a more air or sense of space around instruments and people.  The biggest thing I think I can say is that it seems like the headphones have disappeared.  The sound does not seem to come from the headphones anymore but present themselves.  Kind of like when you get your speakers set up just right and they disappear from the picture.

However there is something else that I think I'm hearing with the 192 setting that is not there when I have the DAC set to 96.  It is not something that is easy to describe, but a kind of an extra pressure that is there.  Have you guys ever heard/felt that experience?  When I switch back to 96 it goes away immediately.

The other point I wanted to share about the DIP is that there is very little difference in audio quality when I come from my laptop or Wadia i170.  The stuff from my laptop has a little of that high pressure thing, but very little.  I like that I can get higher definition tunes to play full bandwidth from my laptop.  

Yep, I know what you're talking about with the DLIII.  I've had it on 96kHz for the longest time until a few weeks ago and I haven't looked back since.  There's more clarity and separation. 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #7,462 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Yep, I know what you're talking about with the DLIII.  I've had it on 96kHz for the longest time until a few weeks ago and I haven't looked back since.  There's more clarity and separation. 
darthsmile.gif

So you like 96 best then?

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #7,463 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

darthsmile.gif

Nope, 192kHz.  Sorry if I wasn't clear... this music + hot chocolate is making me sleepy.
basshead.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #7,464 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

darthsmile.gif

Nope, 192kHz.  Sorry if I wasn't clear... this music + hot chocolate is making me sleepy.
basshead.gif

Ok, this is what I am trying to get to.  You like 192.  We both have the same DAC.  What is the source for the DAC?

Also, I get the clarity and seperation stuff.  Do you ever hear something that is barely audible, but is like high pressure on your ears?

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #7,465 of 42,298

Quote:
You guys want to test out your rig.  After reading Tone Audio Mag's killer review of Eno's Small Craft in a Milk Sea from Beep.com in 24 bit I downloaded it (it takes time too) and Ambient music deluxe here.  Giving the new rig a real workout!

A fellow Eno fan, wonderful!

His albums are so intricately produced, they are absolutely made for headphone listening. 

The 24bit download of his new release is quite good, I also recommend it highly.

Great Fun!

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #7,466 of 42,298
Well I went by the store and it is closed today. And from what I've observed from the window they probably sell no tubes but I thought it might have been a good place to start to ask where one would go to buy them. It's really just a hifi store. http://hifisolutions.nl/
It's by Wertheimpark, by the Plantage District.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #7,467 of 42,298

Quote:
Well I went by the store and it is closed today. And from what I've observed from the window they probably sell no tubes but I thought it might have been a good place to start to ask where one would go to buy them. It's really just a hifi store. http://hifisolutions.nl/

You are so close to England, maybe you can find a few pairs of GEC 6as7G's!

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7,468 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

You are so close to England, maybe you can find a few pairs of GEC 6as7G's!

I actually had to cancel my flight to and from England / Amsterdam because of the weather and Boxing Day so I'm returning to San Francisco on 29 Dec. I leave Schiphol Airport at 11:15 AM on 29 Dec. and land at SF Airport at 1:30 PM the same day. So no tubes from England. I wish I could have visited the old Mullard Factory in Blackburn.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #7,469 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

darthsmile.gif

basshead.gif

Ok, this is what I am trying to get to.  You like 192.  We both have the same DAC.  What is the source for the DAC?

Also, I get the clarity and seperation stuff.  Do you ever hear something that is barely audible, but is like high pressure on your ears?

I'm just using my motherboard's optical output from my computer.  As for the barely audible high pressure, I don't hear a difference when I switch between 96 and 192kHz.  Is it a very constant low-level sound when you're not playing any music?  If so, it could just be hum from the amp.

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #7,470 of 42,298

Quote:

Not sure if this is the same thing you experience, but for me, the 96 setting is more relaxed and natural, almost laid back, while the 192 setting is a little bit edgier and (dare I say it) more digital. I don't prefer either one outright, just select one or another based on mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back