Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #22,126 of 42,298
Hi,I am reading through so old post trying to look for an answer to my question when i have come across your a post about adapters (6SN7 > 6DE7). My question is this can i use these in a WA6-SE? I believe i have to get some special ones from Glen that have a resistor built in is this correct?

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #22,127 of 42,298
Quote:
Hi,I am reading through so old post trying to look for an answer to my question when i have come across your a post about adapters (6SN7 > 6DE7). My question is this can i use these in a WA6-SE? I believe i have to get some special ones from Glen that have a resistor built in is this correct?

Redcat: you are correct. I currently own a Woo Audio 6 - Special Edition with Glenn-made 6SN7 adapters, all of which I purchased a few months ago from Silent One. The 6SN7s run extremely cool, and, on the whole, the set-up sounds wonderful. 

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #22,128 of 42,298
The PurePower is an awesome little unit. It feels really substantial and durable with a great chassis and nice fit and finish. It is a notable step up from the AQVOX low-noise linear usb power supply (which was in itself a nice improvement over AP2 stock). Coming straight from the AP1/2 to the PurePower would seem like an awesome improvement without having had the Aqvox in between.

The additional improvements are similar to those the AQVOX brought, only better. I am getting a very black background, effortless low level detail, and an organic/musical touch that adds much more of an immersive experience to my ears. Compared to my setup sounding awful while the AP2 was away getting modded, it sounds glorious right now.

I'll have to post my AQVOX in the for sale forums tomorrow and save some lucky chap an arm and a leg in shipping from Germany. It cost me $75 to ship the dumb thing from Germany this last Christmas :0.

:wink:

Nice....how does it compare with the non-PurePower configuration???

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #22,129 of 42,298
Quote:
The PurePower is an awesome little unit. It feels really substantial and durable with a great chassis and nice fit and finish. It is a notable step up from the AQVOX low-noise linear usb power supply (which was in itself a nice improvement over AP2 stock). Coming straight from the AP1/2 to the PurePower would seem like an awesome improvement without having had the Aqvox in between.
The additional improvements are similar to those the AQVOX brought, only better. I am getting a very black background, effortless low level detail, and an organic/musical touch that adds much more of an immersive experience to my ears. Compared to my setup sounding awful while the AP2 was away getting modded, it sounds glorious right now.
I'll have to post my AQVOX in the for sale forums tomorrow and save some lucky chap an arm and a leg in shipping from Germany. It cost me $75 to ship the dumb thing from Germany this last Christmas :0.
wink.gif

Cool, My Stello U3 with external PSU does the same thing after adding the PSU. The background becomes darker and instrument separation, imaging and the detail get's much better.

well i was never convinced over that AQVOX PSU it looks like an 5$ wall adapter with usb on the end which cost almost 100Euro...

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #22,131 of 42,298
If anyone is looking for TungSol 7236 , Vacuumtubes.net have a good stock for $72 per matched pair, i received mine a few days ago and they are excellent 91/90gm, dead quiet

My fav tubes is now TS7236 + EML5U4G (still waiting for Woo 596 adapters)+ KenRad 6SN7GT BlackGlass (also from Vacuumtubes.net) 
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #22,132 of 42,298
Quote:
How do the electrical characteristics of the 596 compare to a 5U4G or a GZ34?

Was there a particular spec you were interested in?

Fundamentally the specs are similar to a 5U4G in that it is a 5V tube with a 3A filament current draw.  The tube is highly fortified though to withstand both more shock and to last for longer service periods than normal tubes.  The spring filament supports for example are a pretty rare feature that help make it immune to shock.  It will probably last a whole lot longer than a normal audio rectifier.

The only other useful spec I can add is its current rectification capacity, which is 275mA.  Vastly more than any Woo amp needs and about 50mA higher than a 5U4G.  There are tubes that do more, but this is on the high side. 

The original datasheet I found was more of a sell sheet for United Electronics and doesn't provide as much detail as usual.  There was no information about voltage drop for example, and the plate curve diagram was different from the one I know how to read so no help there.  I'm guessing it has less voltage drop than a 5U4G, which would correlate to the slightly more energetic sound everybody reports but exactly what the value is I don't know.

Hopefully that is at least somewhat helpful.

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #22,133 of 42,298
Quote:
If anyone is looking for TungSol 7236 , Vacuumtubes.net have a good stock for $72 per matched pair, i received mine a few days ago and they are excellent 91/90gm, dead quiet

My fav tubes is now TS7236 + EML5U4G (still waiting for Woo 596 adapters)+ KenRad 6SN7GT BlackGlass (also from Vacuumtubes.net) 
biggrin.gif

Sounds like they're testing them properly now.  That's good.  I didn't figure it was ever on purpose.

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #22,138 of 42,298
so bad for my wallet!  
confused_face.gif

how much are the tubes + adaptor thingys anyways

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #22,139 of 42,298
Not sure what Ultrainferno's current price is. But he's fast approaching lunch overseas and should return you an answer soon. Keph's buddy I believe is pushing them out the door @ $40 a pop. WooAudio @ $50 if memory serves (limited edition). And 2359glenn could very well come to your rescue late July, in and around these prices.

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #22,140 of 42,298
hmm thats not too bad then. 

anything under 100 dollars in this hobby is a steal. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back