Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #23,116 of 42,298
Quote:

IMO the tube upgrades are a must specially the 300B and rectifiers. The one I audition before ordering mine had Sophia with RCA drivers and sounded very good. I am running EML 300B, Tugnsol 6F8G and USFA 596 and IMO sound great.

I did go all the way with parts upgrades, sockets upgrade and even send Jack the wire for internal wiring (OCC Copper Neotech) and Cards Eutectic solder. Later I upgraded the umbilical cord to one made out of the same Neotech OCC Copper chassis wire.

I love my WA5-LE.

This is a serious definition of "Hobby" how cool is it that the builder will accomodate the buyer with specific changes of even internal wire....I love this stuff!

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #23,117 of 42,298
Quote:
This is a serious definition of "Hobby" how cool is it that the builder will accomodate the buyer with specific changes of even internal wire....I love this stuff!

When you are dealing with small companies and mainly handmade or assembled products there is more flexibility.
biggrin.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #23,120 of 42,298
Quote:

Was the separate power supply in view - what does it look like?
popcorn.gif

No idea.  All I cared about was the sound and didn't think to look under the table.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #23,121 of 42,298
OK, OK, you almost convinced me to go for the WA5 instead of the EDBA.

Congrats, the WA5 is on my very short list of single-ended dream amps. The Balancing Act is also right up there, and besides versatility, don't forget to consider whether or not you have a preference between SE and balanced configurations/cabling options.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #23,124 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Was the separate power supply in view - what does it look like?
popcorn.gif

No idea.  All I cared about was the sound and didn't think to look under the table.

You're making me sound
dt880smile.png
 suspicious! Thanks for your time and excellent contribution, at any rate - felt as if I was walking the floor myself. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #23,125 of 42,298
Oct 18, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #23,126 of 42,298
Quote:

Jack Wu told us over dinner Friday night, and I forget what he said, but either Fang Bian or Ray Samuels said they were very good tubes.  It's not tubes used in previous amps.  I do know it's a class-A single ended triode amp.  I'd actually want to know more about the DAC.

Interesting.  It is probably another sweep tube used in TVs that nobody has commercialized yet.  The plates just looked like pentodes from the picture, which it could still be.  They could be running them as strapped triodes.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #23,127 of 42,298
Quote:
OK, OK, you almost convinced me to go for the WA5 instead of the EDBA.

But....is it really necessary with the WOO to get the tube or parts upgrade ? Dose it make à real " sonic différence " ? If yes, what are the most usefull recommended upgrade  (All the upgrades together add to + 3000$, which bring the WOO above the Electrostatic solution !!  so, which one are really recommended ) ?

Many thanks

As others have said the best upgrades are tube upgrades, however these can be upgraded later, its simpler to get any parts upgrades earlier whilst the unit is being built than returning and retrofitting later on.

As for the parts themselves, I prefer Mundorf SIO coupling caps over the V-Caps. Personally I don't think much of the Woo teflon socket upgrade (Mine have become very loose after light tube rolling!)

In my experience an amp is only ever as good as its power supply so I'd advise PSU cap upgrade if your budget will stretch.

As an FYI, on the tube front I use Takatsuki 300B, EML 5U4G mesh and either Tungsol 12SN7 or RCA 12SX7 or Shuggy CV181 depending on my mood :) (I have an adapter that allows me to use 12V tubes)

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #23,128 of 42,298
Quote:

As others have said the best upgrades are tube upgrades, however these can be upgraded later, its simpler to get any parts upgrades earlier whilst the unit is being built than returning and retrofitting later on.

As for the parts themselves, I prefer Mundorf SIO coupling caps over the V-Caps. Personally I don't think much of the Woo teflon socket upgrade (Mine have become very loose after light tube rolling!)

In my experience an amp is only ever as good as its power supply so I'd advise PSU cap upgrade if your budget will stretch.

As an FYI, on the tube front I use Takatsuki 300B, EML 5U4G mesh and either Tungsol 12SN7 or RCA 12SX7 or Shuggy CV181 depending on my mood :) (I have an adapter that allows me to use 12V tubes)

If I was to order A W5LE again I would get the volume knob upgrade if it still offered. It seems the entire signal travels through it, if I have my facts down straight. I also would not order it with the stock tubes. They were OK and all but you can put a little extra money towards tube upgrades as to keep the original tubes can be redundant if you never use them. Just put the money into the tubes your going to use all the time.

Edit..

Not seeing a stepped attenuator upgrade so maybe they are not available now days?

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #23,130 of 42,298
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have bought a Woo Audio WA5-LE (and a Woo Wes is here in 3 weeks) and I am wondering which tubes give a warm signature? I have read loads of threads about tube rolling but I don't understand all these numbers and letters. Could someone please explain this to me? Or better yet, is there a place where I can read up on the different tubes kinda like tubes 101.

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back