Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #22,876 of 42,298
Nice, thanks for clarifying. The T1 don't have a removable cable do they? Did you have to mail them in for install to Robert? Also, did you get the stranded silver for them or copper?

Having just purchased my WA22 and Yulong Sabre within the last several months, I need to wait awhile before moving up to a flagship headphone, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the T1 are great BUT I did not like them as much with the stock cable. I was close to give up on them but after recabling them with the Zeus turned to be one of my favorite and match great with the Woo amps. They are the ones I used when I audition the WA22 and the WA5-LE. After hearing the best I ever heard them I was sold in the Woo.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #22,878 of 42,298
Quote:
Nice, thanks for clarifying. The T1 don't have a removable cable do they? Did you have to mail them in for install to Robert? Also, did you get the stranded silver for them or copper?
Having just purchased my WA22 and Yulong Sabre within the last several months, I need to wait awhile before moving up to a flagship headphone, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Thanks for the feedback.

The copper one. They were a little harsh in the upper registers for my taste so copper was my ticket. I had the chance to compare them to a pair with the Black Dragon and I preferred mine with the Zeus. I thought the BG made them a little darker sounding.

No, they do not have a removable cable. You need to mail them to Robert. BTW, the T1 in Robert's website pictures are mine.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #22,880 of 42,298
Wow, your T1 look amazing in that picture. The ViaBlue connectors look awesome with the black TechFlex. That's a nice pride of ownership setup.

I'll definitely keep that cable in mind if I end up going that route.

The copper one. They were a little harsh in the upper registers for my taste so copper was my ticket. I had the chance to compare them to a pair with the Black Dragon and I preferred mine with the Zeus. I thought the BG made them a little darker sounding.

No, they do not have a removable cable. You need to mail them to Robert. BTW, the T1 in Robert's website pictures are mine.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #22,881 of 42,298
You bring up a good point. I have preferred non-over sampling DACs for the reasons you point out. However, now I'm reading things like new designs over sampling to some insane kHz in order to more accurately reflect the analog waveform. I think that was the M51 description.

I haven't read up enough on the technical arguments to know which argument is more accurate.

It looks promising for those looking to save space with a combination CD/DAC unit, but my problem with it is the non-defeatable upsampling.  That instantly removes any DAC from consideration for me.  Job 1 of these piece of gear is to pass the audio data to you in its unaltered original form as much as possible.  Upsampling is the exact opposite...... it destroys all the original audio samples and replaced them with mathematically derived equivalent ones.  I have never heard an upsampler that sounded realistic.  Some of them sound very musical, but not faithful to the original signal.

Now the NAD M51 seems truly promising mostly due to the implementation.  Being able to use it as a pre means throwing a pair of monoblocks next to it and bam you're done.  For headphone use I think its potential is not being fully utilized.

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #22,882 of 42,298
i'm also a t1 fan and i just sent my t1 to drew/moon audio to recable it, with black dragon.  i love t1 with just the stock cable.  hope i'll love it even more.  i'll let you guys know when i get it back. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #22,884 of 42,298
Quote:
You bring up a good point. I have preferred non-over sampling DACs for the reasons you point out. However, now I'm reading things like new designs over sampling to some insane kHz in order to more accurately reflect the analog waveform. I think that was the M51 description.
I haven't read up enough on the technical arguments to know which argument is more accurate.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought the M51 was bit-accurate, meaning it whatever sample rate goes is what goes out.  I know the processor they are using is new stuff and pretty powerful for audio use so if they are upsampling it may be that they've just gone so far with it that the downfalls are being overcome with sheer horsepower now.  People certainly seem to like the sound of it from what I've read. 

The 35-bit resolution is there to permit digital volume attenuation without any sonic degradation, something nearly all other digital controls do even if they claim they don't.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #22,885 of 42,298
The m51 actually resembles to 844khz, and it seems to be one of the very highest regarded DACs as present.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought the M51 was bit-accurate, meaning it whatever sample rate goes is what goes out.  I know the processor they are using is new stuff and pretty powerful for audio use so if they are upsampling it may be that they've just gone so far with it that the downfalls are being overcome with sheer horsepower now.  People certainly seem to like the sound of it from what I've read. 

The 35-bit resolution is there to permit digital volume attenuation without any sonic degradation, something nearly all other digital controls do even if they claim they don't.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #22,886 of 42,298
The m51 actually resamples to 844khz, and it seems to be one of the very highest regarded DACs at present.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #22,887 of 42,298
[size=11pt]I see that many manufactures play the Specsmanship game. Just higher numbers on paper to the point that it has no meaning itself. For God's sake I am using very, very old tube technology for audio reproduction today and for the future. The equipment in this thread and other tube forums do not always have the best signal to noise ratio, the lowest distortion and parts (tubes) that are close to 60 years old! Call me old fashion and that’s fine by me.  I have listen to audio system like last week that cost costs twice that I paid for my house and I am not disappointed at all with my audio system at home.  If you are going by the numbers game then getting an NOS DAC will absolutely make no sense to get. There is a lot of misconception on how math works in digital audio these days. The DAC chip itself is only 10% of the final sonic signature of the total DAC design. Power supply, R-C filter, the I/V conversion circuit and the final output stage does more to effect the sound quality more than the DAC chip alone. I had a few DAC units in the past and have more issues dealing with power and outputs that had degraded the sound quality from the DAC chip. [/size]

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #22,888 of 42,298
Quote:
Wow, your T1 look amazing in that picture. The ViaBlue connectors look awesome with the black TechFlex. That's a nice pride of ownership setup.

I'll definitely keep that cable in mind if I end up going that route.
Quote:

And my D7000 looks exactly like the one pictured there too! 
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #22,890 of 42,298
Thanks Seamaster. Is that still the case with 7236 power tubes? Not sure if by stock you mean the lower power output 6080s that came with mine stock.

I feel stock WA22 can not drive T1 to their optimal proteincial, strained is the word in my mind when ever I listen to them, even I crank up my WA22 to 15:00 position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back