Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #23,088 of 42,298
been okay, holding off on any new headphones purchases for a while. 

the T1/WA2 do just about everything right. 

the LCD-2 is used sometimes for rap/electronic. on some songs, it seems to have a ton of bass slam. not as much sub-bass but they really surprise me sometimes.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #23,089 of 42,298
So I turned on my WA6SE today to do some listening with my HD800 and damn... my EML 5U4G rectifier wouldn't turn on. No response with the rectifier but the power tubes turned on fine. Turned the amp off, removed the rectifier and replaced it with another 5U4G I had in stock... worked fine. I guess my EML's burned out here?... 
frown.gif
 Didn't use it that much I have to say... only 1-2 hour listening sessions every day for a last year/year and a half or so. Didn't notice any weird behavious with my last listening session either.

Loved the sound of the rectifier itself so definitely would get it again but I'd like to ask if these quality control problems over at EML have been fixed? (I doubt it's the amp that's the problem, since although my amp is an early prototype WA6SE, the 5U4G's are supposed to be their default rectifier). If they're going to burn out every year for me like this it may be too pricey of an investment to make...

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #23,090 of 42,298
Quote:
So I turned on my WA6SE today to do some listening with my HD800 and damn... my EML 5U4G rectifier wouldn't turn on. No response with the rectifier but the power tubes turned on fine. Turned the amp off, removed the rectifier and replaced it with another 5U4G I had in stock... worked fine. I guess my EML's burned out here?... 
frown.gif
 Didn't use it that much I have to say... only 1-2 hour listening sessions every day for a last year/year and a half or so. Didn't notice any weird behavious with my last listening session either.

Loved the sound of the rectifier itself so definitely would get it again but I'd like to ask if these quality control problems over at EML have been fixed? (I doubt it's the amp that's the problem, since although my amp is an early prototype WA6SE, the 5U4G's are supposed to be their default rectifier). If they're going to burn out every year for me like this it may be too pricey of an investment to make...

Pssst! You...over there...with the Canadian Maple Syrup! 
rolleyes.gif
 (love that syrup!) Whether you return to EML Glass or no, invest in a United Electronics USAF-596 rectifier. You'd be wise to have both in your portfolio.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #23,091 of 42,298
Quote:
rolleyes.gif
 (love that syrup!) Whether you return to EML Glass or no, invest in a United Electronics USAF-596 rectifier. You'd be wise to have both in your portfolio.

May make myself some Pancake to go with that syrup tm morning 
biggrin.gif

Is that rectifier a direct replacement for 5U4G? As my unit is a prototype model, it's extremely limited in what tubes it can use (even 274B for example is not possible without damaging the tube in the long run).

For now, I substituted in my long-forgotten Mullard 5U4G's and well.. now I'm wondering whether I should invest in a new rectifier at all for now... seriously, these may be just as good. The main difference between the EML I'm noticing is a smaller soundstage with the Mullards, and maybe a tad less high end extension, but they sound just as good elsewhere and am seriously pondering whether the EML is $240 better...

Oh Yeah, the Mullards don't glow like the EML's and are much less pretty... that I DO miss... 
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #23,092 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
rolleyes.gif

May make myself some Pancake to go with that syrup tm morning 
biggrin.gif

Is that rectifier a direct replacement for 5U4G? As my unit is a prototype model, it's extremely limited in what tubes it can use (even 274B for example is not possible without damaging the tube in the long run).

For now, I substituted in my long-forgotten Mullard 5U4G's and well.. now I'm wondering whether I should invest in a new rectifier at all for now... seriously, these may be just as good. The main difference between the EML I'm noticing is a smaller soundstage with the Mullards, and maybe a tad less high end extension, but they sound just as good elsewhere and am seriously pondering whether the EML is $240 better...

Oh Yeah, the Mullards don't glow like the EML's and are much less pretty... that I DO miss... 
frown.gif

And I, waffles! 
wink.gif
 My own WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition was a late model. I went on a Sophia Princess 274B > EML 5U4G > USAF-596 run. You would need an adapter for the USAF-596 at any rate. Best person to chat with would be 2359glenn. Though, I own one of his custom builds now, he introduced this thread to the USAF-596 rectifier.

What's more, 2359glenn originally did so to resolve the thread starter's problem of blowing up EML Glass with his WA5LE! Send him a PM when you've the chance...cheers!

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #23,093 of 42,298
Oct 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #23,094 of 42,298
Oct 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #23,095 of 42,298
The Black one is starting to grow on me. Being the friendly chap I am, I'll stand by the exit waiting to help early adopters to their cars. 

@sunmonkey - that's a serious looking machine you're rolling with inside your avatar!

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #23,096 of 42,298
Quote:
I posted some audio  impressions of the WA7 in the RMAF impressions thread.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/623236/rocky-mountain-audiofest-denver-co-oct-12-14th-2012

This thing is freaking heavy, and solidly built.  It's better looking in person than in photos, and the black one has a nice "Ying/Yang" feel to it.  I would not write this off based on looks alone.

I read some of your comments - thanks for sharing. I find it to be quite a feat if Woo was able to make something as lush as the WA6 and as powerful as the WA6SE + a dac for the $750ish price... Looking forward to demo-ing it some time in the future, though even with more pics being released I just can't wrap my head around/or like the complete shift in design for the WA7.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #23,097 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
I posted some audio  impressions of the WA7 in the RMAF impressions thread.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/623236/rocky-mountain-audiofest-denver-co-oct-12-14th-2012

This thing is freaking heavy, and solidly built.  It's better looking in person than in photos, and the black one has a nice "Ying/Yang" feel to it.  I would not write this off based on looks alone.

I read some of your comments - thanks for sharing. I find it to be quite a feat if Woo was able to make something as lush as the WA6 and as powerful as the WA6SE + a dac for the $750ish price... Looking forward to demo-ing it some time in the future, though even with more pics being released I just can't wrap my head around/or like the complete shift in design for the WA7.

I'm still waiting to learn more about the power supply. And yes, I'd like to see it, too! First glance will be with a discerning eye...with a tweaked glance to follow quickly thereafter! 
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #23,098 of 42,298
Gentlemen, i have a dilema : i am hesitating between the WA5 and Eddie Current Ballancing Act. :). I thé BA i like thé ballanced In-out and thé Pré-amp function. But thé WOO... :) !

-->. Any recommendation ?

Also, is it really necessary with thé WOO to get thé tube or parts upgrade ? Dose it make à real " sonic différence " ? If yes, what is the most usefull recommended upgrade ?

Many thanks

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #23,099 of 42,298
It's moving time and I decided I won't be taking all my tubes with me to my new house. As a result I will sell 6 more NOS 2399/5998 tubes and maybe two 596 UE tubes (unless Keph still wants them) . I figured I'd give the Woo guys a heads up first.

PM me if you're interested. Serious offers only :wink:.

Update: The 596 tubes are spoken for already!. The 2399/5998 tubes are still available

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #23,100 of 42,298
Quote:
Gentlemen, i have a dilema : i am hesitating between the WA5 and Eddie Current Ballancing Act. :). I thé BA i like thé ballanced In-out and thé Pré-amp function. But thé WOO... :) !
-->. Any recommendation ?
Also, is it really necessary with thé WOO to get thé tube or parts upgrade ? Dose it make à real " sonic différence " ? If yes, what is the most usefull recommended upgrade ?
Many thanks

A couple years ago I rotated Uncle Eric's Zana Deux into my system using a stock Woo 5LE and it was truly amazing how much I loved the sound. The two sounded way closer than I would have guessed. Hope this helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back