Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #1,787 of 2,312
Quote:
Hifi 2400 or 2900??? Differences? Can't find this anywhere?

tongue_smile.gif

Side note:
I recently bought a PRO750 but I can't hear the bass - completely anemic compared to the 2400 / D5000 or even the Beyer DT880! What could be going on?

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #1,790 of 2,312
It should be, sound is coming out from both sides. It is not how a bad connection would sound like...

And they sound hollow, like mids got erm. I couldn't find them to comment on them... And treble is so boosted up! I'm trying very hard to make them sound good, I've dampened the inside of the cup and left space behind the driver so the holes aren't blocked... Then I covered all 3 holes on the front metal piece with felt... I also taped the pads... :S Ultrasone gods (esp Kees!) please help me... Is it possible to get something similar to the DT1350 except with better soundstage? :p

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #1,791 of 2,312
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

Side note:
I recently bought a PRO750 but I can't hear the bass - completely anemic compared to the 2400 / D5000 or even the Beyer DT880! What could be going on?

Quote:
I compared them not long ago in this very thread...
redface.gif

Adrian - no idea. Are they still eligible for return/replacement from the dealer?

I think what Golotripa wants is some comparisons between the two in terms of the warmth and the treble. From my quick search it seems that people agree on the 2900 have more refined bass. That also leads to a question there, would the 2900 have too tight bass compared to the looser 2400? A warm sounding headphone with looser bass could make up a very nice sound signature... Especially it has all the slam and punch ready in their mid-bass boost already.

My case:
Bought from board. My impressions are telling me to un-mod them and try again to see if it is just my ears. But they are meant to have same amount of bass like the 2400 or other heapdhones I've mentioned right?

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,792 of 2,312
I think what Golotripa wants is some comparisons between the two in terms of the warmth and the treble.

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/1320#post_8875999
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/1395#post_8906869
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/1395#post_8906884

I have a big issue when people start throwing "warmth" around as a secondary qualifier - like "warm treble" or "warm bass" - because it isn't right. "Warm" refers to an overall tonal balance; if we can't agree on some commonality of the jargon, the jargon becomes worthless. :xf_eek:

Anywho, the 2900 lean towards the brighter, cooler side of things while remaining fairly bassy (on demand). They aren't ice cold, but they aren't "sitting on the beach with a mai tai" warm like a Grado either. They're fairly aggressive and forward as well, which makes them unforgiving of poor material - good recordings translate very well, but so does garbage. :ph34r:

From my quick search it seems that people agree on the 2900 have more refined bass. That also leads to a question there, would the 2900 have too tight bass compared to the looser 2400? A warm sounding headphone with looser bass could make up a very nice sound signature... Especially it has all the slam and punch ready in their mid-bass boost already.

The 2900 are more refined overall. What is "too tight?" They aren't anywhere near critical damping, if that's what you're concerned about (very few headphones actually go that far). They're tight enough, but not "perfect" (there's a few headphones (all of which cost more and have less bass slam) that I would regard as slightly tighter). For the amount of impact they have, they're spectacular. :) The 2400 are woolly and slow by comparison, more fitting for an HFI product, but if you want speed and detail the PROline is a better place to look.

As I've said before, the 2900 do a really good job at trying to do everything. They sometimes fall-down in the mids and overall musicality (depends on the source media more than anything else), but are otherwise bang-on. The 2400 are what I'd expect for half the money - good-not-great. I'm not trying to disparage the 2400 - they're a fantastic headphone for ~$200, especially if you want a bassy presentation that has more than "boom boom boom" through the music. The 2900 are a logical upgrade, the only thing you give-up is some forgiveness.

My case:
Bought from board. My impressions are telling me to un-mod them and try again to see if it is just my ears. But they are meant to have same amount of bass like the 2400 or other heapdhones I've mentioned right?

I haven't heard the 750, but my understanding is they are *not* related to the 2400 (they aren't meant to be a "closed 2400" - iirc they were originally pinned as a "closed 2500" (which is a separate beast). I will tell you that overall from experience, over-damping will usually produce the over-bright effect, and FWIR covering the S-LOGIC porting is usually not a good idea either (they need to breathe to displace and produce bass - as all speakers/headphones do). I have also never heard a (quality) headphone that produces as much woolly bloom as the 2400; I imagine quite a few things will sound "thin" by contrast. Again, not trying to kick the 2400's teeth in - they're nowhere near as bad as most of the rappercan garbage on the market, but compared to a lot of other high-end cans they certainly err towards the boomy side.

I'd suggest taking them back to stock if possible, before passing too much judgment on them (in other words, know what you're starting with before you take every pill in the cabinet to try and cure it). Sorry that I don't have much else information. :xf_eek:

Oh, I'll add that I rarely see the PRO750 suggested in "I want a lot of bass" discussions - no idea if that means anything or not, but they don't seem to get mentioned like the PRO900 or DJ1 cans do.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,793 of 2,312
Just a quick note on the Ultrasone Signature DJ now that I have spent some time with them- not only are they the best sounding Ultrasone headphone I have heard, IMO they are the best sounding closed portable, period.  Smoother highs than the Ed8, similar detail to the Signature Pro and bigger bass and soundstage to my ears than either......simply amazing.  My DVR is filling up since there is nothing I would rather do with my spare time right now than listen to my music through the Signature DJ.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #1,795 of 2,312
I'm getting the 750 in a few days and I used to own the DT880. I'll let you know what I think. Also have heard they are picky about amplification. I read a post about someone using out of a low end computer and said it was shrill with no bass. Most user reviews are really positive, I rarely hear about any issues with the bass. The 750s are more popular for mixing than most other Ultrasones.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #1,796 of 2,312
Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/1320#post_8875999
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/1395#post_8906869
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569107/ultrasone-fan-club-roll-call/1395#post_8906884

I have a big issue when people start throwing "warmth" around as a secondary qualifier - like "warm treble" or "warm bass" - because it isn't right. "Warm" refers to an overall tonal balance; if we can't agree on some commonality of the jargon, the jargon becomes worthless.
redface.gif

Anywho, the 2900 lean towards the brighter, cooler side of things while remaining fairly bassy (on demand). They aren't ice cold, but they aren't "sitting on the beach with a mai tai" warm like a Grado either. They're fairly aggressive and forward as well, which makes them unforgiving of poor material - good recordings translate very well, but so does garbage.
ph34r.gif

The 2900 are more refined overall. What is "too tight?" They aren't anywhere near critical damping, if that's what you're concerned about (very few headphones actually go that far). They're tight enough, but not "perfect" (there's a few headphones (all of which cost more and have less bass slam) that I would regard as slightly tighter). For the amount of impact they have, they're spectacular.
smily_headphones1.gif
The 2400 are woolly and slow by comparison, more fitting for an HFI product, but if you want speed and detail the PROline is a better place to look.

As I've said before, the 2900 do a really good job at trying to do everything. They sometimes fall-down in the mids and overall musicality (depends on the source media more than anything else), but are otherwise bang-on. The 2400 are what I'd expect for half the money - good-not-great. I'm not trying to disparage the 2400 - they're a fantastic headphone for ~$200, especially if you want a bassy presentation that has more than "boom boom boom" through the music. The 2900 are a logical upgrade, the only thing you give-up is some forgiveness.
I haven't heard the 750, but my understanding is they are *not* related to the 2400 (they aren't meant to be a "closed 2400" - iirc they were originally pinned as a "closed 2500" (which is a separate beast). I will tell you that overall from experience, over-damping will usually produce the over-bright effect, and FWIR covering the S-LOGIC porting is usually not a good idea either (they need to breathe to displace and produce bass - as all speakers/headphones do). I have also never heard a (quality) headphone that produces as much woolly bloom as the 2400; I imagine quite a few things will sound "thin" by contrast. Again, not trying to kick the 2400's teeth in - they're nowhere near as bad as most of the rappercan garbage on the market, but compared to a lot of other high-end cans they certainly err towards the boomy side.

I'd suggest taking them back to stock if possible, before passing too much judgment on them (in other words, know what you're starting with before you take every pill in the cabinet to try and cure it). Sorry that I don't have much else information.
redface.gif

Oh, I'll add that I rarely see the PRO750 suggested in "I want a lot of bass" discussions - no idea if that means anything or not, but they don't seem to get mentioned like the PRO900 or DJ1 cans do.

Remember our earpad finding? As far as I remember and also visible on the Ultrasone website, the HFI 2400 and the PRO 2900 have different earpads. I found the HFI 2400 pads somewhat thinner or not so deep. Maybe if you put the PRO 2900 pads on the HFI 2400 you will receive a tighter bass, but also a different treble performance. The gold versus platin driver plating for sure adds some difference too. As I sold the HFI 2400 I can no longer prove that.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,797 of 2,312
Quote:
Just a quick note on the Ultrasone Signature DJ now that I have spent some time with them- not only are they the best sounding Ultrasone headphone I have heard, IMO they are the best sounding closed portable, period.  Smoother highs than the Ed8, similar detail to the Signature Pro and bigger bass and soundstage to my ears than either......simply amazing.  My DVR is filling up since there is nothing I would rather do with my spare time right now than listen to my music through the Signature DJ.

Ha! That's so true. I haven't been able to put them down. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,799 of 2,312
Remember our earpad finding? As far as I remember and also visible on the Ultrasone website, the HFI 2400 and the PRO 2900 have different earpads. I found the HFI 2400 pads somewhat thinner or not so deep. Maybe if you put the PRO 2900 pads on the HFI 2400 you will receive a tighter bass, but also a different treble performance. The gold versus platin driver plating for sure adds some difference too. As I sold the HFI 2400 I can no longer prove that.

Yeah I've wondered about that too - but I don't have the 2400 to test either. I vaguely remember them having somewhat different pads as well though. I do know there's some internal differences too though, beyond the driver being different; would be interested to hear if someone does this comparo with the pads though.

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #1,800 of 2,312
Quote:
@Adrian- Something definitely not right. There is nothing anemic about the 750s bass and it has more quantity than the DT880s hands down.
Maybe the cable? Even though they are screw-in, you must first push gently then screw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Quote: Obobskivich (your response is too long mate :wink:

Thanks I think I'll return them to the stock configuration and check what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back