Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #18,286 of 42,298
I'm new to this - how would I go about using the WA2 as a preamp to my integrated amp? Is it even possible?

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #18,287 of 42,298
I ended up not getting a power conditioner today. I looked at the specs of my surge suppressor already in place, and it does filter EMI noise already.  I can't justify paying more on a conditioner than I paid for the amp.  Other problem solving steps will be investigated in the mean time.  Maybe I'll get an isolation transformer.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #18,288 of 42,298

Quote:
I ended up not getting a power conditioner today. I looked at the specs of my surge suppressor already in place, and it does filter EMI noise already.  I can't justify paying more on a conditioner than I paid for the amp.  Other problem solving steps will be investigated in the mean time.  Maybe I'll get an isolation transformer.

I would try the isolation transformer a 1KVA will be more then enough power and you can get double insulated hospital grade.
These will block allot of noise you can even use a ground buster after the transformer it will be safe after the transformer. I have
a 2KVA double insulated left over from when I had a swimming pool. Had the pool filter plugged into it there was no way my children
were getting into a pool with the pump hooked directly to the power line.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #18,289 of 42,298

Quote:
dt880smile.png
 The only thing I really know for sure about cables is I don't want any from ACME! I am currently using the WireWorld Silver Starlight USB. Does it make a difference? Yes. But, many others can as well. It is going to be device/system dependent. Some are going to sound better or worse, with others simply sounding different. 

So, the next time you highly recommend a cable to me as the next best thing, I'll listen to you... and maybe even the cable. But it will really depend on my system. Occasionally, I'll swap in the USB cable that comes with whatever device was ordered. 
eek.gif
 And I'm quickly reminded that USB cables DO matter! 

FYI~

The Cable Co. has a lending library of used cables. This may give you an opportunity to try a few different cables of interest or out of curiosity.

Great! I'm going to look into it and get my hands on something soon.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #18,290 of 42,298
Well, I tried one last ditch effort today.

I unplugged EVERYTHING in my apartment except for my amp and the source.  I wanted to see if this had any effect on the noise.  Now, I know my neighbors may, but if the power supply was at fault, I expected to find some cause to come from my devices.

Nothing.  Same noise.

It's a low grade noise, and I can't hear it while the music is playing.  I guess it's of no tragic consequence, but it annoys me to all heck. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #18,291 of 42,298

Quote:
I'm new to this - how would I go about using the WA2 as a preamp to my integrated amp? Is it even possible?

Unless you have a bypass for the pre-amp controls on your integrated then its not really worth it. You end up dealing with two volume controls. Some may do that but I personally don't like it much when trying that with my tube integrated.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #18,292 of 42,298
Im going to order the WA3 but I wonder if changing tubes is a must ? Cause when I read all this comments it seems obvious to roll tubes. Isnt the stock tubes good enough or do u roll tubes mostly cause its fun? I wonder this cause my wallet wont let me buy other tubes after my WA3 purchase.  I just want to let my DT990s sing, will the stock tubes do ?

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #18,293 of 42,298

Quote:

If your amp has a "pre" in, then yes, you just leave it at max and use the WA2 to control the volume.
If not, then no.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #18,294 of 42,298
Power tubes have more of an effect than pre-amp tubes.  You can get some very nice power tubes for as low as $8.  For that price, it's worth a try to roll.

Quote:
Im going to order the WA3 but I wonder if changing tubes is a must ? Cause when I read all this comments it seems obvious to roll tubes. Isnt the stock tubes good enough or do u roll tubes mostly cause its fun? I wonder this cause my wallet wont let me buy other tubes after my WA3 purchase.  I just want to let my DT990s sing, will the stock tubes do ?

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #18,295 of 42,298

Quote:

run an interconnect from the pre out of the WA2 to the AUX in of the receiver.
i think its a very worthwhile improvement on my vintage pioneer and yamaha

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #18,297 of 42,298
It's not a must as the stock tubes do sound very good by default. If anything change your power tube to something else. The RCA 6AS7/G sounds very good and is very cheap. Another option is the Sylvania 6080W which is also cheap and is quite warm sounding.

Now if you want fancier driver tubes I have a matched pair of Bugle Boy 6DJ8's if you are interested. They are really nice and warm sounding and I wouldn't gouge you like most sites do. They test on the high side of "good" on my tester and they can be your's for under $30 if you want em.

Quote:

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #18,298 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, I tried one last ditch effort today.

I unplugged EVERYTHING in my apartment except for my amp and the source.  I wanted to see if this had any effect on the noise.  Now, I know my neighbors may, but if the power supply was at fault, I expected to find some cause to come from my devices.

Nothing.  Same noise.

It's a low grade noise, and I can't hear it while the music is playing.  I guess it's of no tragic consequence, but it annoys me to all heck. 

It can be one of your neighbors has a light dimmer going it is hard to filter that noise. Maybe the amp always had this buzz and you didn't know it till now when you started
tube rolling. If you can't here it with music just ignore it before you spend allot of money to get rid of something you cant here with the music.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #18,299 of 42,298
Very true.

Quote:

It can be one of your neighbors has a light dimmer going it is hard to filter that noise. Maybe the amp always had this buzz and you didn't know it till now when you started
tube rolling. If you can't here it with music just ignore it before you spend allot of money to get rid of something you cant here with the music.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #18,300 of 42,298
Well, the one nice thing to come out of this all is I've been using my Asgard most of today.  I played recordings though it that I would have normally played through WA3.  I will say the Asgard is more full and smooth than I expected.  It handles acoustic guitar very well, which was something I saved exclusively for my WA3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back