What are the biggest flaws of your favorite iems?
Mar 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #61 of 99
At this point I have big trouble to find even a tiny flaw with my hated EX1000.
wink_face.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #63 of 99
GR02; Not gold plated like the old ones (like I care though).

JVC Mashmellows; Image gathering that brown foul dumpster juice you see on the ground behind a local fish store. Now imagine scooping with your hands and gently poring it down into your ears, as is slides down into your ear canals; infecting your brain. (Don't ever go to Walmart for a quick IEM fix)

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #64 of 99
They aren't hated. A lot of people here hold them in very high regard. Some people just consider their upper midrange/lower treble peak to be a deal-breaker. Then you have the "vocal minority" crowd. You know, the few people who feel to counter all the positive impressions they need to reeeeaally drive their point home.

So why are they hated? I'm confused! :-s

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #68 of 99
SE535 - not enough mid or sub bass for my tastes and have often thought I should have gone for the PFE232 instead (they're my first high end iem). Still love the sound and isolation which was a major priority when I got them.

Hopefully my Arrow will fix this in a few days or at least keep me going until I can afford to go custom...

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #69 of 99
Quote:
SE535 - not enough mid or sub bass for my tastes and have often thought I should have gone for the PFE232 instead (they're my first high end iem). Still love the sound and isolation which was a major priority when I got them.

Hopefully my Arrow will fix this in a few days or at least keep me going until I can afford to go custom...

I had the SE535s too and was never satisfied with them. I recently bought the V-Sonic GR07 MkII and would happily choose them over the SE535. The separation and layering of sounds may not be quite as good, but the bass is better and I find music is more enjoyable in general.

Still trying to get comfort right with various tip changes and nozzle adjustments. Of course, there's no detachable cable like the SE535s, but the stock cable on the GR07s is really nice.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #70 of 99
all IEMs has one sound signature so the pick of happiness only last for so long.....

... and can't tell my girlfriend real price of these. So when she treat them like ****, I can't tell her why i cry? 

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #72 of 99
My favorite IEMs in no particular order. I no longer own most of them, so I may forget and miss one or two:

Etymotic ER4S - thin sounding sometimes; need to be inserted very deeply, so not very practical for everyday use; sometimes too revealing; a bit bass shy.
Etymotic ER4P - upper mids can sound harsh; not as transparent and refined as ER4S;
JVC FXT90 - a bit sibilant; a little rolled off in the upper highs; a rather narrow soundstage; mid bass can have a mind of its own;
Phonak PFE 012 with grey filters - a resonance peak between 7-9 kHz, causing sibilance and harshness sometimes; resolution is lacking compared to ER4
Etymotic HF series - a little muddy sometimes; bass lacks depth and presence in the lowest lows.
Ortofon e-Q7 - somewhat crude highs that lack extension and refinement;
JVC FX700 - excessive mid bass emphasis; distant mids;
Hifiman RE0 - narrow dynamic range; highs are a little too bright and harsh; can sound muddy with a bad fit and/or improper amplification;
Hifiman RE262 - a little too warm at times; a somewhat bothersome treble peak;
Q-jays - a large, unnatural dip in the lower highs/upper mids; highs are a bit "dirty"/lacking clarity; bass response is very fit dependent;

Quote:
Etymotic ER4: Microphonics. Dynamic range. ..And all other things that people already talked about in this thread.

There are IEMs with better dynamics than ER4 I think, but ER4 makes up for the dynamics that it lacks with its insane speed IMO. Overall, I find ER4 to have a sufficiently broad dynamic range. Examples of IEMs that really do lack dynamics are RE0 and DBA-02.

BTW, I forgot to include Ultimate Ears 600 in my list: they lack some dynamic range and the highs are not very detailed and a bit harsh

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #73 of 99
Hifiman 272: They are so good , that I will have to go to the 400$ level if/when i decide to upgrade (here's looking at you , RE-600)

also , being discontinued - why everything i love goes out of circulation ? (J3 alsocomes to mind)

ps : i could use a little more bass ....

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #74 of 99
I had the SE535s too and was never satisfied with them. I recently bought the V-Sonic GR07 MkII and would happily choose them over the SE535. The separation and layering of sounds may not be quite as good, but the bass is better and I find music is more enjoyable in general.

Still trying to get comfort right with various tip changes and nozzle adjustments. Of course, there's no detachable cable like the SE535s, but the stock cable on the GR07s is really nice.

I'm very close to contentment with the Shures and love so much about the sound, but I just miss bass that makes me grin. Now I need to figure out more about my preferred sig before the next upgrade - is it just bass that's lacking or do I want better highs and so on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back