Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #22,158 of 42,298
Was there a particular spec you were interested in?

I just wanted to make sure that if a piece of equipment calls for a 5U4G or a GZ34 that I can safely substitute a 596.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #22,159 of 42,298
Quote:
Been busy at work lately and have no time for Woo, finally everything caught up and currently in session with Jacky Cheung's "Snow, Wolf, Lake". The 596, Treasure, and GEC 6080 really shine with Asian vocal.

Gets my vote... really like the way you do things inside your listening room!
beerchug.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #22,160 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

Me too! Don't really need another adapter. But then he mentioned them having black wires. 
evil_smiley.gif

I do prefer the red wires...
biggrin.gif

Yes, red has that alluring quality. Looks very nice. With my amp, having a silver mug...er...face with a black body, burgundy caps sitting on top, I'd better stick with the black wires.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #22,161 of 42,298
Yes, red has that alluring quality. Looks very nice. With my amp, having a silver mug...er...face with a black body, burgundy caps sitting on top, I'd better stick with the black wires.

With my silver boat anchor (put on my flame resistance suit), the red wires was the conversion pieces when my friends over last weekend. Half of them really impress with PWD, WA22, and HD800. The other half was like, seriously? You paid that much for that thingy?

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #22,163 of 42,298
Quote:

Agree on his designation and price related discussions. And believe it ain't allowed, so I crossed it out. 
rolleyes.gif
 Oh, but anyway... in our amp the Mighty 596 has less of an impact versus my Woo, where the difference was not subtle. The 3DG4 delivers but with the genre of music I favor, I like the tonal quality of the '596' a bit better. I do remain open to rolling in a few other rectifiers for the adventure and soon may find something else I really like.

Glass aside, our amps really are an amazing piece of kit! 

Don't know if I ever mentioned this, but I have also tried the Mullard GZ33 in the amp since it is capable of handling the current requirements.  I thought this was the best rectifier available when I had my Woo, it provided the best bass control and detail level even over the EML 274B.  In the OTL it was surprisingly tepid sounding.  A very warm gentle sound but with no drive to it at all.  The 3DG4 just totally slaps it around, which maybe is to be expected of the tube the circuit was designed for in the first place.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #22,165 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Agree on his designation and price related discussions. And believe it ain't allowed, so I crossed it out. 
rolleyes.gif
 Oh, but anyway... in our amp the Mighty 596 has less of an impact versus my Woo, where the difference was not subtle. The 3DG4 delivers but with the genre of music I favor, I like the tonal quality of the '596' a bit better. I do remain open to rolling in a few other rectifiers for the adventure and soon may find something else I really like.

Glass aside, our amps really are an amazing piece of kit! 

Don't know if I ever mentioned this, but I have also tried the Mullard GZ33 in the amp since it is capable of handling the current requirements.  I thought this was the best rectifier available when I had my Woo, it provided the best bass control and detail level even over the EML 274B.  In the OTL it was surprisingly tepid sounding.  A very warm gentle sound but with no drive to it at all.  The 3DG4 just totally slaps it around, which maybe is to be expected of the tube the circuit was designed for in the first place.

Not sure why 
blink.gif
 but your description made me sit up a little straighter; take note. 
biggrin.gif
 Not just any rec can hang with the OTL amp. This makes me proud of the '596.' Some nights, I think the 3DG4 sounds a little more robust. Hard to say, since I don't spend time A&B'ing, I like to let things run - a day, week, month. Other nights, they could be two peas in a pod, but it always seems like the 596-Car  has a little more polish across the spectrum. 

Returning to an earlier incident, much like the one above in bold type, with my WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition, the '596' even intimidated rectifiers I had not yet ordered! 

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #22,167 of 42,298
decided to just hold off on the 596 tubes, i'm pretty poor right now 
frown.gif

trying to sell the RS1 and pro 900 first to fund another purchase as well.

might post an extra sylvania 7236 pair up for sale soon too.

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #22,168 of 42,298
Pretty poor seems like the next class up, sister. I'm so poor, 
wink_face.gif
 I can't rub two nickels together! Now, that would make me destitute I believe. "Selling off" is the only way I've been able to fund purchases while being Yobless. And I don't mind, I've come to accept my new found reality as being temporary... and I'm still getting new stuff!

Hope my words of encouragement matters to someone, especially amp owners of WooAudio. I never give up... 

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #22,170 of 42,298
thanks.

im still looking for jobs here too. 

in the mean time, selling off stuff too lol.

these ultrasone and grado got to go too... the LCD-2/T1 have completely dethroned the RS1i at being the best headphones for rock music (at least until i get PS1000)

still looking at HE-500 or some other high end headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back