Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Feb 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #1,741 of 2,312
Sharing my post from the Signature DJ thread:

After a few days with the Sig DJ, I am surprised these don't receive more attention on Head-fi.  I can only guess it is because some audiophiles might feel the bass is excessive and they may be out of the budget for many bassheads.  As a portable headphone, I find them flawless so far with a very minor exception- male vocals are noticeably recessed.  I noticed this with Sting in particular.  Otherwise, they are incredibly versatile.  My wife is a complete non-audiophile and, in a blind test, was able to determine a noticeable preference for the Sig DJ over the M-100.  As a portable headphone, they fit snugly enough that I feel confident they will stay on my ears during activity with no headband shifting yet not so much  clamp pressure that I have difficulty wearing for several hours at a time which I attribute to the roomy, plush and soft leather cups.  They also appear to be some of the most solidly constructed headphones I have come across with no obvious weak spots despite being made of plastic and glass.  They are clearly made for active, on-the-go use and their isolation reflects that as well.  I give their sound a 9.5 out of 10 with the .5 deduction for the above mentioned slightly recessed mids.  Otherwise, authoritative clean bass, detailed mids with goosebump-inducing lifelike vocals and beautifully detailed extended highs.  These headphones are so good at reproducing female vocals, I have been expanding my collection of female artists and using up those leftover Itunes cards from the holidays. 

As they were non-returnable, I was extremely anxious placing them on my ears.  Within minutes, I knew my investment was justified and I actually think the sound is improving.  For my taste, I believe the Sig DJ is the best sounding Ultrasone headphone made.  I never thought I would say this, but my M-100 is gathering dust (no, it is NOT for sale).  Right now I am making these earn their DJ moniker- listening to Flo Rida and having a virtual club experience.  I just hope the neighbors aren't watching........

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,742 of 2,312
@Craigster

Nice! The Signature DJ is definitely at the top of my list when I actually got 800€ to drop on headphones. Apart from the sound I think they're one of the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,743 of 2,312
Quote:
Sharing my post from the Signature DJ thread:

After a few days with the Sig DJ, I am surprised these don't receive more attention on Head-fi.  I can only guess it is because some audiophiles might feel the bass is excessive and they may be out of the budget for many bassheads.  As a portable headphone, I find them flawless so far with a very minor exception- male vocals are noticeably recessed.  I noticed this with Sting in particular.  Otherwise, they are incredibly versatile.  My wife is a complete non-audiophile and, in a blind test, was able to determine a noticeable preference for the Sig DJ over the M-100.  As a portable headphone, they fit snugly enough that I feel confident they will stay on my ears during activity with no headband shifting yet not so much  clamp pressure that I have difficulty wearing for several hours at a time which I attribute to the roomy, plush and soft leather cups.  They also appear to be some of the most solidly constructed headphones I have come across with no obvious weak spots despite being made of plastic and glass.  They are clearly made for active, on-the-go use and their isolation reflects that as well.  I give their sound a 9.5 out of 10 with the .5 deduction for the above mentioned slightly recessed mids.  Otherwise, authoritative clean bass, detailed mids with goosebump-inducing lifelike vocals and beautifully detailed extended highs.  These headphones are so good at reproducing female vocals, I have been expanding my collection of female artists and using up those leftover Itunes cards from the holidays.

A portable headphone! Yikes. You are a brave man. There's no way I'm about to take my $1000+ pair of headphones out for a walk. 
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,744 of 2,312
Any leather/pleather pads for PRO750?

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #1,746 of 2,312
I'm wondering if the pro550 share the same pad locking mechanism as the 750

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #1,748 of 2,312
But they don't look pleatehr haha! Do you know what material are those?

Feb 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #1,750 of 2,312
Yes they are pleather, and they are very comfortable. But they might change the sound significantly. The pads of the Signature cans seem to be similar to the smaller HFI cans up to HFI 780. They are easy to remove, just like Beyerdynamic ones. Just tear them sideways. And the replacement pad for Signature will be around 120 € in Germany, I gave them a call. The pads and the cables will be on their website soon.
You might want to check
www.utlrasone.de

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #1,752 of 2,312
Quote:
I'm wondering if the pro550 share the same pad locking mechanism as the 750

Yes, they do.

Cheers!

Quote:
Wow. This thread is still going.

Yes sir Panda Man.  Get some Ultrasone love...How are the HFI-580s treating you?

Cheers!

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,753 of 2,312
Quote:

Yes, they do.

Cheers!

Yes sir Panda Man.  Get some Ultrasone love...How are the HFI-580s treating you?

Cheers!

Very well.

I haven't been using them at all these past few months. 

But with my power out, I needed a headphone that wasn't too sensitivie and wasn't too hard to drive with my MBP. And so the HFI 580's got used for 4-5 hours today.

I must say, they are a great set for $118. 

There are problems with the highs and upper vocals though. This makes it less 'able' to be musical as it causes fatigue and displeasure more easily for me. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,754 of 2,312
Quote:

Yes, they do.

Cheers!

Nice! How does the sound change, if you have tried? I'm mainly looking into ways to take the 750 out, they still leak a bit too much sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back