Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #151 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...yay for no premium parts (apparently already built with really good parts), just upgraded tubes. Can't wait!
biggrin.gif

I agree that the stock slate of parts are great and Jack builds a terrific amp right out of the box. I was even impressed with my WA2 with stock tubes when I first bought it. But tube upgrades, and tube rolling is worthwhile. And I believe the parts upgrades are worthwhile too. It's great that Jack has options for just about every budget.

--Jerome

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #152 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Found it.

Woo Audio WA5-LE Custom Build

Owner is dvb-projekt from Germany, a really rich guy
biggrin.gif
, the unit is terribly expensive, he said that "If you would like to get an offer for the same Amp, please call Jack Woo.
He is a real nice guy and could help you with this question. But it will be over $ 6K incl. shipping."
bigsmile_face.gif

That is one hell of an amp lol.

Jun 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #154 of 42,298
I'm even thinking about possibly buying a maxed out WA5 and selling my WA2 and 300B mono blocks. I know it may sound strange to go from seperates to an integrated amp. But now that I have the K1000s and value them as an integral part of my setup, it may make better sense to go with a single-amp solution like the WA5 that can do nicely with my speakers and has a dedicated XLR connection and impedence matched output for the K1000.

I don't know that I want to start an amp collection. Though I am extremely fond of the rig I have.

Decisions, decisions!
smile.gif

--Jerome

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #155 of 42,298
Jerome, I'm curious why not to keep your 300B mono blocks and replace the WA2 with WA5 max for pre amp and headphone amp funtion? I don't think an integrated amp would perform better than seperate but just make it simple.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #156 of 42,298
Anyone have experience with the Emission Labs 274B or 5U4G (both of which would be suitable rectifier tubes with a WA6SE, correct?)? I now have two amps (the CSP2 can use the 5U4G as well) that could use the same rectifier and I'm looking for something different to try.

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #157 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have experience with the Emission Labs 274B or 5U4G (both of which would be suitable rectifier tubes with a WA6SE, correct?)? I now have two amps (the CSP2 can use the 5U4G as well) that could use the same rectifier and I'm looking for something different to try.

Yes, both 274B and 5U4G could be used in 6SE and I want to know the differs too, checked that from Jac Music they offer the same price as the 274B and it looks really attractive and Jack recommended it for the WA5 also.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #158 of 42,298
Quote:

Jerome, I'm curious why not to keep your 300B mono blocks and replace the WA2 with WA5 max for pre amp and headphone amp funtion? I don't think an integrated amp would perform better than seperate but just make it simple.

Just my 2 cents.

The WA5 has 4 source inputs and does not have any preamp outputs, like the WA2 does. So I won't be able to run a line-level signal to my mono blocks or my Omega DeepHemp sub. I just found this out a few minutes ago.

I'm sure Jack can tweak the design to achieve the desired result. I sent him a note asking for his opinion. Perhaps we can drop one of the source inputs on the WA5 and substitute a line out so I can run it to my sub.

It wouldn't be a sin to have both...but it does seem a little wasteful to me. On the other hand, I have thought about using this as an opportunity to try another amp such as a Cary 300 SEI (but that would be even more costly than a maxed out WA5).

I'm sure I am giving the impression that I am agonizing over the decision. Honestly, I really am not. I can afford to be patient and work with Jack. I already sent him a note letting him know that I am inclined to go forward with a WA5 build including the parts upgrade. I just need to work out the finer points with Jack and I am quite confident that I will be to do that.

--Jerome

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #159 of 42,298
I see, but for the similar feature that you're asking to work with Jack regarding the pre-amp output, the WA5LE offers 4 inputs also. Why not just max out the 5LE to match your curent system and not making any waste of the mono blocks. Sorry about my curiousity and please correct me if I'm understand wrongly.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #160 of 42,298
No problem. In my mind the ideal solution for me would be to replace the WA2 and MB300Bs with a maxed out WA5...but only if I could run a line level out to my sub as I really don't like speaker level connections to powered subwoofers. In my experience that results in slightly flabby bass performance, and I don't want to sacrifice there since I have a very fast and musical sub.

Using a WA5LE as a pre-amp makes less sense to me than just buying a WA5 and using it as a dedicated amp for my K1000s, while keeping my existing WA2 and MB300Bs. If I went with the WA5LE I would still have to solve the problem of powering my K1000s, and would need to either use a speaker selector switch or connect and disconnect the phones from the speaker terminals on my mono blocks. So in my view the WA5LE doesn't really buy me anything that I don't already have since I am perfectly happy with my WA2 as a preamp.

No, as I see it there are only three options: 1) Have Jack make a two channel speaker selector switch so I can change between speakers and the K1000s effortlessly, 2) Buy a WA5 and build a dedicated system for the K1000s around it, or 3) Replace my WA2 and MB300Bs with a WA5 and run my speakers and K1000s from it...assuming some accomodation can be reached for my desire to run a line level out to my sub.

--Jerome

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #162 of 42,298
My pleasure. The real appeal in the WA5 is to get it loaded with parts and tube upgrades that were not available at the time my mono blocks were designed and built. Admittedly, that alone is having a pretty strong pull on me despite the fact that I am very satisified with my current setup. And, as an added benefit there is a certain appeal of having a 300B driven headphone amp too, which obviously my WA2 is not.

Were it not for that, I would probably just have Jack make me a very nice speaker selector switch and be done with it.

--Jerome

Jun 16, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #163 of 42,298
Quote:

Yes, both 274B and 5U4G could be used in 6SE and I want to know the differs too, checked that from Jac Music they offer the same price as the 274B and it looks really attractive and Jack recommended it for the WA5 also.

Just got off the phone with George about these two tubes. I'm a tube idiot, but from what he said I gather that the 5U4G is going to be able to pass more current than the 274B (maybe that's common knowledge). He did say that the 5U4G doesn't want to see more than 14 microfarad from the first capacitor. Again, I might as well have been speaking a foreign langauge as I have no idea what that means.

For what it's worth, the 274B is in stock and the 5U4G will be here in a few weeks. As you noted, they are the same price.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #164 of 42,298
Greetings from another proud Woo Audio Owner! Last year I got my new WA2 and had it customized as follows:

- complete internal redesign to accommodate remote volume
- all metal remote control
- complete parts upgrade package
- TS 5998 power tubes, Amperex Bugleboy 6DJ8's drivers, and Mullard 6v4's rectifiers

I just learned that Jack has updated the design of the stock WA2 to utilize the power tubes for preamp duty (previously only the driver tubes were used for the preamp out). Hence, I decided to send mine back (it left today, so no impressions r/ change of sound yet) in and get it modified to the latest design. While in the shop I am also having all RCA sockets replaced with WBT 0210's.

Since I use the amp 80% of the time as a preamp and only 20% for headphone duty, it seemed a worthwhile investment. Here is what Jack had to say about the difference between the 'old' and the 'new' WA2:

"The current version uses the power tubes for preamp output, driven by the drivers (last edition is output by the drivers only). The benefits are multi-folds: better loading capacity, higher gain, and much energized. You will also take full advantage of the power tubes."

A few pics are enclosed. BTW, I am using a EML 5U4G in my Platinum Modwright Transporter and love it.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #165 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WA5 has 4 source inputs and does not have any preamp outputs, like the WA2 does. So I won't be able to run a line-level signal to my mono blocks or my Omega DeepHemp sub. I just found this out a few minutes ago.

I'm sure Jack can tweak the design to achieve the desired result. I sent him a note asking for his opinion. Perhaps we can drop one of the source inputs on the WA5 and substitute a line out so I can run it to my sub.

It wouldn't be a sin to have both...but it does seem a little wasteful to me. On the other hand, I have thought about using this as an opportunity to try another amp such as a Cary 300 SEI (but that would be even more costly than a maxed out WA5).

I'm sure I am giving the impression that I am agonizing over the decision. Honestly, I really am not. I can afford to be patient and work with Jack. I already sent him a note letting him know that I am inclined to go forward with a WA5 build including the parts upgrade. I just need to work out the finer points with Jack and I am quite confident that I will be to do that.

--Jerome

REL, considered the top subwoofer manufacturer by many, suggests that there is only one proper way to connect a sub and that's per the speaker output. I was provided with some of their literature as I also had hesitations, but the explanation seemed to make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back