Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 25, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #7,426 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Well then how about the wife's kidney.

Anyway It took me 10 days of phone and E-Mail negotiations and research with the non for profit organization I got my WE300Bs from, at a price close to what I could afford.

imo you do have a good match with the 300B's you do have.

Yes your WA5 should have np powering the LCD-2's. If it where not for the challenge of powering the HE6 I probably would have stuck with my HD-800. I always wondered why I needed all the power of the WA5 and as blind luck would have it I now know.

Haha, good suggestion, I'll think about that.
biggrin.gif

I read about the path how you get the amazing WE300Bs in your thread which is not an easy deal that you've spend a lot of time in the communication with the society members. BTW, I'm quiet satisfy with the EATs in the WA5LE. And will wait a while for the LCD-2, it's too hot in the meanwhile.

The WA5 is really powerful, before I mod the stock Alps to a Shallco attenuator, I rarely dial the knob to the 10 o'clock position, 9 to 9300 is probably the best pair with the HD800. But it's interesting, after replaced by the Shallco, I hvae to turn 10 to 11 click that similar to 10 to 1030 position and this attenuator is even perform much better sonically in all aspect than the Alps but you need to do some file and drilling works with proper tools in both the chassis and the hole of the volume knob because it is huge compare with the Alps. But it really worth the extra work, sound amazing.

Yes as I said your EAT's are what I would be running now, if it wasn't for the good old boys.

With my ALPS RK50 in my WA5LE and my HD-800's 9:30 is about max. And yes Jack had to cut out about a square  inch in the bottom plate to get the Alps to fit. The stock Alps Jack uses is the low end of the alps line, and that's why I went for the huge Alps upgrade, plus Jack was very kind to me on the price. 

With my HE6's I have the alps set at about 12:00 for CD's and 1:00 for movies. But with the HE6's its not about the volume its about the power of the amp, and that's where the four big towers on are WA5's come into play. I finely found a head phone deserving of are WA5 and all its power, truly a great match.

I saw a picture of your WA22 and let me say you do a very nice job of modding.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #7,427 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes as I said your EAT's are what I would be running now, if it wasn't for the good old boys.

With my ALPS RK50 in my WA5LE and my HD-800's 9:30 is about max. And yes Jack had to cut out about a square  inch in the bottom plate to get the Alps to fit. The stock Alps Jack uses is the low end of the alps line, and that's why I went for the huge Alps upgrade, plus Jack was very kind to me on the price. 

With my HE6's I have the alps set at about 12:00 for CD's and 1:00 for movies. But with the HE6's its not about the volume its about the power of the amp, and that's where the four big towers on are WA5's come into play. I finely found a head phone deserving of are WA5 and all its power, truly a great match.

I saw a picture of your WA22 and let me say you do a very nice job of modding.

The EAT is probably the best I can afford for the type 300Bs in the moment or maybe I will find and try some EML or KR later.

Wow, the HE-6 is really a power hunger. I do play 9:30 to 10:00 max on the stock Alps blue velvet in my WA5LE before mod, the RK50 may have the very similar construction so you have the max vol at 9:30 same as the stock VC. The Shallco is also in 100K resistance but the configuration of the resistors maybe a bit different than the Alps so why I need to dial a bit higher.

Thanks for the kind words, when I sold the WA22 to jc there is some accident caused by the shippment then jc shipped it back to Jack for a repir that he stated in his earlier posts. Finally, Jack fixed the problems and re-arranged some of the components in the WA22 and make it more neat and tidy.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #7,428 of 42,298
Grumble grumble, sillysally doesn't have to build a whole new system because he had the right amp for the HE-6 all along and didn't even know it, while I am still mucking about considering a new balanced DAC for my speaker amp! Oh well, the HE-6 still rocks but I don't know how much time I will spend with it in its stand-alone system now that I have I have my LCD-2, it's really a great compliment to the HD800 on the WA22.

On the bright side I only needed to buy one EML 5U4G, as it cost almost as much as the Emotiva DAC I am looking at 
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #7,429 of 42,298

Quote:
Grumble grumble, sillysally doesn't have to build a whole new system because he had the right amp for the HE-6 all along and didn't even know it, while I am still mucking about considering a new balanced DAC for my speaker amp! Oh well, the HE-6 still rocks but I don't know how much time I will spend with it in its stand-alone system now that I have I have my LCD-2, it's really a great compliment to the HD800 on the WA22.

On the bright side I only needed to buy one EML 5U4G, as it cost almost as much as the Emotiva DAC I am looking at 
biggrin.gif

Sometimes you just have to pay.  But it is really worth it.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #7,430 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

No "PAY" no gain?
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #7,431 of 42,298
Santa just delivered a Woo WA6 with a Sophia Princess 274B. I'm running my Denon Markl modded D5000's. I couldn't be more pleased.
atsmile.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #7,432 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

No "PAY" no gain?
biggrin.gif

Yes!
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7,435 of 42,298

Quote:
Tung Sols are selling at Ebay for $60+...  At that price, I think it's better to just save up for the EML 5U4G...

Anyways, Merry Christmas everybody!

The Tung Sol 5u4gb's are more plentiful and sell for a lot less on ebay than the 5u4g.  To me, they sound just as good if not a little better (tighter bass).  A great low cost back-up to the EML's.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #7,436 of 42,298
Um... dang... ok... I'll consider it again...

Quote:
The Tung Sol 5u4gb's are more plentiful and sell for a lot less on ebay than the 5u4g.  To me, they sound just as good if not a little better (tighter bass).  A great low cost back-up to the EML's.

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #7,437 of 42,298
If you have the bug for the EML then you might as well save up for it.  As sillysally said once you have an EML rectifier you can consider yourself done.  There really is nothing better out there, but there is fun/value in tube rolling just to experience different flavors and gain knowledge.  Purely for sound quality if you want the best the EML is the last stop on the train ride so buying other tubes is a waste of money if you are going to end up at the last stop anyway unless you just want to hear them for the sake of it the way I do.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #7,439 of 42,298
Well I thought I might as well start rolling some I got some cheap tubes to start me:

PHILCO 5U4GB 5U4 TUBE BLACK PLATES HALO GETTER

6FD7 Tube Sylvania US NOS Big Bottle

See how my WA6 sounds.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #7,440 of 42,298

Quote:
If you have the bug for the EML then you might as well save up for it.  As sillysally said once you have an EML rectifier you can consider yourself done.  There really is nothing better out there, but there is fun/value in tube rolling just to experience different flavors and gain knowledge.  Purely for sound quality if you want the best the EML is the last stop on the train ride so buying other tubes is a waste of money if you are going to end up at the last stop anyway unless you just want to hear them for the sake of it the way I do.

Thanks for the validation Xcaliber, I needed that..!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back