Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #7,441 of 42,298

Quote:
Grumble grumble, sillysally doesn't have to build a whole new system because he had the right amp for the HE-6 all along and didn't even know it, while I am still mucking about considering a new balanced DAC for my speaker amp! Oh well, the HE-6 still rocks but I don't know how much time I will spend with it in its stand-alone system now that I have I have my LCD-2, it's really a great compliment to the HD800 on the WA22.

On the bright side I only needed to buy one EML 5U4G, as it cost almost as much as the Emotiva DAC I am looking at 
biggrin.gif

Yes I didn't know I had the right amp, but then again you never really know until you try it. But I did have a good idea that the WA5LE would power the HE6's.
This amp doesn't weigh 75 pounds because its big but because of the large well made transformers that Jack uses with the WA5, and that is were the power of this amp comes into play. As I have said all along, its not about volume its about power for the HE6. And because of this power you do need a very good pot and that's why I had Jack put in the Alps RK50.
As far as a balanced amp and gear's yes if it has the power of the WA5LE then that's fine but not necessary to go balanced. As with any amp its what's inside, tubes and supporting gears that matter.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #7,442 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:
Grumble grumble, sillysally doesn't have to build a whole new system because he had the right amp for the HE-6 all along and didn't even know it, while I am still mucking about considering a new balanced DAC for my speaker amp! Oh well, the HE-6 still rocks but I don't know how much time I will spend with it in its stand-alone system now that I have I have my LCD-2, it's really a great compliment to the HD800 on the WA22.

On the bright side I only needed to buy one EML 5U4G, as it cost almost as much as the Emotiva DAC I am looking at 
biggrin.gif

Yes I didn't know I had the right amp, but then again you never really know until you try it. But I did have a good idea that the WA5LE would power the HE6's.
This amp doesn't weigh 75 pounds because its big but because of the large well made transformers that Jack uses with the WA5, and that is were the power of this amp comes into play. As I have said all along, its not about volume its about power for the HE6. And because of this power you do need a very good pot and that's why I had Jack put in the Alps RK50.
As far as a balanced amp and gear's yes if it has the power of the WA5LE then that's fine but not necessary to go balanced. As with any amp its what's inside, tubes and supporting gears that matter.

Although I only have the HD800 and DX1000 in the meanwhile (hopefully bet the LCD-2 very soon), I agree totally about the power of the WA5LE and a good volume pot may improve the already very good WA5LE a lot.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #7,443 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Is there any advantage to the WA5 non LE version when powering extremely difficult headphones like HE-6 and K1000?

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #7,444 of 42,298
Quote:
If you have the bug for the EML then you might as well save up for it.  As sillysally said once you have an EML rectifier you can consider yourself done.  There really is nothing better out there, but there is fun/value in tube rolling just to experience different flavors and gain knowledge.  Purely for sound quality if you want the best the EML is the last stop on the train ride so buying other tubes is a waste of money if you are going to end up at the last stop anyway unless you just want to hear them for the sake of it the way I do.

I'll have to echo this statement!  I went from the stock 5U4G to the EML 5U4G mesh and never looked back.  The only other rectifer tube I've tried is the EML 5U4G solid plate but the mesh is more refined and enjoyable by a small margin. 
darthsmile.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #7,445 of 42,298

Quote:
Is there any advantage to the WA5 non LE version when powering extremely difficult headphones like HE-6 and K1000?

I have a WA5 (non LE) and am using the K1000 jack to power an HE-6 and the sound is incredible!  I wasn't sure how that jack would do when I ordered the HE-6.  I rigged a speaker adapter cable from the 1/4" adapter cable to see if the speaker taps sounded better.  The sound is basically the same.  It only takes 9:00 on the volume knob to reach my listening level when using the K1K jack.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #7,446 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

According to Jack the power is the same for both the WA5 and LE.
However the WA5 has one 1/4" plug and a XLR connector were the WA5LE has two 1/4" jacks for Low and High imp.. 
The question of the HE6 using the XLR connector was asked and Jacks reply was maybe because of the low imp of the HE6. That said the man that has the WA5 reported that there is NP using the XLR connector for the HE6.

So imo if you are using a balanced system then you may want the XLR connector, if not then as long as you are not braking the headphone cord using the adapter for the 1/4" plug then go with the LE.

I did get a X-10 HE6 headphone cable (15') 1/4" (SE) and my HE6's are very balanced and seem to have a little better volume than the stock cable with the adapter for SE (1/4").

Davo50 you are a faster at the keyboard than me.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #7,447 of 42,298
Anyone have recent order and received times? I realize it's Christmas, but I'm anxious to get my WA6. I ordered exactly 3 weeks ago. The email said 2-3 weeks ship time. I didn't indicate Christmas gift rush or anything so it's totally fine if he put my order behind others to get them out in time for gifts.

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #7,448 of 42,298

I have a WA5 (non LE) and am using the K1000 jack to power an HE-6 and the sound is incredible!  I wasn't sure how that jack would do when I ordered the HE-6.  I rigged a speaker adapter cable from the 1/4" adapter cable to see if the speaker taps sounded better.  The sound is basically the same.  It only takes 9:00 on the volume knob to reach my listening level when using the K1K jack.

The K1K jack and the speaker outputs should sound the same as these are both producing full amplifer power of around 8-9 watts. However the standard headphone outputs of the WA5 and WA5LE both put out the same power of 1.5 watts as stated on Woo Audio's website.

To me the primary advantage of the WA5 is the ability to properly drive the K1000's with the speaker outputs being an added bonus.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #7,450 of 42,298
So the two 1/4" jacks on the LE version have wattage differences in addition to impedance or are they both 1.5w?

Whoops I think DM and myself are asking the same thing 
redface.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #7,451 of 42,298

The 1/4in jacks are the same power, high or low impedance on both the WA5 and WA5LE.

On the WA5 the K1K jack will output speaker level power. I have not tried the K1000 from an LE but from the 1/4in jack on the WA5, which should be the same, there is not enough power to drive the K1000.

Comparing the speaker outputs to the K1K output the overall volume and drive are the same but the dedicated jack still sounds superior I suppose due to better impedance matching.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #7,452 of 42,298
I am now in Amsterdam and I am going to a hifi store down the street to see if they carry any NOS tubes or something or other to add to my Woo. More headphones perhaps? Tot ziens.

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #7,453 of 42,298
What district is the tube store in?

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #7,454 of 42,298

Quote:
I am now in Amsterdam and I am going to a hifi store down the street to see if they carry any NOS tubes or something or other to add to my Woo. More headphones perhaps? Tot ziens.

Nothing better than pulling some tubes in Amsterdam...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back