Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #22,846 of 42,298
Quote:
Ok, we may have to start a new thread here.....my original question is based on my recent WA22 purchase.

W4S/DAC2 > (XLR) > WA22 > ( missing link )  Sennheiser HD 700.

I thought I would get "balanced" cables from the WA22 to the Senns.   This so called balanced cable will have to be fabricated because the 700s are rather new and there is not a lot of aftermarket cables being produced. (One would think that Sennheiser would offer all manner of modifications, cables, etc, ... but no... ((and do not get me started on cup holders in German Cars!))

Now, I am under the impression that I should just go with my stock cables.

Let the games begin!!

popcorn.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #22,847 of 42,298
Quote:
Ok, we may have to start a new thread here.....my original question is based on my recent WA22 purchase.

I thought I would get "balanced" cables from the WA22 to the Senns.   This so called balanced cable will have to be fabricated because the 700s are rather new and there is not a lot of aftermarket cables being produced. (One would think that Sennheiser would offer all manner of modifications, cables, etc, ... but no... ((and do not get me started on cup holders in German Cars!))

As a BMWCCA member, I remember that whole 
tongue_smile.gif
German Cup Holder drama! For your cable solution, my friend:

www.aphroditecu29.com

Ask for Robert...

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #22,848 of 42,298
Wir wollen unser cupholdergerate haben!!

Way off topic, I bought the LAST sofa a well established German company made in Europe (all further production out-sourced to China) and I wanted tan stiching rather than white.  Tan was available if you ordered dark brown, oh no no had to be white no changes allowed.  Alles muss in ordnung sein.

Anyway, Silent One, thank you again for the link.  Oh, and I now have 16 cup holders in my nice GL 350.   Mercedes Rules.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #22,849 of 42,298
musicman59 and I get our cables from this source. And have a very good rapport with the dealer. He also provides a Lifetime warranty for work done.

If given the choice, I'd rather have fast, safe cars & roads with the ability to focus on fast driving. Get to the cafe and enjoy that drink. As opposed to having cars, roads, laws not up to speed or safety with cup holders and drinks at every turn inside the vehicle. And dilly dallying with every distraction one can have while driving until one finally reaches their destination.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #22,850 of 42,298
Quote:
Due to the limited space behind the volume control for WA2, stepped attenuator will have contact to tube socket and not possible to install.

It is my personal experience.

You may ask Jack of Woo to see is they will modify the circuit layout to adapt it

The additional cost for adding a stepped attenuator to the WA2 is $215. This comes directly from Jack.

Quote:

Then why does my/Clayton's WA2 have a stepped pot? :wink:

So you had it modified by a third party? At what cost, may I ask?

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #22,851 of 42,298
Quote:

I actually sent an email to Drew at Moon Audio asking about cables for the HD700, and he told me (as of last weekend) that they are currently working on creating a mold so that they can produce the HD700 cable connectors, which would enable customers to purchase all their cables for HD700 headphones.  He did not specify when this will be ready, but it sounds like it's definitely coming down the pipeline.

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #22,852 of 42,298
I definitely trust Musicman and Silent Ones recommendation. However, I would like to add that I have been extremely happy with Moon Audio cables. In particular, my balanced Silver Dragon v3 has been fantastic. Anyone who has tried them locally has been impressed as well. They are a little pricy retail. However you get an awesome value ordering the cable DIY and assembling it yourself or by a friend if possible. the black dragon DIY is very affordable.

I actually sent an email to Drew at Moon Audio asking about cables for the HD700, and he told me (as of last weekend) that they are currently working on creating a mold so that they can produce the HD700 cable connectors, which would enable customers to purchase all their cables for HD700 headphones.  He did not specify when this will be ready, but it sounds like it's definitely coming down the pipeline.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #22,853 of 42,298
Quote:
I definitely trust Musicman and Silent Ones recommendation. However, I would like to add that I have been extremely happy with Moon Audio cables. In particular, my balanced Silver Dragon v3 has been fantastic. Anyone who has tried them locally has been impressed as well. They are a little pricy retail. However you get an awesome value ordering the cable DIY and assembling it yourself or by a friend if possible. the black dragon DIY is very affordable.
Quote:

I auditioned cans for a month with the Silver Dragon. But, not being familiar with the cans or comparing it to stock cabling, I believe it sounds nice. However, sleeving, weight and wear is something I look for with importance as well. The Dragon did not surpass the Zeus cabling in this regard, with the latter's Black TechFlex Nylon Multiflilament Sleeve.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #22,854 of 42,298
Quote:

You can see in the thread pictures of inside the amp.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/456258/wa22-internal-pictures
The same three wires are feed across all three jacks (two 3 pin xlr, the 4 pin xlr and then the single end) I would buy tube upgrades first..
If you do what balanced cable I'd now get a two 3 pin xlr..
The left wire is farther from the right than a 4 pin plug.. I liked the 4 pin look thats why I used it..
Here are the cables I made as well as the one into two splitter that is made from aluminum..

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #22,855 of 42,298
Which cables are the ones you recommend from Robert? Does he make his own or resale certain ones you like?

Quote:

I auditioned cans for a month with the Silver Dragon. But, not being familiar with the cans or comparing it to stock cabling, I believe it sounds nice. However, sleeving, weight and wear is something I look for with importance as well. The Dragon did not surpass the Zeus cabling in this regard, with the latter's Black TechFlex Nylon Multiflilament Sleeve.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #22,856 of 42,298
Quote:
HELP!
I just received my Adapters for Sylvania VT-99 6F8G tubes..
I have a Buzz on left side..
I was thinking bad tube or adapter..
I changed sides the tubes were installed on expected the buzz to also change side but it stayed on the same side..
I tried changing power and rectifier tubes hoping for a change but still have a buzz on left side :frowning2:

Any suggestions what to try???

Quote:
 I ordered my 6F8G => 6SN7 adapters from Jack just after he came out with them sometime ago and had the same problem.

The issue is that the wire use is to thin and not shielded so if it get close to the rectifier or transformer it will induce noise.
This is funny.... I first covered the wire with aluminum foil and corrected the issue but then I decide to do it the right way and sent them to Glenn. He rewired them for me.

1) As for WA22 left side adapter wire should be rearranged away from rectifiers.
2) Use too thin of hook-up wire inside of adapter could get too close or touch each other to make hum. As I always ask glenn to fill inside of my adapters with proxy.
3) plug in some 6sn7 without adapter, just make sure it not your amp.
I never had any hum with any of my adapters, even with my very first pair, which left side wire was on the wrong side. Unless the wire physically touch the rectifier, half inch away would be enough in my case.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #22,857 of 42,298
Quote:
Which cables are the ones you recommend from Robert? Does he make his own or resale certain ones you like?

Quote:

Zeus, which is Wireworld headphone cables...

http://aphroditecu29.com/Zeus/Zeus_Headphone_Cable.aspx

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #22,858 of 42,298
Thanks. They definitely look sleek. I see the copper version are affordable at under $300. However, the prices I am seeing for the silver option are $1,200 compared to the $150 I spent on the silver dragon :). I notice the effects of silver on the sound of the Moon Audio cable despite the fact that they use an affordable composition. That is some expensive TechFlex.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #22,859 of 42,298
Quote:

Just re-terminate the stock cable; get both male and female 4-pin XLR plugs and you can make a S/E adapter as well.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #22,860 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks. They definitely look sleek. I see the copper version are affordable at under $300. However, the prices I am seeing for the silver option are $1,200 compared to the $150 I spent on the silver dragon :). I notice the effects of silver on the sound of the Moon Audio cable despite the fact that they use an affordable composition. That is some expensive TechFlex.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Love the Cu29! And if price did not matter, I'd still be fearful of Ag47 making my D7000 too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back