Ultrasone Signature Pro vs Beyer T70p vs Beyer T5p for rock and metal?
Nov 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SmettMark

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently deciding between these three headphones for mainly rock and metal. A lot of people have said the T5p and the T70p sound awful for rock and metal due to the lack of bass, but I plan on EQing the bass with either an iphone or a fiio E17 amp. It seems like both beyers have an excellent energy, and many say they have an excellent pace and energy in the mids and highs. The energy along with the EQed bass seems great for rock, so should I get the T70p/T5p with EQed bass or the Signature pro? I understand that the beyers won't be bass heavy, and I usually don't enjoy huge amounts of bass since it makes the song sound muddy to me, however, I think headphones that are too basslight sound lifeless, so my desired bass quantity is just enough so that it doesn't sound thin or lifeless, which I think I can achieve in the beyers with EQ.

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
I'm currently deciding between these three headphones for mainly rock and metal. A lot of people have said the T5p and the T70p sound awful for rock and metal due to the lack of bass, but I plan on EQing the bass with either an iphone or a fiio E17 amp. It seems like both beyers have an excellent energy, and many say they have an excellent pace and energy in the mids and highs. The energy along with the EQed bass seems great for rock, so should I get the T70p/T5p with EQed bass or the Signature pro? I understand that the beyers won't be bass heavy, and I usually don't enjoy huge amounts of bass since it makes the song sound muddy to me, however, I think headphones that are too basslight sound lifeless, so my desired bass quantity is just enough so that it doesn't sound thin or lifeless, which I think I can achieve in the beyers with EQ.

Heya,

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the Ultrasone Sig Pro is more what you're after.

But then I wonder, why go after flagship level portables?

Have you considered something in the mid-fi range? I would put you on a Denon D2000, Modded T50RP (Mr Speaker Mad Dog), Ultrasone PRO 750, AudioTechnica A900X, Sennheiser Momentum and Beyer DT770/CustomOnes for what you're looking for.

Very best,

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the Ultrasone Sig Pro is more what you're after.

But then I wonder, why go after flagship level portables?

Have you considered something in the mid-fi range? I would put you on a Denon D2000, Modded T50RP (Mr Speaker Mad Dog), Ultrasone PRO 750, AudioTechnica A900X, Sennheiser Momentum and Beyer DT770/CustomOnes for what you're looking for.

Very best,

Well, I use my headphones outside of my house a LOT, definately more than at home. I use them pretty much everywhere I go and I always take them to trips with me. Since I use closed headphones so much, I wanted it to be high end. However, I'm still considering mid-fi cans, but I really want a high fidelity sound since I use closed headphones so much.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Well, I use my headphones outside of my house a LOT, definately more than at home. I use them pretty much everywhere I go and I always take them to trips with me. Since I use closed headphones so much, I wanted it to be high end. However, I'm still considering mid-fi cans, but I really want a high fidelity sound since I use closed headphones so much.

Heya,

Check out a Mr Speaker Mad Dog (T50RP) and get some Stax Pads on it. Seriously beats every closed headphone I've tried, except the Denon D5000 (but it's my personal sin). Gonna be around $350ish for the setup.

Very best,

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

Check out a Mr Speaker Mad Dog (T50RP) and get some Stax Pads on it. Seriously beats every closed headphone I've tried, except the Denon D5000 (but it's my personal sin). Gonna be around $350ish for the setup.

Very best,

Are the stax pads better than the dog pads? Despite using closed headphones a lot, I do plan in getting an open headphone. I was thinking about getting the HE-500, or maybe the HE-400, will it make sense to get both the mad dog and the Hifiman? Will they sound really similar? If there isn't that much of a improvement between the mad dog and the hifiman, it would make sense to just get the Mad dog since it's closed. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Are the stax pads better than the dog pads? Despite using closed headphones a lot, I do plan in getting an open headphone. I was thinking about getting the HE-500, or maybe the HE-400, will it make sense to get both the mad dog and the Hifiman? Will they sound really similar? If there isn't that much of a improvement between the mad dog and the hifiman, it would make sense to just get the Mad dog since it's closed. 

Heya,

The Mad Dog and HE400 are rather similar. The HE500 is different from both.

The stock dog pads are generally SRH840 pads. The Stax Pads are significantly better (bigger, deeper, more isolating, better material), and of course, cost quite a bit more too. If you were to get one headphone, the Mad Dog would serve you best in this situation since you're looking mostly for portable/private use and an open headphone just doesn't do that. And since the HE400 is quite similar, it doesn't make much sense to get both (I have both... so I'm talking from experience on that one, but it's a personal thing, I don't recommend people have "it all").

Very best,

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

The Mad Dog and HE400 are rather similar. The HE500 is different from both.

The stock dog pads are generally SRH840 pads. The Stax Pads are significantly better (bigger, deeper, more isolating, better material), and of course, cost quite a bit more too. If you were to get one headphone, the Mad Dog would serve you best in this situation since you're looking mostly for portable/private use and an open headphone just doesn't do that. And since the HE400 is quite similar, it doesn't make much sense to get both (I have both... so I'm talking from experience on that one, but it's a personal thing, I don't recommend people have "it all").

Very best,

I think the mad dog came out with new pads which replace the old ones (840 pads) and you have to pay extra to get the new pads, so I'm not sure if you're talking about the old pads or the new pads. I'm quite fond of the idea of getting a do-it-all can, but I'm afraid I'll miss the open sound, it's something I'll have to think about. In case I decide to get an open headphone, is there a particular one that you recommend for my genres which offers a different flavor over the mad dog? My budget is around 1500 or so since the mad dog is pretty cheap, but that doesn't mean I want to spend that much money, I'll be perfectly fine with a headphone in the 400-700 dollar price range as long as it's an upgrade over the mad dog and fits my needs, but I'm willing to spend a bit more if necessary. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
I think the mad dog came out with new pads which replace the old ones (840 pads) and you have to pay extra to get the new pads, so I'm not sure if you're talking about the old pads or the new pads. I'm quite fond of the idea of getting a do-it-all can, but I'm afraid I'll miss the open sound, it's something I'll have to think about. In case I decide to get an open headphone, is there a particular one that you recommend for my genres which offers a different flavor over the mad dog? My budget is around 1500 or so since the mad dog is pretty cheap, but that doesn't mean I want to spend that much money, I'll be perfectly fine with a headphone in the 400-700 dollar price range as long as it's an upgrade over the mad dog and fits my needs, but I'm willing to spend a bit more if necessary. 

Heya,

To compliment the Mad Dog, I would have you consider:

Hifiman HE-500 with appropriate amplification (these go used for $500ish, amazing steal)
Audeze LCD2 (these go for $600~750 used, depending on revision, great deal regardless of which you choose) 
Beyer DT880 600ohm with appropriate amplification
Beyer T1 (these go used $750~850, good deal at that price, not a good deal at MSRP new price)
Ultrasone PRO 2900
AudioTechnica AD2000
Shure SRH1840

Very best,

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

To compliment the Mad Dog, I would have you consider:

Hifiman HE-500 with appropriate amplification (these go used for $500ish, amazing steal)
Audeze LCD2 (these go for $600~750 used, depending on revision, great deal regardless of which you choose) 
Beyer DT880 600ohm with appropriate amplification
Beyer T1 (these go used $750~850, good deal at that price, not a good deal at MSRP new price)
Ultrasone PRO 2900
AudioTechnica AD2000
Shure SRH1840

Very best,

Is the beyer DT880 good for rock and metal? I heard the DT990 is better for those genres, but I'm still curious to hear more opinions. The DT880 always caught my interest since it is said to be very similar to the T1, but much cheaper. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Is the beyer DT880 good for rock and metal? I heard the DT990 is better for those genres, but I'm still curious to hear more opinions. The DT880 always caught my interest since it is said to be very similar to the T1, but much cheaper. 

Heya,

The DT990 is bassier. So "better" for those genres is a personal preference thing. Not everyone wants tons of mid-bass boom added to their rock/metal. The DT880 is relatively neutral (on the warm side) with some sparkle in the treble. It's an excellent 'do it all' headphone. It's a taste of what the T1 is.

Very best,

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

The DT990 is bassier. So "better" for those genres is a personal preference thing. Not everyone wants tons of mid-bass boom added to their rock/metal. The DT880 is relatively neutral (on the warm side) with some sparkle in the treble. It's an excellent 'do it all' headphone. It's a taste of what the T1 is.

Very best,

I remember that people here said the mids on the DT990, though more recessed were better and in greater detail. Do you think the DT990 have a better quality than the DT880 mids? I would also like to add that Rock/metal is the only genre I will be listening to, so should I be looking at a different headphone instead of a "do it all" like the DT880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back