Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,801 of 2,311
 And Quote: Obobskivich (your response is too long mate :wink:

If two paragraphs is too long, I weep for the future. :wink_face:

Thanks I think I'll return them to the stock configuration and check what's going on.

Hopefully they just snap right back into shape, but if not I'd say time to contact Ultrasone regarding repair. I vaguely remember hearing it's a ~$30 flat repair fee, but I might be thinking of another manufacturer. :xf_eek:

Feb 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #1,802 of 2,311
Just got my Ultrasone Pro 750 this morning. Quick early impressions:

Treble is not an issue as I feared from some people describing unbroken in Ultrasones as sounding like shards of glass in your ear. The only genre it sounded even a little harsh was some K-pop. Maybe a little agressive in general, but that's about it.

Going by aural memory the overal signature is a bit thicker and meatier that the DT880 Pro I used to have which sounded smoother and airier. Plenty of bass and kick, really noticable with downtuned guitars like Slipknot and Meshuggah.

More impressions later,

Joshua

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #1,803 of 2,311
Quote:
If two paragraphs is too long, I weep for the future.
wink_face.gif

Hopefully they just snap right back into shape, but if not I'd say time to contact Ultrasone regarding repair. I vaguely remember hearing it's a ~$30 flat repair fee, but I might be thinking of another manufacturer.
redface.gif

Oh man sorry! I mean it was too long to put in a quote so I'll just type instead!

The bass do come back but mids are now further away and treble still pretty sharp for me. They did sound more appealing however xp I'm still learning how to mod headphones.

Initially I was aiming to do something similar to MarkL Denon mods. Tbh I don't usually find dampening brightening the sound. If all, the foam at the back should've absorbed the high frequencies reflected from the back of the cup, with the expense of less bass :S Anyways this is not the right place to discuss :wink:

Quote:
Just got my Ultrasone Pro 750 this morning. Quick early impressions:

Treble is not an issue as I feared from some people describing unbroken in Ultrasones as sounding like shards of glass in your ear. The only genre it sounded even a little harsh was some K-pop. Maybe a little agressive in general, but that's about it.

Going by aural memory the overal signature is a bit thicker and meatier that the DT880 Pro I used to have which sounded smoother and airier. Plenty of bass and kick, really noticable with downtuned guitars like Slipknot and Meshuggah.

More impressions later,

Joshua

Glad to know the treble is not too bad to your ears!

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,804 of 2,311
I've heard they can be picky about amplification. So far out of my phone (Samsung Epic 4G, custom kernel) that I previously used with my DT880. I'll try them with a vintage receive and my roommates phone to see if there are any major differences.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #1,805 of 2,311
They do, they perform significantly better out of my Darkvoice compared to my NFB5 :) Or I'm just too into harmonic distortions 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,806 of 2,311
Oh man sorry! I mean it was too long to put in a quote so I'll just type instead!

I was teasing. :tongue_smile:

The bass do come back but mids are now further away and treble still pretty sharp for me. They did sound more appealing however xp I'm still learning how to mod headphones.

Again, I haven't heard the 750, but based on the 900 I would agree with the idea of "mids further away and treble sharp" compared to other kinds of headphones. Certainly a personal choice if you dig it or not.

Initially I was aiming to do something similar to MarkL Denon mods. Tbh I don't usually find dampening brightening the sound. If all, the foam at the back should've absorbed the high frequencies reflected from the back of the cup, with the expense of less bass :S Anyways this is not the right place to discuss :wink:

Yes and no. The impact of damping exists on a curve - when you get into the realm of "critically damped" you usually end up with a fairly thin speaker/headphone. It generally means the top-end is pretty clean too, but you can still have a bright/forward presentation. And also remembering that modding is different for every headphone - what works perfectly for one may not work perfectly for another. :xf_eek:

What are you ultimately trying to accomplish with them?

I've heard they can be picky about amplification. So far out of my phone (Samsung Epic 4G, custom kernel) that I previously used with my DT880. I'll try them with a vintage receive and my roommates phone to see if there are any major differences.

I'd guess the receiver will have the biggest chance of sounding "much different" over the other phone, but that's just a guess. Vintage receivers are usually fantastic devices too.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #1,807 of 2,311
ULTIMATELY??? STAX009!!!

Nah, well it was quite ambitious... I got them for quite an acceptable deal, so I was looking to DIY weird stuff to it and see could I ever get a more balanced sound

Especially they have the soundstage and comfort the DT1350 don't have. If they can sound like that (plus for the money I paid) that would be perfect

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #1,808 of 2,311
ULTIMATELY??? STAX009!!!

hah!

Nah, well it was quite ambitious... I got them for quite an acceptable deal, so I was looking to DIY weird stuff to it and see could I ever get a more balanced sound

Especially they have the soundstage and comfort the DT1350 don't have. If they can sound like that (plus for the money I paid) that would be perfect

Balanced, and Ultrasone.

I'll say "hah!" again. :p

No but seriously, they're colored headphones - you won't get around that. S-LOGIC is partly responsible for it; if you want something that's relatively flat/balanced/neutral and also spacious, Ultrasone probably isn't the best choice.

Feb 16, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,809 of 2,311
beerchug.gif

At that price I paid I decided to give it a go and have a listen :)

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,811 of 2,311
You might want to try the Signature pro.
hah!
Balanced, and Ultrasone.

I'll say "hah!" again. :p

No but seriously, they're colored headphones - you won't get around that. S-LOGIC is partly responsible for it; if you want something that's relatively flat/balanced/neutral and also spacious, Ultrasone probably isn't the best choice.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #1,813 of 2,311
Nice!
Wouldn't the wife just love that... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #1,815 of 2,311
Quote:
Nice!
Wouldn't the wife just love that...
biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

You think she'll notice? 
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Quote:
Which Yamahas are those? They look familiar to some of mine, but aren't *quite* the same.

RX-460 & DVD-S1800...The top CDP is a Marantz CD-5001...

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back