Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #23,071 of 42,298
Quote:

Is it glass or plastic? Seems dangerous if plastic. If it is glass I imagine you could remove, clean and pop it back on. Or fill it with batter and bake muffins.

LMAO ! I didn't 'get it' the first time I read it. :p

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #23,072 of 42,298
X3, my favorite Apple case design from an aesthetic standpoint. Too bad it was such a POS.

With the OWC CPU and GeForce 6200 upgrades they were stout, but otherwise, meh.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #23,073 of 42,298
Oct 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #23,074 of 42,298
True that. I still have my Cube, I bought it used for a fraction of retail and then did the upgrades, got a matching used 22" Cinema display for it too. It still works well and makes a great word processor and DB client in the library (very very quiet machine). When it eventually croaks, I'll turn it into a fancy fishbowl for my betas. :D

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #23,075 of 42,298
Gotta say I'm not a fan of the WA7 in its current form - to me it looks cheap; I really like the aesthetic of the current Woo lineup - industrial, rugged, well built. The WA7 doesnt give me that - and its not just the odd glass on the top but the very noticeable screws on the sides and no mention of Woo Audio on the aluminum - I'm assuming this is some sort of prototype, maybe the final product will be more to the standard of Jack Wu's other products.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #23,076 of 42,298
eeew...i don't like how it looks either. doesn't really look impressive or anything,, doesn't have that bold signature style that the other amps have. looks more like a cheap DIY imo. just way too plain and boxy.

maybe get rid of the glass for the tubes, round out the edges, and put a woo audio logo on it and it would look better.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #23,077 of 42,298
Quote:
eeew...i don't like how it looks either. doesn't really look impressive or anything,, doesn't have that bold signature style that the other amps have. looks more like a cheap DIY imo. just way too plain and boxy.

maybe get rid of the glass for the tubes, round out the edges, and put a woo audio logo on it and it would look better.

Exactly! This also clearly is a competitor to the recently launched, good looking, ALO PanAm.
cool.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #23,078 of 42,298
I'm a creative director by trade, so I know better than to get into a battle over aesthetics. :)

I'm hoping that the simplicity of the casing for the WA7 is based in a desire to keep the price (and weight) down. There is a juicy market niche in one box 'office' solutions I think Woo would do well to explore, right in the 400-600 range. They have the WA3 and WA6, but even stripped down those are beasts and limited in their functionality (they are 'just' amps), and relatively big and heavy when compared to other solutions. If I imagine one of them on my work desktop, I can also imagine the resulting paper fires, electrocuted and burnt coworkers, and having to open up an auxiliary desk to store stuff on.

The aesthetic break from the "old" Woo designs and the WA7 might indicate a shift in how the WA7 is perceived: smaller, simpler, less costly. Less of a museum piece and more of a everyday utility thing, sitting quietly in the back corner of a desk. If that is true then I'd imagine the goal of the design was to make the unit low key. 

And to fall back on that old familiar chestnut: it's all about how it sounds, right?  :) Hell no, says the creative director. Form AND function, please!

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #23,080 of 42,298
Definitely a big market developing quickly when two top firms move in the same direction....Good news for all of us too. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #23,081 of 42,298
Quote:
Definitely a big market developing quickly when two top firms move in the same direction....Good news for all of us too. 
biggrin.gif

The starting price of the WA7 at $777 (cute, Woo, very cute) has me a bit worried.  I would have seriously considered it at $500, but at almost $800 I think I'd tap out. The ALO was already pushing the limit at $600, and that unit has some additional pluses - a smaller size relative to the WA7, and the external power and battery options.

People in the announcement thread seemed to dig the design, while here it seems split. The black version looks pretty good, especially with the screened logos and labels.

Peh. We'll see what the reviews are like! 

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #23,082 of 42,298
It does have the DAC built in as well. Generally other high end DAC/Amp combos are $800 or more....

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #23,083 of 42,298
Quote:
It does have the DAC built in as well. Generally other high end DAC/Amp combos are $800 or more....

Thanks for the comment, longbowbbs.

I'm comparing the WA7 against the ALO PanAm, which is tube amp and DAC in one box for $600. Since I already own a WA6SE, spending another $800 on a second rig of questionable portability is a tough choice. I'd probably save the money and get a dedicated DAC. That also keeps my upgrade paths independent and a wee bit easier to manage. 

I guess I am looking at the WA7 as a secondary system (office, bedroom) and I'm having a hard time justifying the expense. Obviously, it's a personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back