Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #1,711 of 2,310
You know what the issue seems to be with my SP's? When I examined the right ear cup, there was a little dent in the front of the leather. Upon further examination, the right pad seems understuffed compared to the left. The left has a rounder appearance with the kind of wrinkles you would expect from leather stretched taut, while the right is flatter and almost completely smooth except for a few random dents in the stuffing underneath. I was able to rotate the pad on the ear cup so the dent I first noticed sits in back rather than front, and the sound has improved slightly. But the left still sounds stronger and more open.

I guess I'd better go register my warranty...

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #1,712 of 2,310
Regarding one side being louder/more dominant... That's a sign of driver failure. If it's not a hearing issue. I had that issue and it got worse...sent it in for repair, took about a month to get it back fixed. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #1,714 of 2,310
Hey i have just received the pro 550 headphones and i am looking for a amp.

I am willing to spend around 50-100 on the amp it will be mainly used indoors so i dont really care about portability. i am mainly looking for an amp to boost the bass, im not a basshead but i do like thumpy bass in songs. also in the future if i do upgrade my cans to pro 900 i would like the amp to be able to support a high end pair of headphones.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,715 of 2,310
Quote:
Regarding one side being louder/more dominant... That's a sign of driver failure. If it's not a hearing issue. I had that issue and it got worse...sent it in for repair, took about a month to get it back fixed. 

With a pair of SP's?

The weird thing is that when I put them on backwards, they sound about even. Which makes me think it's not the driver, but the S-Logic. Either way, I sent them an email yesterday... Does anyone know who I should contact to get to them directly? (I already tried Randy's email, I think he is gone as it failed to send.)

EDIT: I flipped the pads, it didn't make a difference. So drivers, ears, or slight possibility of the Aune...

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #1,716 of 2,310
Did you try to run it directly out of your DAP? And did you try the longer cable with the big plug, maybe directly from your stereo set? And did you lock the cable correctly into your SP?
basshead.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,718 of 2,310
Quote:
I am listening to my brand new Ultrasone Signature DJs and am blown away.  Glad to be in the club!

Congrats! Glad you took the plunge! :D

Quote:
Did you try to run it directly out of your DAP? And did you try the longer cable with the big plug, maybe directly from your stereo set? And did you lock the cable correctly into your SP?
basshead.gif

All of the above, yes. I am going to buy a sound level meter tonight and test it with both of my headphones and both of my amps. I suspect the problem may be my ears. I just realized last night that for the past year (at Office Depot) I have been wearing an earpiece on my right ear. It might have affected me without realizing it, and the punch of the SP's is what alerted me. We'll know for sure after my tests. (I went back and listened to my PRO 900's and the HE 500 demos, and I DID notice a similar issue; the SP is more visceral than both, which could be why I noticed it.)

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #1,719 of 2,310
Quote:
Hey i have just received the pro 550 headphones and i am looking for a amp.

I am willing to spend around 50-100 on the amp it will be mainly used indoors so i dont really care about portability. i am mainly looking for an amp to boost the bass, im not a basshead but i do like thumpy bass in songs. also in the future if i do upgrade my cans to pro 900 i would like the amp to be able to support a high end pair of headphones.

The PRO 900 isn't harder to drive as he PRO 550. You might want to check the FIIO offerings in your price range. I have a nice bass boost directly out of my Sony NWZ-A845 MP3 Walkman with it's Clear Bass feature if I want. Wit or without my Meier Stepdance.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #1,720 of 2,310
Quote:

All of the above, yes. I am going to buy a sound level meter tonight and test it with both of my headphones and both of my amps. I suspect the problem may be my ears. I just realized last night that for the past year (at Office Depot) I have been wearing an earpiece on my right ear. It might have affected me without realizing it, and the punch of the SP's is what alerted me. We'll know for sure after my tests. (I went back and listened to my PRO 900's and the HE 500 demos, and I DID notice a similar issue; the SP is more visceral than both, which could be why I noticed it.)

Maybe because the SP seals quite well. I hope you can keep it.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #1,721 of 2,310
Quote:
I am listening to my brand new Ultrasone Signature DJs and am blown away.  Glad to be in the club!

beerchug.gif

I am glad you could get one for you. Enjoy!

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,723 of 2,310
Quote:
With a pair of SP's?

The weird thing is that when I put them on backwards, they sound about even. Which makes me think it's not the driver, but the S-Logic. Either way, I sent them an email yesterday... Does anyone know who I should contact to get to them directly? (I already tried Randy's email, I think he is gone as it failed to send.)

EDIT: I flipped the pads, it didn't make a difference. So drivers, ears, or slight possibility of the Aune...

Same exact thing happened with my and my Pro2900s... I thought I was crazy because putting them on backwards sounded even. At the time I thought it was the S-Logic and/or maybe how the driver vents are situated on that specific headphone. Either way it was a annoying problem; but since I didn't have the problem with the pro900s or the Signature Pros it may have been a defect.

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #1,724 of 2,310
Quote:

Any chance you've heard the signature pros as well and could add some comparison comments?

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,725 of 2,310
Quote:
Any chance you've heard the signature pros as well and could add some comparison comments?

Yes, although I auditioned the Sig Pro some time ago, so this is from memory.  I am a bit of a basshead, but I don't want to sacrifice quality in the mids and highs, particularly vocals.  When I auditioned the Sig Pro, they were the best sounding closed headphone I had heard.  While I enjoyed their bass presentation as well, I remember thinking these headphones would be perfect for my taste if there was a bit more bass punch and presence.  The Sig DJ fills that need with such fantastic powerful bass, yet they are still as ideal for multiple genres to me as the Sig Pro.  Overall SQ is comparable.  I believe the Sig DJ is also more spacious with a larger soundstage.  They both seem to use an identical housing, so fit and comfort is identical to me.  If you want to have a good idea of the signature, tone and character of the Sig DJ, I would recommend trying the V-Moda M-100 which is my other favorite pair of closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back