Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #22,666 of 42,298
I'm left with only one option with my WA22 thats to return it even though I like the sound very much..
After several emails Friday Woo sent and email saying he has no idea what I am asking for..
I asked two or three times for a Replacement 4 Pin Jack and $30
He had said in the email I was right and he should fix the problem..
I replied I am not going to state what I want again and I will do as you wish and send amp back for repairs..
I did say I don't want the face plate changed and locks added just repair the jack to work correctly..

I expected an email yesterday and still nothing today..

I also have been hearing POPING while listening and I have changed cables and headphone and keep hearing it..
I am so sad that I fear adding this problem into the mix at this point..

Anyone have any idears on poping and what I should do?
My head hurts if I try to think this through at this point.
Thank Much.. 

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #22,667 of 42,298
FYI I have used my WA22 for a few days now with dual 3-pin XLRs (with a little notch on the inside of the connector) on my Q-cable with no issue. Maybe you were just unlucky to get one with maybe a bent lock pin that got stuck. As far as the popping sound goes, that may be tube-related (I have had my own woes tube-rolling on the WA2) If it's on one side, try swapping the tubes left-right and listen if it moves, that's one way to check.

Sorry you are having so much trouble with it, but if Jack proposes to fix it himself, why not just send it back and see how it goes, with or without locks (I think it would look pretty cool)? I know it sucks, I got my rather pricey DAC and it was DOA, the designer helped me with some troubleshooting but to no avail. I had to return it and wait for replacement/fix, all the while doubting if it was worth the trouble. But it turned out it was and I'm enjoying it now trouble-free pretty much every day....

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #22,668 of 42,298
Quote:

I agree with your assessment. Streamlining or the elimination of menu options can help many businesses from food to electronics. WooAudio could could still offer standardized custom options based on popularity. Take Pre-Outs for example - WooAudio could prefab the housing on a few pieces, then when amps are returned for the electronic wizardry, voila! Because even if SeeHear's amp was in good working order post mod, it is still aesthetically challenged - cutout and placement does not match original craftsmanship.

I think the community would feel much better if this were resolved with a positive outcome. I remain standing in solidarity with my Woo mate!
popcorn.gif

SO, thanks for your support
beerchug.gif

I have to say, I agree too.  Given all the problems I have experienced, I should have left it stock and avoided all the inconvenience and ill will.  It does sound good and seems to work just fine now that it is, essentially, a stock unit.

Still no response from Jack as of 8/15/12 at 7:30 AM.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #22,671 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your issues SeeHear.

Woo installed a preamp right and left RCA out set on the back of my Woo 5LE during construction process a few years ago. It works fine. The end of this is that they may be better off and start making the amps ( like many manufactures do) one way only and not doing any custom work. I may have tried to reach the company during quieter times a year or two ago, but Jack always responded the next day with the e-mails.

I agree with your assessment. Streamlining or the elimination of menu options can help many businesses from food to electronics. WooAudio could could still offer standardized custom options based on popularity. Take Pre-Outs for example - WooAudio could prefab the housing on a few pieces, then when amps are returned for the electronic wizardry, voila! Because even if SeeHear's amp was in good working order post mod, it is still aesthetically challenged - cutout and placement does not match original craftsmanship.

I think the community would feel much better if this were resolved with a positive outcome. I remain standing in solidarity with my Woo mate!
popcorn.gif

Yes, Woo's service department has issues, and there are communication issues as well. I am happy that they agreed to modify my WA22 into a preamp, it sounds great but there were definitely some head-scratchers. They installed two switches in the rear of my amp, one to switch between sources and one to go from pre to headamp. I knew that it would be like that going in, but I do wish the switches were more accessible. I also have to insert a special 1/4" trs plug into the SE output when in pre mode to "avoid an open circuit". It's a small, vital part that's easy to misplace, another inconvenience that makes me wonder if there's better ways to perform these mods.

The thing that got me though, was the fact that the amp cam back with a loose faceplate and misaligned knobs on the front, one of the faceplate hex screws was completely out and rattling around in the plastic shipping bag. When I informed Jack, his response was, "[size=11.0pt]Sorry to hear the problem. This is odd. We did not touch the faceplate at all. All works were performed on the rear panel and inside the amp. Let me know if you have trouble tightening the screws. As aligning the volume knobs, you can lose the screw in the knob. It is a M4 hex machine screw. I can send you a hex wrench if you can’t find one.[/size]"

When I Googled: "M4 hex driver", the only thing that came up was a ball-headed tool, and the vendor didn't ship to my location. After I told Jack that the faceplate obviously didn't unscrew itself (and left it at that), I took him up on his offer as I was having a hard time sourcing one. He send me a simple allen wrench.
rolleyes.gif

I'm still glad I had the work done, as I read (in this thread?) that they aren't doing the WA22 preamp mod anymore so it seems that mine was the last one. It's too bad that the service department has such shortcomings, and I agree that they may be better off just making amps and not performing mods if the situation can not be improved.

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #22,672 of 42,298
Quote:
The 596 can handle it better even though it really is the same as a 5U4GB The big thing with the WA5 is the fact that the rectifier filaments are in series running off 10 volts
These filaments are not rated for series operation. This diagram is what Woo audio sent to Jac at jacmusic and his recommendations on fixing the problem but not the fact
that the tubes are in series.

Also the 596 has a more exact filament so they handle being hooked in series in a WA5.

Thanks Glenn, Im new to Valve PSU's (Disclaimer the stuff I post here probably isnt right ;P ) I see that by using the secondary centre tap that the heater potential across both bottles should be the same.

However, wouldnt putting a current limiting resistor change the B+ out and change the sonic signature of the amp, depending on its value. Would it not be better to simply drop the value of the first cap?

Cheers

Aug 15, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #22,673 of 42,298
Quote:

Thanks Glenn, Im new to Valve PSU's (Disclaimer the stuff I post here probably isnt right ;P ) I see that by using the secondary centre tap that the heater potential across both bottles should be the same.

However, wouldnt putting a current limiting resistor change the B+ out and change the sonic signature of the amp, depending on its value. Would it not be better to simply drop the value of the first cap?

Cheers

Yes putting in a resistor will lower the B+ voltage changing the sound of the amp.  This was EMLs cure for the problem but the tubes are still in series and 5U4s are not meant
to be run that way new or old NOS. Even lowering the input capacitor is going to lower the B+ voltage requiring a higher voltage transformer to keep the amp sounding the same.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #22,674 of 42,298
Quote:
Yes putting in a resistor will lower the B+ voltage changing the sound of the amp.  This was EMLs cure for the problem but the tubes are still in series and 5U4s are not meant
to be run that way new or old NOS. Even lowering the input capacitor is going to lower the B+ voltage requiring a higher voltage transformer to keep the amp sounding the same.

Thanks Glenn

I was under the impression that the Woo 5 had a "soft start" circuit of some sort that was indicated by a blue pulsing power LED. That this then turned solid blue once the amp was ready to use.

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #22,675 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks Glenn

I was under the impression that the Woo 5 had a "soft start" circuit of some sort that was indicated by a blue pulsing power LED. That this then turned solid blue once the amp was ready to use.

That's my undrestanding too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 15, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #22,676 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks Glenn

It does it is shown on the center tap of the transformer the resistor with the contacts across it. when the amp is turned the relay contacts are open and
the filter capacitors have to charge through the resistor.  This is good but it still shouldn't be running like that what if the power drops out for a second.
Woos timer circuit doesn't reset right away so no the rectifier gets woped and arcs over. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #22,678 of 42,298
Quote:
It does it is shown on the center tap of the transformer the resistor with the contacts across it. when the amp is turned the relay contacts are open and
the filter capacitors have to charge through the resistor.  This is good but it still shouldn't be running like that what if the power drops out for a second.
Woos timer circuit doesn't reset right away so no the rectifier gets woped and arcs over. 

Ah I see, this explains why in other posts folks are having problems with brown outs and the WA5. Thanks for taking the time to explain this Glenn 
cool.gif

Thankfully brown outs aren't common where I live.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #22,679 of 42,298
Look what I found in Amsterdam. Oh yeah, Clayton SF was there as well. Had a great time with him having beer, talking and having dinner.
Really great day, great guy and best Head-fi'er ever because he gave me his WA2 for a year. C you're the best!

Now let's see how this amp holds up against the 339 and Crack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back