What to get for Christmas?
Nov 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

davidsh

Headphoneus Supremus
The title says most. I am wondering, what you would get, if you were me.
The budget is around 350 dollars, and alternatively I can get my money back on my new dt-880, which would get me approximately 350 dollars extra.

I would really like a CIEM, but i am only 17, so i guess it would be a bad idea...

Else i am thinking about getting portable headphones, a new amp or maybe upgrading my dt-880 replacing it with either the hifiman he-500, which i can get at a very good price, or a used beyerdynamic t1. Also the etymotic er4 has sprung to my mind.

What would you do?

Btw, u can see my current setup in my sig.

Thank you!!

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:
if your going for bass go with a cheap bose if u want qaulity go with sony that or aiwa i have a really old pair that has lasted me

confused.gif
 Bose... seriously... reply to wrong post possibly?

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 41
IMO this depends on whether you prefer iem's or headphones. I'm trying to sell my JH-16's just because I enjoy the sound of full size headphones more.

What kind of headphone do you want though? Something on-the-go or for home use?

Ideally, I'd try to audition the headphones you're interested in and go from there. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 41
Depends on what you wish to do with your headphones, like listening to it during your travels or in your home.
Notice that you don't "need" (because who really need one ?) high-end headphones you listen to music genre where soundstage or instruments aren't analog like rap or electro, plus I think you'll need a more powerful amplifier to drive the he-500, not necessarily an expensive one, the mav a1 does a fantastic job for its price with tons of power.
I don't think going fo CIEM is a problem at your age, your head is not going to change, so I think you can go for the CIEM

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 41
Here's a list for you to start searching: Vmoda M100, AKG K267, Mad Dog, HE-400, Sen HD600/650/Momentum, Logitech UE600/900, AKG551/550, Sony MDR1 or you can visit Inner Fidelity wall of fame.
What a good time to buy a new headphone, too many choices.
Good luck searching.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 41
Thank you for your replies
I don't really need portables that much, i guess.  IEM's could be a possibility, but i feel like i have found the best in the price class (the hf5). So maybe some even better IEM's...

I have seen a thread about CIEM's some time, advising not to buy unless ur 25+ age, so I'll probably just cross that off my list.

I guess a great amp, without great headphones wouldn't be worth it right?
Considering my current setup, would you then go for better headphones or a better amp?

I am mostly aiming for neutrality. Everything has it's place, and too much of anything makes the music sound bad in my ears. Also, IMO the dt-880 sound better when i do a bit of eq to even out the highs and boost the low-bass a bit - which also should make them rather neutral.

What would you do out of following 3 options:
  • Return dt-880, getting a better headphone (could be he-500)
  • Get a new desktop amp
  • Go for another headphone

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 41
The fullsize closeback headphones like Denon D600, V-Moda M80| M100, Sony MDR-1R and ES10 are recommende with AMPs like C421. Openback headphones like Sony MA900, SA5000, ATH900 and Pro 2900 are very good sounding for the price but T1 or reshell higher end custom IEMs willbe even better pick.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 41
Mayflower T50RP's are on sale for $200 on their website. That may be the best route for you to take. Do some research and decide if they're for you, as I will neither guarantee you that you'll enjoy them nor will I tell you why I believe you should take this direction (As much as I'd like to, I rarely have time to post here. The comparison to the Denon D7000 at http://www.head-fi.org/t/634257/review-mayflower-electronics-fostex-t50rp-2-0-vs-denon-ah-d7000-stock should tell you enough.) After reading a bit into that thread, you'll also find a comparison to the Mad Dogs, another Fostex T50RP mod which is already known to be one of the best values in the industry. Hope this post helped.

Ah! I almost forgot to post the link to the product. Right here - http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/black-friday-sales.html

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 41
The products on sale are in a list. The V2 mod should be the 3rd product down. Don't go to the product page for the V2 when ordering or you'll be paying full price, not the sales price. Then again, I doubt you'll catch this post in time to do the research and order the product, so you'll likely be paying full price anyways. Even then, I'd easily recommend them over any headphone under $500 without hesitation, especially if you like neutrality (the fact that you've been considering the ER4's leads me to believe that you do). Having said all this, don't take my word alone in deciding to pull the trigger. The thread I've posted will give you a clearer picture on what this headphone is all about.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 41
Quote:
Mayflower T50RP's are on sale for $200 on their website. That may be the best route for you to take. Do some research and decide if they're for you, as I will neither guarantee you that you'll enjoy them nor will I tell you why I believe you should take this direction (As much as I'd like to, I rarely have time to post here. The comparison to the Denon D7000 at http://www.head-fi.org/t/634257/review-mayflower-electronics-fostex-t50rp-2-0-vs-denon-ah-d7000-stock should tell you enough.) After reading a bit into that thread, you'll also find a comparison to the Mad Dogs, another Fostex T50RP mod which is already known to be one of the best values in the industry. Hope this post helped.

Ah! I almost forgot to post the link to the product. Right here - http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/black-friday-sales.html

I have heard a pair of the Mayflowers and they are rolled-off on treble. At least the unit I heard. I would absolutely not buy one of these modded T50s w/o a listen. IMO there was very little difference between the stock T50 and the mod.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 41
Definetely sounds interesting. I have just got two problems. 
First off i can't listen to them, it is simply not possible, second I cannto buy from outisde europe, except if the package is shippe like a gift due to taxes.

Also, what is the diff between v1 and v2? 

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:
Definetely sounds interesting. I have just got two problems. 
First off i can't listen to them, it is simply not possible, second I cannto buy from outisde europe, except if the package is shippe like a gift due to taxes.

Also, what is the diff between v1 and v2? 

I can't say which I had tried.  All I can say is that they reminded me of Auratone monitors. Fine for checking how mixes will sound on a boom box, but not something I'd want to listen to. I've read the review and comparison to the D7000 and my response is that I want that drug. It's obviously some sort of auditory-hallucinogenic. They are not in the same Universe as the D7000, EQ-d or not.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #14 of 41
Well what is your source as well? And if it sounds like the stock fostex t50rp, I would recommend not buying it. I have the stock t50rp and the presentation of it is so weird. It sounds hollow/tinny/wonky/like you are in a cave... you probably get what I mean and if you don't, a quick listen to it will tell you exactly what I mean. My stock t50rp gets no headtime whatsoever and I don't know about modded ones but the sound of the stock one is simply just disappointing and not even as listenable and enjoyable as my 10 bucks Sony e818LP earbuds. For the mad dog, there's a 15 day refund if you don't like how it sounds. I know nothing about the Mayflower but I would go with the mad dog myself. There's also the paradox mod...

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:
Well what is your source as well? And if it sounds like the stock fostex t50rp, I would recommend not buying it. I have the stock t50rp and the presentation of it is so weird. It sounds hollow/tinny/wonky/like you are in a cave... you probably get what I mean and if you don't, a quick listen to it will tell you exactly what I mean. My stock t50rp gets no headtime whatsoever and I don't know about modded ones but the sound of the stock one is simply just disappointing and not even as listenable and enjoyable as my 10 bucks Sony e818LP earbuds. For the mad dog, there's a 15 day refund if you don't like how it sounds. I know nothing about the Mayflower but I would go with the mad dog myself. There's also the paradox mod...

I was listening to my (trans)portable rig; Retina MBP -> Apogee Duet2. I've only heard the Mayflower and I assume that the MadDog, LFF/Paradox and Thunderpants are another matter entirely. I was listening to my Spotify playlist (320K). I had my FitEar 334 and Amperiors with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back