Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 14, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #22,652 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

596 in a WA2? Is that even possible?
biggrin.gif

I don't know
smily_headphones1.gif

I just want to try something different.  And, anything "mighty" must be good, right?  I rely on you guys to let me know if what I'm considering is appropriate for WA2!

This is what I have now:

Sounds pretty good (still room to improve, though) through my 650s but runs out of power via pre-outs.  Also, they are lacking in bass and punch/dynamics via pre-outs.
I have been looking for the TS5998 (that the one you suggested, Silent One?), but keep missing them when I can find them listed.

Yup, the supplies of TS5998's are slowly drying up! And what's being found could be considered leftovers, based on reports of quality from buyers. Still a few options worthy of your selection I hear and can be found in this thread or this site.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #22,653 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

So, it would be worth pursuing?  Then, yes, I am in!  Any suggestions for adapters?

Mail Jack and find out, but EZ80 to 596? I don't think so, and I even think there's not enough room for the tubes on the WA2

True story --

When I saw Clayton SF post a pix of the USAF-596 for the very first time, I was so enamored by its looks, I decided to buy one on the spot. Didn't matter if my Woo would be able to use it or not. I wanted it for my collection. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #22,655 of 42,298
Quote:

Mail Jack and find out, but EZ80 to 596? I don't think so, and I even think there's not enough room for the tubes on the WA2

Jack's not answering my emails lately.  We can't agree on the usefulness of a switch he added that turns off the headphone output of my WA2.  I wanted a switch for the pre-outs. Instead, I have a switch (on the back of the amp) for the headphone socket.  I'm not seeing the value; he can't understand why...

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #22,656 of 42,298
Quote:

Jack's not answering my emails lately.  We can't agree on the usefulness of a switch he added that turns off the headphone output of my WA2.  I wanted a switch for the pre-outs. Instead, I have a switch (on the back of the amp) for the headphone socket.  I'm not seeing the value; he can't understand why...

Use a different email address :D

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #22,657 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Use a different email address :D

Time for a Dog & Pony Show - create a short slide presentation to show what you want, but what you got instead. And send it. Images can sometimes help.

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #22,658 of 42,298
Quote:

Absolutely. Miss Sophia was at her best for me with the original RCA 6EW7's driving. When I brought the EML Glass in, I couldn't believe how much the stage shrunk. 
blink.gif
 However, I felt it offered a slightly more refined presentation than the Princess once I moved up in class (6SN7). 

Speaking of which, this week sees me moving up in class yet again, for my custom OTL amp - 13D1/25SN7/1633. I'm also trying to find money to buy Glenn's 12SN7 voltage doubler as well. I hope to find a TS-BGRP 12SN7 for about $35-$40 ea. Premium tubes are now soooo much cheaper for me. 
wink.gif

thats awesome, congrats 
beerchug.gif
 cheap/amazing tubes are a dream that not everyone can bring to fruition..!

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #22,660 of 42,298
Quote:
I don't know
smily_headphones1.gif

I just want to try something different.  And, anything "mighty" must be good, right?  I rely on you guys to let me know if what I'm considering is appropriate for WA2!

You might try the 6x5 its electronically close with the EZ80. Has an octal base so an adapter will be in order, I think the max cap value differs slightly and the DC current output is 70mA down from 90mA though so a mail to Jack is in order

My Mapletree uses 6x5 natively. Glenn whipped up an EZ80 adapter for me, and using a Telefunken EZ80 atm, its simply awesome with the U4SE.
Next adapter on the list here is the 6SN7 to 12SN7 - I learnt my WA5 has the heaters wired parallel when modded recently (Did a happy dance at that point) 
L3000.gif

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #22,661 of 42,298
Quote:

Time for a Dog & Pony Show - create a short slide presentation to show what you want, but what you got instead. And send it. Images can sometimes help.

I wish that would fix it.  Jack knows exactly what I expected and what he ultimately delivered.  Initially, he delivered the amp with the correct switch configuration.  However, there was a lot of noise, oscillation and general weirdness.  After a lot of denial and attempts at blame shifting, they decided their modification was at fault.  Good news right? That's what I thought when Jack told me they had identified the problem and "fixed it." 

The unnoticed clue that something was amiss: Instead of telling me to pay for the modification by paypal after I took the amp home (as he did after the first attempt to implement the requested mod), he asked me to bring cash when I picked it up.

• I get it home and discover a new tube set - not simple replacement of the faulty tube ( this whole modification came about because I had to return the amp anyway due to noise that was eventually traced to a bad tube - it lost vacuum and eventually separated from the base).  Again, more good news, right?  Mostly yes. Imaging is even better, soundstage is deeper and wider.  Only downside is less punch and, via pre-outs, much less gain.  But, noise free!
  • Now, the bad news - I tried to turn off the pre-out and nothing happened! I call Jack and then he drops the bomb.  It seems I was the first to request a switchable pre-out and they couldnt get it to work.  So they decided to switch the headphone socket instead, not tell me of the change, and ask for cash before I could listen - after telling me it was "fixed."  There was no confusion regarding what I wanted.  He just realized they couldn't deliver and wanted the money anyway.  I have had repeated conversations with Jack via phone, email and in person trying to amicably resolve this.  I suggested several scenarios where I would be happy, in descending order of preference: (1) Fix it as originally agreed; (2) Give me different sounding tubes to play with  or (3) refund the charge for the failed modification.  The only response I got was when I saw him at the Capitol Audiofest where he offered me a $25 dollar discount on a set of tubes! 

Most recently (last week), I resent him the original email describing the modification I wanted (I keep copies of everything!) and reiterated the above stated scenarios as ways to resolve that may be mutually acceptable.  So far, no response.

I am mostly offended by his duplicity.  He knew I wasn't getting what I paid for and purposely didn't tell me until after I paid him, in cash, and discovered their failure on my own.  Then he was very communicative about why it wasn't as requested and how I could continue to go through the same steps I had gone through some expense and considerable incovenience to avoid in the first place!  A solution he had assured me verbally, and via email, would be no problem to implement (tellingly, when I asked him what possible value there could be in a switched headphone socket he didn't respond.  It was as if I had not asked the question).  The money is annoying, but it is the deceit, inconvenience and total disregard for my time and effort for what turns out to be a completely stock amp with a useless switch and badly aligned extra pre-out that bothers me the most.

However, after almost four months, and four round trips to Queens and Brooklyn, there has been no apology, let alone an offer of any type to make me whole inspite of my repeated attempts to keep it friendly and polite.  Oh, wait.  He did offer me a $25 discount on a 250 dollar pair of tubes.

This is what a Woo Audio factory modification looks like.  Note the expert drilling of the pre-out. The switch does nothing useful and I have never even tried the pre-out as I still have to walk to the sub and power amp everytime I turn the Woo on or off anyway.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #22,662 of 42,298
It's unfortunate to hear of such complaints of Woo's customer service. They have great products but unfortunately, they are really lacking in service standards which may potentially put customers off their products for good.

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #22,663 of 42,298
Sorry to hear about your issues SeeHear.

Woo installed a preamp right and left RCA out set on the back of my Woo 5LE during construction process a few years ago. It works fine. The end of this is that they may be better off and start making the amps ( like many manufactures do) one way only and not doing any custom work. I may have tried to reach the company during quieter times a year or two ago, but Jack always responded the next day with the e-mails.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #22,664 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely. Miss Sophia was at her best for me with the original RCA 6EW7's driving. When I brought the EML Glass in, I couldn't believe how much the stage shrunk. 
blink.gif
 However, I felt it offered a slightly more refined presentation than the Princess once I moved up in class (6SN7). 

Speaking of which, this week sees me moving up in class yet again, for my custom OTL amp - 13D1/25SN7/1633. I'm also trying to find money to buy Glenn's 12SN7 voltage doubler as well. I hope to find a TS-BGRP 12SN7 for about $35-$40 ea. Premium tubes are now soooo much cheaper for me. 
wink.gif

thats awesome, congrats 
beerchug.gif
 cheap/amazing tubes are a dream that not everyone can bring to fruition..!

This achievement will allow me to resume focus this autumn 
tongue_smile.gif
 on buying groceries.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #22,665 of 42,298
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your issues SeeHear.

Woo installed a preamp right and left RCA out set on the back of my Woo 5LE during construction process a few years ago. It works fine. The end of this is that they may be better off and start making the amps ( like many manufactures do) one way only and not doing any custom work. I may have tried to reach the company during quieter times a year or two ago, but Jack always responded the next day with the e-mails.

I agree with your assessment. Streamlining or the elimination of menu options can help many businesses from food to electronics. WooAudio could could still offer standardized custom options based on popularity. Take Pre-Outs for example - WooAudio could prefab the housing on a few pieces, then when amps are returned for the electronic wizardry, voila! Because even if SeeHear's amp was in good working order post mod, it is still aesthetically challenged - cutout and placement does not match original craftsmanship.

I think the community would feel much better if this were resolved with a positive outcome. I remain standing in solidarity with my Woo mate!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back