Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #18,301 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, the one nice thing to come out of this all is I've been using my Asgard most of today.  I played recordings though it that I would have normally played through WA3.  I will say the Asgard is more full and smooth than I expected.  It handles acoustic guitar very well, which was something I saved exclusively for my WA3.

wink_face.gif
 The brilliance of having a diverse portfolio. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #18,302 of 42,298

Quote:
Well, the one nice thing to come out of this all is I've been using my Asgard most of today.  I played recordings though it that I would have normally played through WA3.  I will say the Asgard is more full and smooth than I expected.  It handles acoustic guitar very well, which was something I saved exclusively for my WA3.

If your Asgard is not giving you the hum problem, imo its the WA3 or the tubes that is causing the hum.
If you can take your WA3 to a different location away from were you live and try it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #18,303 of 42,298
Unfortunately, I think that is the case.  The amp is most likely at fault.  It's always been a fastidious amp, but it's gotten worse lately.  I'll try it on some other power, but I'm not expecting anything different.

Quote:
If your Asgard is not giving you the hum problem, imo its the WA3 or the tubes that is causing the hum.
If you can take your WA3 to a different location away from were you live and try it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #18,304 of 42,298
what is inside of the wa3 that could cause the hum though?
besides a tube or maybe dirty power?

if it is a cap or resistor you could probably get it repaired locally without completely breaking the bank.  if you're willing to go that route

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #18,305 of 42,298

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think that is the case.  The amp is most likely at fault.  It's always been a fastidious amp, but it's gotten worse lately.  I'll try it on some other power, but I'm not expecting anything different.

Can you hear the hum during quiet passages in music, or with noise floor sensitive material such as piano music?  If not then I'd agree with glenn and just try to forget the hum is even there.  If you can hear it during musical passages then that is a bummer though.  Nothing bugs me more than being able to hear a hum or buzz when trying to listen to a piano solo piece.  There are always plenty of breaks in the music to remind you it is there.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #18,307 of 42,298
I can hear it between tracks or pauses in the music.  I can't hear it when there is actual music being played. 

Some tube amps just hum.  I opened mine up last night, and all the solder joints look good.  I think it's just the character of the amp.  It was always fickle since the day I got it.  For example, it would flat out reject some tubes with a very, very loud hum on tubes shown to be good in other setups.  It's just the way my little Woo is.  I think it's a mixture of me noticing it more lately, but I think it has gotten worse.  Maybe a capacitor is on its way out or something.  Or, some of the coiling on the transformer might be getting loose.

Quote:
Can you hear the hum during quiet passages in music, or with noise floor sensitive material such as piano music?  If not then I'd agree with glenn and just try to forget the hum is even there.  If you can hear it during musical passages then that is a bummer though.  Nothing bugs me more than being able to hear a hum or buzz when trying to listen to a piano solo piece.  There are always plenty of breaks in the music to remind you it is there.

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #18,308 of 42,298
I may have to do that if the noise gets worse.  For now, I guess I'll pretend it's not there.  If it gets worse, I'll have to look into repairs or an isolation transformer.  But, as others have said, my solid state gear is dead quiet, so I'm skeptical the power is the cause.

Quote:
what is inside of the wa3 that could cause the hum though?
besides a tube or maybe dirty power?

if it is a cap or resistor you could probably get it repaired locally without completely breaking the bank.  if you're willing to go that route

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #18,309 of 42,298
good point.
hopefully it resolves itself magically.
i've had a tube amp act up before and then all of a sudden become normal again.

i think beyers were made for woo amps.
they sound so good on them.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #18,310 of 42,298

Quote:
good point.
hopefully it resolves itself magically.
i've had a tube amp act up before and then all of a sudden become normal again.

i think beyers were made for woo amps.
they sound so good on them.

+1

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #18,311 of 42,298
currently enjoying the remaster of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac with my 770 pro 80s through the pioneer by way of wa2 pre.

somehow the wide soundstage of the woo is still present.  and even more so on the HD650s

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #18,313 of 42,298

Quote:
wink.gif
  I'm so happy for you. Though, I'd take her sister (Anoushka Shankar) on my D7000/WA6SE combo + Champagne for my preference.

rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #18,314 of 42,298

Quote:

this same problem occurred with my peachtree audio amp/dac being too close to my WA6... just placed them farther and it fixed the problem.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #18,315 of 42,298

Quote:
wink.gif
  I'm so happy for you. Though, I'd take her sister (Anoushka Shankar) on my D7000/WA6SE combo + Champagne for my preference.

nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back