Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #22,906 of 42,298
Thanks Grokit. I really appreciate your first-hand evaluations. It's good to know that the LCD2 and most likely HE500 can be powered very well by the WA22 with my current tubes. These orthos are extremely well reviewed so I don't feel much heartburn at all that the WA22 can't handle the HE5/6 variants.

The majority of impressions I have read are that flagships dynamics such as HD800 and T1 are also driven nicely with 5998/7236 tubes. I'll have the former for a week or so soon, and hope to hear the latter sometime in the near future.

Thanks again.

For myself, the dividing line was between the HD800/LCD-2 which the WA22 powers very well with 7236/5998 power tubes, and the HE-5/6, which it is inadequate for. The WA22 also seems to strain with the AKG K701, and was definitely a fail with the K1000. It may be fine with the HE500 from what I have read but I have not heard that combo personally.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #22,907 of 42,298
I think the Mundorf oil caps and wiring that have been described in this thread sound fantastic. They are definitely on my radar for down the road a little ways after I pickup a flagship can with premium cabling. I don't recall having read about upgrading the IEC inlet before - interesting.

My WA22 is wired up with Mundorf 1.0mm silver/gold wire, and Furutech rhodium IEC inlet and fuse have been installed as well. I provided the parts to Jack and he installed them when building my WA22.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #22,908 of 42,298
Very interesting to know that the WireWorld Eclipse interconnects use the same material as the Zeus. The Eclipse look really nice.

I have a question though. What would be the main differences between the Eclipse 6 And Equinox 6? The latter uses OCC copper as well, unlike the OFC of the cheaper offerings. It uses the same DNA Helix and Silvertube. It is also described as amazlng value for premium components unlike the popular priced description in lower models. It Is also described as retaining the unique benefits of the Eclipse series for a price that fits a wide range of systems.

It sells for just less than half the price of Eclipse 6 and on paper (Robert's website) it is hard to a notice a difference. Any thoughts or a link you have noticed in the past?

Edit: I have been reading on WireWorld's website. I see the Eclipse 6 and above are listed as reference range whereas the Equinox 6 and below fall below that distinction. Other than that, I still don't see any mention of anything specifically different between the two.

If you are going to a copper interconnect I highly recommend you to try the Wireworld Eclipse 6. 

Great to hear wotts; audio addicts, hangin' @ the boutique. :wink:  My Zeus purchase drove my Eclipse 6 purchase a month later.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #22,909 of 42,298
Quote:
Very interesting to know that the WireWorld Eclipse interconnects use the same material as the Zeus. The Eclipse look really nice.

I have a question though. What would be the main differences between the Eclipse 6 And Equinox 6? The latter uses OCC copper as well, unlike the OFC of the cheaper offerings. It uses the same DNA Helix and Silvertube. It is also described as amazlng value for premium components unlike the popular priced description in lower models. It Is also described as retaining the unique benefits of the Eclipse series for a price that fits a wide range of systems.

It sells for just less than half the price of Eclipse 6 and on paper (Robert's website) it is hard to a notice a difference. Any thoughts or a link you have noticed in the past?

Edit: I have been reading on WireWorld's website. I see the Eclipse 6 and above are listed as reference range whereas the Equinox 6 and below fall below that distinction. Other than that, I still don't see any mention of anything specifically different between the two.

I own both the Equinox 6 & Eclipse 6 and currently use both. I purchased the the Equinox 6 a year earlier and then when funds permitted a year later, I upgraded. The Eclipse 6 is my primary interconnect between DAC and Amp. But, use the Equinox 6 to connect my second DAC or between two amps when using one as a Pre.

The Eclipse 6 presents notes better defined, spaced, focused with a finer tone and finish. It's natural to wonder if a little more money is worth a little more definition between the two cables - with my W4S DAC-1 w/Low ESR "Super Caps," the answer is yes. But the Equinox 6 is quite serviceable; a competent cable.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #22,910 of 42,298
Quote:
I think the Mundorf oil caps and wiring that have been described in this thread sound fantastic. They are definitely on my radar for down the road a little ways after I pickup a flagship can with premium cabling. I don't recall having read about upgrading the IEC inlet before - interesting.
Quote:
My WA22 is wired up with Mundorf 1.0mm silver/gold wire, and Furutech rhodium IEC inlet and fuse have been installed as well. I provided the parts to Jack and he installed them when building my WA22.

X2 on that! All of my WA22's mods to date have been to increase functionality, but I would love to mod for upgraded performance at some point. Woo still lists a full compliment of mods to the WA5:

1. V-Cap input coupling caps. Matched pair 0.15uf/600V
  2. Jensen voltage filtering caps, 220uf/450V
  3. Blackgate bypass (6SN7 cathode) caps, 220uf/160V
  4. Blackgate bypass (6SN7 cathode) caps, 220uf/16V
  5. Blackgate bypass (300B cathode) caps, 470uf/160V
  6. Jensen decoupling caps, 100u/500V

So there's some more ideas
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

They should have to explain themselves
angry_face.gif
!

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #22,911 of 42,298
Quote:
By chance, rocknrolldoctor, did Jack ever get you straight? I can't remember your status.

NOPE
I gave up trying to get him to send the Fedex call ticket, I just get more angry with every email..
I asked two or three times and all I kept getting was "Your right you shouldn't have to fix it yourself just send it back"
I ask for the call ticket and wait days without reply and then start the same thing again.. "We want you to be happy and we are trying out best to do that"
He says all the right things just never sends the call ticket like he said he would 5-6 emails ago..

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #22,913 of 42,298
The Stockholm has me intrigued. Formerly had the Balanced Havana in for a couple of months. And in SE mode only used half the DAC - this was expected. Recently, I was told, that the Stockholm (by one of its new owners) even when in SE mode, will still be fully turned-on. Not used but still burning. 

Relevance here? Curiosity. Will contact Taiwan and get some info.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #22,914 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
By chance, rocknrolldoctor, did Jack ever get you straight? I can't remember your status.

NOPE
I gave up trying to get him to send the Fedex call ticket, I just get more angry with every email..
I asked two or three times and all I kept getting was "Your right you shouldn't have to fix it yourself just send it back"
I ask for the call ticket and wait days without reply and then start the same thing again.. "We want you to be happy and we are trying out best to do that"
He says all the right things just never sends the call ticket like he said he would 5-6 emails ago..

Greetings rocknrolldoctor! Before you keep on truckin', why not send the amp back per one of his earlier instructions - where he asked you send the amp and he'll reimburse shipping charges? That'd be good enough authorization for me as a Plan B. I do remember your saying he flipped, then he flopped and then dropped all pretense of knowing what was communicated earlier.
rolleyes.gif

I still believe you have a chance to get this thing resolved that would work for both parties.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #22,915 of 42,298
Thanks Silent One. How convenient of you to own both
wink_face.gif
. It's good to hear that you have observed tangible and worthwhile improvements in the Eclipse 6. I must say, this interconnect has my attention.
popcorn.gif

Quote:

I own both the Equinox 6 & Eclipse 6 and currently use both. I purchased the the Equinox 6 a year earlier and then when funds permitted a year later, I upgraded. The Eclipse 6 is my primary interconnect between DAC and Amp. But, use the Equinox 6 to connect my second DAC or between two amps when using one as a Pre.

The Eclipse 6 presents notes better defined, spaced, focused with a finer tone and finish. It's natural to wonder if a little more money is worth a little more definition between the two cables - with my W4S DAC-1 w/Low ESR "Super Caps," the answer is yes. But the Equinox 6 is quite serviceable; a competent cable.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #22,916 of 42,298
Well said good sir.

Speaking of upgraded caps. I wonder if anyone recognizes the specific caps used in the Yulong Sabre D18 DAC and knows anything about their quality? Specifically, how much room would there be for improvement by replacing them? I purchased this last week and it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Any insight would be appreciated.

Pics from Project86's review below. That SMA wiring going straight from the digital input to the ESS DAC chip and bypassing the pcb board path sure looks intriguing. I had never heard of that before.

Also, on a side note, I LOVE how this thread is a sort of members lounge, yet smaller so that you can really get to the know the members involved, their gear, background and preferences to provide great perspective.
beerchug.gif

350x350px-LL-2a2d4e02_DSC_0334.jpeg

350x350px-LL-682a3d2a_DSC_0346.jpeg

Quote:

X2 on that! All of my WA22's mods to date have been to increase functionality, but I would love to mod for upgraded performance at some point. Woo still lists a full compliment of mods to the WA5:

1. V-Cap input coupling caps. Matched pair 0.15uf/600V
  2. Jensen voltage filtering caps, 220uf/450V
  3. Blackgate bypass (6SN7 cathode) caps, 220uf/160V
  4. Blackgate bypass (6SN7 cathode) caps, 220uf/16V
  5. Blackgate bypass (300B cathode) caps, 470uf/160V
  6. Jensen decoupling caps, 100u/500V

So there's some more ideas
very_evil_smiley.gif

They should have to explain themselves
angry_face.gif
!

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #22,917 of 42,298
Quote:
The Stockholm has me intrigued. Formerly had the Balanced Havana in for a couple of months. And in SE mode only used half the DAC - this was expected. Recently, I was told, that the Stockholm (by one of its new owners) even when in SE mode, will still be fully turned-on. Not used but still burning. 

What do you think about tubes into tubes though? I have this notion that a tube amp wants a SS source, and vice-versa.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #22,920 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

What do you think about tubes into tubes though? I have this notion that a tube amp wants a SS source, and vice-versa.

Maybe. But, my WA 6 Special Edition did not sound like yesterday's tube amps no matter how I outfitted the amp with tubes to sound soft & dreamy (euphonic?). The Woo still came across with a dynamic foundation behind it. And the pairing with the Mhdt Balanced Havana did not suffer. 

It's just that I had the luxury of having both the shoe box (W4S) and Balanced Havana for two months side-by-side, and the shoe box brought a little more to the table for my set up. And yes, the  requisite YMMV applies. 
wink_face.gif

I like adventure inside my listening room, and would not hesitate to try a Tube on Tube pairing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back