Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #24,256 of 42,298
Quote:
X3, bring it back!
popcorn.gif

X4

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #24,258 of 42,298
Quote:

I basically get loud crackling / popping sounds coming from my speakers. This sound is intermittent but irregular (happens between intervals of 30 seconds to 2 minutes). The WA3 volume is at zero and the speakers still emit these sounds. It is worth noting that they are loud enough to be painful to my ears. I can play music and I can hear music just fine but the cracking / popping loud sounds are also there.

Some more information about how I connected the amplifier:
Sonos Connect > RCA interconnects > WA3 input
WA3 output > RCA interconnects > power amplifier inputs
I am using the Audioengine P4 speakers (banana plugs)

I made sure the valves were correctly placed and I waited about 5 minutes after switching on the WA3 before switching on the power amplifier.

I even tried using a different power tube just in case it was that causing a problem (I replaced it with a new 6080 I have). Unfortunately the loud noises were there.

As a last resort I tried disconnecting the amp from the source and the problem persisted. I even swapped the driver tubes and the problem is still there (intermittent crackle / popping from both speakers).

Strangely, there is no problem when I connect the headphones. They sound wonderful.

It doesn't sound like a tube issue if the problem won't occur under headphone listening.  

My guesses-- check your speaker wiring very very carefully.  My bet is you're shorting somewhere.  Check the banana plugs, too.  I ditched those ages ago and wired direct to the post.

If your speakers and wires and connectors are 100% perfect, then there's likely a bad solder somewhere inside the amp to the output connectors.  But eliminate all other possibilities first, because Woo QC has been notoriously great (and how often do we get to say that?).

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #24,259 of 42,298
From 1:45 minutes into the video, which headphones are these people wearing?
http://youtu.be/M9D-ry7GDBQ

Screen shot at 2:00 minutes.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #24,263 of 42,298
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #24,267 of 42,298
Quote:
For any of our new woosies (newoosies?), this a very good price on a much coveted tube. At some point everyone wants to take these for a spin. It will take a bit of luck to find these from another reputable seller at anything like this price - there a number of people on ebay asking ridiculous amounts for these things. When I sent Jack Woo a question about tubes a long while back he replied "Tung Sol 5998 is one of the best you can find; however, it is a rare find."

Just don't want anyone to mistakenly miss out on this terrific opportunity that our fiery friend has arranged.

And there are just 5 left. (One got cancelled). Tubes are arriving tomorrow, I'll try to get them asap

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #24,268 of 42,298
Hello hodgjy,

I could tolerate the humming as background noise... The problem I am experiencing is something else altogether though. More like sudden loud crackling and popping sounds that are quite uncomfortable to the ears. The music mutes momentarily when they occur...

I wish the problem was just background noise...

Are you RCAs new? I have heard of factory defects in RCAs causing noises like those to which you are referring.

Feb 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #24,269 of 42,298
Quote:
shipsupt has been slowly "Wooing" me toward the Stax-side. Perhaps, I can take baby steps and get into the baby Stax this summer.

I think you'll find an amazing headphone with the basic STAXes :)

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #24,270 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
shipsupt has been slowly "Wooing" me toward the Stax-side. Perhaps, I can take baby steps and get into the baby Stax this summer.

I think you'll find an amazing headphone with the basic STAXes :)

Yeah, but if I'm not careful I'll be haunted by..."What if?" Rather than enjoying the new purchase, thoughts of upgrades could interfere (dominate?) my listening sessions.
ph34r.gif
 The model SR-009 looms tall like a Skyscraper in Manhattan to a first time visitor who ain't never left Kansas before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back