Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,696 of 2,312
Quote:
HOLY crap. These headphones take you a few rows back and absolutely murder your soul with clarity and bass, especially at night.

confused.gif

Quote:
You almost have to listen to 320/Flac or you wont get to hear their potential.

Definitely. Once you've gone this far, 180kbps is no longer an option. This is right about where you turn into a production/compression snob. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I recommend you listen to Infected Mushrooms (Godlike on the pro 900)

+1 on that. IM doesn't get any better than this.

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,697 of 2,312
Question for you guys... Has anyone noticed on their Ultrasones that one ear seems predominant?

I noticed this with my PRO 900's for a while and wondered if there was something up with them. After I got my Aune T1 I didn't really notice it anymore. But now I have my Signature Pro's and I'm noticing the same thing. Out of the left ear they sound wonderful, and the right feels congested in comparison. (And actually the left side felt stronger on my 900's as well.) Part of it might be S-Logic. I don't think it's a driver issue, as I've compared both ear cups with a single ear, flipped the headset, messed with volume and balance in Audacity, etc. It could even be something goofy like my right ear is more plugged...

Any suggestions?

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #1,698 of 2,312
Quote:

I recommend you listen to Infected Mushrooms (Godlike on the pro 900)/Rusko/Massive Attack. Happy listening!

It's pretty awesome on my HFI-780 too, especially with the DigiZoid ZO in the mix! 
basshead.gif

o0(and why is there no Ultrasone emoticon here in the forum?) 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #1,699 of 2,312
Quote:
Question for you guys... Has anyone noticed on their Ultrasones that one ear seems predominant?

I noticed this with my PRO 900's for a while and wondered if there was something up with them. After I got my Aune T1 I didn't really notice it anymore. But now I have my Signature Pro's and I'm noticing the same thing. Out of the left ear they sound wonderful, and the right feels congested in comparison. (And actually the left side felt stronger on my 900's as well.) Part of it might be S-Logic. I don't think it's a driver issue, as I've compared both ear cups with a single ear, flipped the headset, messed with volume and balance in Audacity, etc. It could even be something goofy like my right ear is more plugged...

Any suggestions?

I think it's S-Logic. My 580's didn't sound bad at all to me, but after I sold them, the person I sold them to said that one side was different. Have you tried moving it around on your head at different angles?

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,700 of 2,312
Quote:

I recommend you listen to Infected Mushrooms (Godlike on the pro 900)/Rusko/Massive Attack. Happy listening!

It's pretty awesome on my HFI-780 too, especially with the DigiZoid ZO in the mix! 
basshead.gif

o0(and why is there no Ultrasone emoticon here in the forum?) 
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 for the 780's!
+1 for the emoticon.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,701 of 2,312

Any suggestions?

If you try the headphones on your head normal and backwards and the sound is still lower in your right ear, then sorry but it's your ear. A hearing test would tell as well.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #1,702 of 2,312
Quote:
I think it's S-Logic. My 580's didn't sound bad at all to me, but after I sold them, the person I sold them to said that one side was different. Have you tried moving it around on your head at different angles?

Quote:
If you try the headphones on your head normal and backwards and the sound is still lower in your right ear, then sorry but it's your ear. A hearing test would tell as well.

I have tried it with different angles and placements, and I did try it backwards as well. Changing the angle does seem to help a little bit. Putting them on backwards actually seems to make things more equal, so I feel like it pretty much has to be some quirk of the S-Logic.

EDIT: I also have the demo pair of HE 500's here, and I should mention I don't seem to have the same problem with these.

EDIT 2: Messing with the channel balance in MusicBee, and it sounds wrong if I change it to the right side at all. So probably some combination of my ears and the S-Logic.

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,703 of 2,312
Quote:

Any suggestions?

This sounds simple but...make sure the earpads are mounted properly. Take them off and put them back on being sure they are properly seated. This happened to me once before.

Feb 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,705 of 2,312
After having the DJ1's for about a month now I'm selling them. They're definitely great for EDM and all variations of that, but there are better options for rock and metal. Bright treble paired with a quite distant midrange with some music is the main problem. Portable use was my main reason for getting them, but to be honest they look very weird on me, thanks to the padding in the middle of the headband. A shame because the cup design itself is very neat. Oh well now I got an excuse for looking for new ones
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,706 of 2,312
Quote:
After having the DJ1's for about a month now I'm selling them. They're definitely great for EDM and all variations of that, but there are better options for rock and metal. Bright treble paired with a quite distant midrange with some music is the main problem. Portable use was my main reason for getting them, but to be honest they look very weird on me, thanks to the padding in the middle of the headband. A shame because the cup design itself is very neat. Oh well now I got an excuse for looking for new ones
biggrin.gif

Honestly I'm not surprised you didn't like them for Rock and Metal.  Part of the reason I don't even listen to those genres anymore is those headphones (I've had them for over a year) aren't too great for them at all, but I listen to mainly EDM anyway :D

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,707 of 2,312
Quote:

I have tried it with different angles and placements, and I did try it backwards as well. Changing the angle does seem to help a little bit. Putting them on backwards actually seems to make things more equal, so I feel like it pretty much has to be some quirk of the S-Logic.

EDIT: I also have the demo pair of HE 500's here, and I should mention I don't seem to have the same problem with these.

EDIT 2: Messing with the channel balance in MusicBee, and it sounds wrong if I change it to the right side at all. So probably some combination of my ears and the S-Logic.

I had this issue with the Signature Pro on the second day I owned it. For me it was the left ear. There was this vacuum like feeling and the absence of higher treble frequencies. I also switched the sides of the can, but it id not change the effect to the other ear. But my left ear was the issue. Whenever I catch a cold, my left ears Eustachian tube gets kid of closed mostly on the left ear. Maybe it as a smaller diameter than the right ears one. This causes the vacuum like feeling ad the treble reduction. This is not so much an issue with open back phones like the HD 650 or the PRO 2900. With the I do not feel the vacuum, but also the treble loss. This is gone the other day most of the time like it was last time. Maybe this could also apply to your case.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #1,708 of 2,312
Quote:
 This sounds simple but...make sure the earpads are mounted properly. Take them off and put them back on being sure they are properly seated. This happened to me once before.

The Signature Pro do not have the speed switch pads that the Pro Series, the HFI-2400 and the Dj1 Pro share. They have pads made of real leather and they have the mounting system of the lower HFI cans like the 580/680/780. These cannot fall off or get half un-mounted.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,709 of 2,312
Quote:
biggrin.gif

That is a darn shame...Sorry to hear that spittis....For me, the PRO550s (DJ1PRO) are getting lots of love lately with some metal and sounding good...Solid state and tubes...Hope your next purchase will be worthwhile..

Cheers!!!

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,710 of 2,312
Hmm Pro750 and Hfi 2400 both coming down... You reckon I'll be enjoying them? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back