Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 29, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #7,501 of 42,298

Quote:
Yeah, but I have been rather discouraged in my search for power tubes - not much seems to be available. I have found several RCA 6AS7G's, but nothing in matched pairs. Options seem to be good for 6DJ8/6922's. The Sylvania 7236's Jack is selling may be as good as it gets. This is kind of freaking me out thinking I won't be able to keep this thing going in a few years.

There is no chance of that.  There are literally giant mountains of the Russian 6AS7G equivalent, the 6N13S.  You can buy boxes of 100 of them on EBay right now if you were so inclined.

Better yet, you can buy 100% for sure NOS JAN GE 6AS7GA's from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=072-612

I bought a sweet nice pair just to have one "on ice".  $20/pair.  Nice tubes.

Over a couple years of looking casually on EBay and other sources, I ended up with several dozen pairs of 6AS7/5998/7236 pairs.  More than I even wanted.  There are plenty of them out there, I assure you.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #7,502 of 42,298
So I did find a matched pair of 5998's at least :)

Are the Russian 6H13C's OK sound wise? Most of the tube rolling threads here seem to dismiss them compared to the RCA/TS/GEC options. I also don't recall seeing any comments about the GE JAN 6AS7GA'a either. Been away from tubes for about 15-20 years, so I'm a little paranoid.

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, but I have been rather discouraged in my search for power tubes - not much seems to be available. I have found several RCA 6AS7G's, but nothing in matched pairs. Options seem to be good for 6DJ8/6922's. The Sylvania 7236's Jack is selling may be as good as it gets. This is kind of freaking me out thinking I won't be able to keep this thing going in a few years.

There is no chance of that.  There are literally giant mountains of the Russian 6AS7G equivalent, the 6N13S.  You can buy boxes of 100 of them on EBay right now if you were so inclined.

Better yet, you can buy 100% for sure NOS JAN GE 6AS7GA's from Parts Express:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=072-612

I bought a sweet nice pair just to have one "on ice".  $20/pair.  Nice tubes.

Over a couple years of looking casually on EBay and other sources, I ended up with several dozen pairs of 6AS7/5998/7236 pairs.  More than I even wanted.  There are plenty of them out there, I assure you.

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #7,503 of 42,298

Quote:

Are the Russian 6H13C's OK sound wise? Most of the tube rolling threads here seem to dismiss them compared to the RCA/TS/GEC options. I also don't recall seeing any comments about the GE JAN 6AS7GA'a either. Been away from tubes for about 15-20 years, so I'm a little paranoid.

I don't think the Russian tubes are as good as the US and UK varieties, but they are plenty good enough that you wouldn't need to trash your amp!  Same with the GE 6AS7GA - not my favorite, but great for the money, and to have a back-up pair or three
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #7,504 of 42,298
Thanks - I'm sure once I get the WA2 in a couple weeks and I am blown away by how good it sounds with whatever Jack ships it with, I'll relax considerably. One reason I decided to go with the WA2 rather than the WA6SE is it's tendency towards a warm, tubey sound more than the WA6. I figured this would give me a little more latitude in tubes, since it is very easy to make things bright with cables, etc. After describing what I was looking for to Jack, he recommended the 2 instead of the 6, which aligned with other's comments here.

While I like soundstage and transparency, I crave the liquid, lush and sweet character of tubes that I used to get from my Conrad Johnson and Quicksilver Audio stuff back in the Quad ESL-63 days. "Juicy" would be the single most descriptive adjective I could apply to the sound I like.

I was always more of a Conrad Johnson guy than Audio Research. I owned a CV-7 and MV-75 for several years (originally with ProAc Tablettes). Replaced the MV-75 with the Quicksilver monoblocs after I got the Quads

In the mean time I need to fab an RCA breakout box for the Duet to get rid of the breakout cable supplied. I am going to try and fab a small box attached directly to a sub-min D so I just have an inch or two of some left over vintage hookup wire (I still have some solid Wonder Wire as well as the original MIT stranded chassis wire). I'm sure that will help significantly.

My long term DAC plan is either a Metric Halo ULN-2 or Wavelength Brick unless the new Rega DAC gets some good reviews (I always thought my old Rega Planet CDP sounded great).

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think the Russian tubes are as good as the US and UK varieties, but they are plenty good enough that you wouldn't need to trash your amp!  Same with the GE 6AS7GA - not my favorite, but great for the money, and to have a back-up pair or three
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #7,505 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks - I'm sure once I get the WA2 in a couple weeks and I am blown away by how good it sounds with whatever Jack ships it with, I'll relax considerably. One reason I decided to go with the WA2 rather than the WA6SE is it's tendency towards a warm, tubey sound more than the WA6. I figured this would give me a little more latitude in tubes, since it is very easy to make things bright with cables, etc. After describing what I was looking for to Jack, he recommended the 2 instead of the 6, which aligned with other's comments here.

While I like soundstage and transparency, I crave the liquid, lush and sweet character of tubes that I used to get from my Conrad Johnson and Quicksilver Audio stuff back in the Quad ESL-63 days. "Juicy" would be the single most descriptive adjective I could apply to the sound I like.

I was always more of a Conrad Johnson guy than Audio Research. I owned a CV-7 and MV-75 for several years (originally with ProAc Tablettes). Replaced the MV-75 with the Quicksilver monoblocs after I got the Quads

In the mean time I need to fab an RCA breakout box for the Duet to get rid of the breakout cable supplied. I am going to try and fab a small box attached directly to a sub-min D so I just have an inch or two of some left over vintage hookup wire (I still have some solid Wonder Wire as well as the original MIT stranded chassis wire). I'm sure that will help significantly.

My long term DAC plan is either a Metric Halo ULN-2 or Wavelength Brick unless the new Rega DAC gets some good reviews (I always thought my old Rega Planet CDP sounded great).

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

If you get the Wavelength be sure to post impressions.  I have read alot about that DAC, the designer really believes in USB and apperently he has gotten the most out of it than anybody.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #7,506 of 42,298
Just heard from Jack - only 2 Weeks until the WA2 is ready!

Ordered my WA6 12-3-10 and just today is shipped out (12-29-10) and was quoted 2-3 weeks. Might take a bit longer than you are expecting.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #7,507 of 42,298
DAC upgrade is going to have to wait a few months after buying the Woo :) I would like to get some feedback on the new Rega before doing anything. 

Gordon is quite a prolific poster over on the Computer Audiophile forum - interesting guy with strong opinions.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #7,508 of 42,298
No problem - not going to sweat another week or so.

Quote:
Quote:
Just heard from Jack - only 2 Weeks until the WA2 is ready!

Ordered my WA6 12-3-10 and just today is shipped out (12-29-10) and was quoted 2-3 weeks. Might take a bit longer than you are expecting.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #7,509 of 42,298
Jim at Vacuum Tubes Inc. (which is here in Orlando - small world) had 2 pairs of NOS RCA 6AS7G's in boxes for $30 a pair - I bought them both. He has several EZ80's, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for there yet. Also not sure how high end I want to go on the 6DJ8/6922 yet either. 

I figure a pair of the GE 6AS7GA's and maybe a pair of the 6N13/6H13's to try and I'm good on output tubes for quite a while.

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #7,510 of 42,298
Im a little confused by the impedance selector switch at the back of my WA6. Turns out I was doing the reverse setting for my headphones.

I sort of discovered this when I was A/B ing my K701s and HD650 on my regular Sony SS surround sound receiver. The HD650s seemed much louder on it at the same volume.

It made sense to me then (without looking at the back of the WA6 to check the setting) that I would hit the switch to make the K701s louder, or hit it again to make the HD650s quieter. This would sort of volume match the phones to the dial.

But I have been doing it all wrong it seems. Now the switch (in its correct setting) gives the already louder HD650s even more volume than the K701s.

Odd thing, when I A/B my headphones on the WA6 without changing the impedance setting, the volume seems the same for both headphones. Well definitely not the big difference I experienced on the Sony.

Could the Sony receiver be somehow detecting different phones and adjusting impedance on the go?

How does this Impedance switch work on the WA6? I don't quite understand it.

Which headphones (K701 or HD650) are "louder"?

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #7,511 of 42,298
Fellow Woosies, I think I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a WA22 but just wondered if you guys could throw in a few comments based upon your experience.

Are there any UK peeps here who have bought direct from Jack? The reason I ask is I'm concerned that I'll get stung for Customs / VAT (20%) / Admin etc.... Jack offers USPS or EMS to UK so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have the majority of must have tubes for my WA6 (EML 5U4G Mesh / TS BGRP / Bad Boy Sylvania) so wondered what power tubes are up there with these as the best to have. I've read about GEC6AS7's but I don't know anything about them really, are they new production tubes or NOS?.

Last but not least how much better is the WA22 over the WA6? I'm not balanced at all (yet) so I'm talking s/e only at this point.

Cheers guys.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #7,512 of 42,298
Navii: The HD650 is much more efficient that the K701, it's not all about impedance. The K701 should be on the low setting @62 ohms (but go with high if it sounds better), and the HD650 is definitely high impedance setting @ 300 ohms. The HD650 is definitely louder.

Spud: You have a lot more choices with the 1 watt power tubes than the 2 watt versions, so it really depends on how efficient your headphones are. There was a conversation recently about the higher-gain power tubes in the WA2, that would apply to the WA22 as well.

Dec 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #7,513 of 42,298

Quote:
Fellow Woosies, I think I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a WA22 but just wondered if you guys could throw in a few comments based upon your experience.

Are there any UK peeps here who have bought direct from Jack? The reason I ask is I'm concerned that I'll get stung for Customs / VAT (20%) / Admin etc.... Jack offers USPS or EMS to UK so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have the majority of must have tubes for my WA6 (EML 5U4G Mesh / TS BGRP / Bad Boy Sylvania) so wondered what power tubes are up there with these as the best to have. I've read about GEC6AS7's but I don't know anything about them really, are they new production tubes or NOS?.

Last but not least how much better is the WA22 over the WA6? I'm not balanced at all (yet) so I'm talking s/e only at this point.

Cheers guys.

Spud, you have all the good tubes.  Yes, if you can get a pair of the GEC 6AS7G's that would be great.  I got a pair and love them.  However, I have talked to people who really like the Sylvania 7236's.  What is your taste in music?

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #7,514 of 42,298
Thanks Grokit...

Mike, I'm really into Ambient Trance (mostly Ultimae Stuff), Psy Dub, IDM, and a little Progressive. To give you an idea I like - Aes Dana, H.U.V.A Network, Hol Baumann, Cell, James Murray, Solar Fields, Shpongle, Bluetech, Astropilot, Krusseldorf, Lemonchill, Phutureprimitive, Pitch Black etc...etc... Electronica that requires speed and extension.

That said I also like Acoustic stuff like Newton Faulkner and KT Tunstall.....

Really, my flavour is EML 5U4G mesh plate + Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad Boys (love the treble extension and speed on these). So if the WA22 will offer me this ''and more'' then I'm stoked.

Got a reply from Jack tonight and he tells me the WA6 and WA22 are quite a distance apart in terms of SQ. I'm almost there where my funds are concerned so hope to push the button soon :)

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #7,515 of 42,298

Quote:
Navii: The HD650 is much more efficient that the K701, it's not all about impedance. The K701 should be on the low setting @62 ohms (but go with high if it sounds better), and the HD650 is definitely high impedance setting @ 300 ohms. The HD650 is definitely louder.

Spud: You have a lot more choices with the 1 watt power tubes than the 2 watt versions, so it really depends on how efficient your headphones are. There was a conversation recently about the higher-gain power tubes in the WA2, that would apply to the WA22 as well.

Just to add to this, I personally feel the K701 sounds better on the high impedance setting. Logic dictates the low setting should be better for their 62 ohm impedance, but I feel it sounds better on high.  It seems softer all around on the low setting.  The impedance switch on the WA6 optimizes the transformer for whichever load you are giving it (high impedance or low impedance). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back