Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Jun 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #961 of 2,311
Quote:
yeah the hd598 were the first headphones i considered, but a majority of the crowd say that the overall sound quality is better on the hfi 2400 and the akg q701 (the other headset im considering). TBH i think $300 is where im setting my max at. Its just even though technically other headsets would be better for the extra $100, it wouldnt be a difference i would notice considering these are my first audiophile headphones, maybe down the future ill invest more but atm i just wanted to settle on a mid-range audiophile headphone. But since i am planning to use these for a good couple of years to come i still want my $300 investment to be worth it (itll be 70/30 between singleplayer fps gaming and vocal heavy music). 

The best advice I can give is to not get hung up on "overall sound quality," because to my mind that's not a particularly helpful descriptor. There are so many variables that go into making a pair of headphones enjoyable, and our tastes are pretty variant from one person to another. In terms of overall detail level, I don't think there's too much difference between the HD 598 and HFI 2400, at least not enough to be a significant deciding factor if you're just starting out. I think the overall tonality and coloration (or lack thereof) is a more important consideration first and foremost, and that will really depend on what you're looking for personally.

The HFI 2400 is a warmer, more overtly colored headphone compared to the HD 598 and Q701. It will have the most bass emphasis (quantity) of the three headphones you mention and sound slightly syrupy in comparison. The other two will be more transparent. Again, that's not a positive or negative thing per se, it just depends on what you want. The Q701 has a very expansive and "open" sound to it, airy and vaporous in its presentation, while being a bit thin and bright. Its timbre is somewhat artificial. The HD 598 is in my opinion the most well rounded of the three and subsequently the most versatile; it may be a bit "boring" though compared to the other two, which have more of an obvious fun factor.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #962 of 2,311
Quote:

The best advice I can give is to not get hung up on "overall sound quality," because to my mind that's not a particularly helpful descriptor. There are so many variables that go into making a pair of headphones enjoyable, and our tastes are pretty variant from one person to another. In terms of overall detail level, I don't think there's too much difference between the HD 598 and HFI 2400, at least not enough to be a significant deciding factor if you're just starting out. I think the overall tonality and coloration (or lack thereof) is a more important consideration first and foremost, and that will really depend on what you're looking for personally.

The HFI 2400 is a warmer, more overtly colored headphone compared to the HD 598 and Q701. It will have the most bass emphasis (quantity) of the three headphones you mention and sound slightly syrupy in comparison. The other two will be more transparent. Again, that's not a positive or negative thing per se, it just depends on what you want. The Q701 has a very expansive and "open" sound to it, airy and vaporous in its presentation, while being a bit thin and bright. Its timbre is somewhat artificial. The HD 598 is in my opinion the most well rounded of the three and subsequently the most versatile; it may be a bit "boring" though compared to the other two, which have more of an obvious fun factor.

very nicely put!! :) i think for my needs id prefer a more colourful and 'fun' pair of headphones. In which case (and please correct me if im wrong) but the order i put them in is hfi2400> q701>hd 598. I presume that the same order applies for bass aswell. The other two qualities that would matter to me i think would be sound stage and directional accuracy. In which case for sound stage size (and once again please correct if im wrong) i think it would be q701>hd598>hfi 2400 but for directional accuracy i would think its hfi 2400>=hd598>q701. In which case overall i think the hfi 2400 might be the headphone for me (non-serious, and just gives me a good wow factor in my fps gaming, non-competitive).

If what i said is right i think then my decision would be made :)

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #963 of 2,311
Quote:
Currently enjoying the Pro 2500 and Pro 2900 now, with an a/b in progress.  I actually preferred the Pro 2500 to the LCD 2, Rev. 2 (the latter have just been sold).

hello.  I have the Pro 2900 and I've been eyeing orthos... Could you compare the Pro 2500 to the LCD2, Rev. 2, including why you like the Pro 2500 better?
Thanks!
 ​

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #964 of 2,311
 ​
I have the Pro 2900, re-cabled with Moon Audio's Black Dragon (balanced) - connected to my SR-71b.​
I have probably around 10-15 hours of listening time on them so far.​
Surprising to me, I haven't found them to have any treble bite.  I wonder if it's because of the Black Dragon and the SR-71b (supposedly darkish sounding).  Hopefully, it's not because I have high-frequency hearing loss!​
I like the Pro 2900 but, honestly, I don't think it's outstanding.  To me, its overall sound is somewhat too heavy and syrupy.​
 ​
I have Beyerdynamic's DT1350, which I really like, even for non-portable listening.  With the right positioning, the bass extension is excellent and it isn't too thin-sounding.  ​
 ​
The reason I mention the DT1350 is I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations for full size headphones that sound kind of like the DT1350, but a bit fuller and bigger sounding?  ​
 ​

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #965 of 2,311
Well, the SR-71B is a very dark amp, so perhaps that is helping to counter balance the aggressive upper end of the PRO 2900. Also source material and personal tolerances will play a huge, huge role in this. I don't believe in cables impacting sound largely, so that would be my guess.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #966 of 2,311
Muppetface, ​
Would you consider the Signature Pro to sound anything like a Pro 2900 that has a layer of warm syrup removed?  ​
I've read positive stuff about it, including your review.​
The reason I'm focused on Ultrasone is that I'd like to be able to lug it around without worrying about it breaking. ​
Thanks!​

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #967 of 2,311
Quote:
Muppetface, ​
Would you consider the Signature Pro to sound anything like a Pro 2900 that has a layer of warm syrup removed?  ​
I've read positive stuff about it, including your review.​
The reason I'm focused on Ultrasone is that I'd like to be able to lug it around without worrying about it breaking. ​
Thanks!​

I don't find the PRO 2900 to sound warm or syrupy. If anything, it sounds too harsh and metallic to my ears. The HFI 2200 / 2400 on the other hand are what I'd characterize as warm and syrupy.

I can't really find too much common ground between the PRO 2900 and the Signature Pro, in part because I really dislike the PRO 2900 and haven't listened to it in a while, let alone A/Bed it with the Signature Pro. From memory,the Signature Pro is more accurate and transparent, with better bass quality and texture, more reigned in and controlled, a clearer and more natural sounding midrange, less grain in the treble, and overall much less harsh and fatiguing to my ears.

Basically the Signature Pro is a reference-grade flagship headphone, the most balanced and even-handed that Ultrasone has ever made in my opinion. The Edition 8 has a little more in common with the PRO 900 / 2900 I think, though it's still noticeably different.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #968 of 2,311
I agree that the Pro2900 isn't "warm and syrupy" - when I think of those terms, I think of something like the ESW9. The Pro2900 is more crunchy, hard, borderline aggressive (but not harsh imo), but I don't want to go as far as cold. The top-end is very hot and can be very sharp depending on what you're listening to; but just like the 2400, it doesn't push it's sound signature down your throat with every track. If you have a bassy track, it becomes a very bassy track, if you have a thin track, it remains a thin track. Same with the treble. Pick something that's harsh and aggressive, and it gives you harsh and aggressive in spades. IMHO I heard them as sort of a "half way" to the ESP/950. They can take on the character of the music very well, and don't over-bear with their own signature, but they're still colored and if the recording is fud they will show it in all of it's glorious detail (but isn't that kind of the point of a pro headphone?). They're one of the few bright dynamic headphones that I could switch back and forth with the ESPs and not think "God these are awful."

That doesn't mean they're not flawed - again, if you give them the slightest excuse to be harsh or piercing, they'll take the initiative and drive spikes through your head. I agree with the comment about synthpop and electronica in general - they do something special with synths; "crunchy" is how I'd describe it.

The 2400 is a completely different beast - they're slower and less exacting; they really strike me as a "hi-fi" headphone. They can play most things well, but they don't excel at any one genre (I didn't try every genre known to man though - nothing I listen to really made them "pop" though). And just like the 2900s border on "harsh and aggressive" the 2400s border on "muddy and wooly." Give them an excuse. That made them less enjoyable for electronica and dub imho, but with non-electronic genres (like grunge or rap) they handled their business. Both of these cans can dig fairly deep and hit fairly hard if the material calls for it; the 2900s just seem to control it better. For $200 I like the 2400, for $329.95 I do not.

Regarding the three in question, 598, 2400, and 701, I mostly agree with MuppetFace. The 701 is the most expansive sounding, but it's also "thin" by contrast - bass notes are there, but they don't shake your head. The upside is that the 701 are never muddy or wooly, and always sound "in control" with whatever you're listening to. They're more accurate imho. The 598s I have not heard, but I spent time with the 595s, and "boring" is all I can say. That doesn't mean "bad" - they just don't do anything particularly good or bad imho. Comfy (and probably the most conservative choice of the three both in terms of sound and comfort; the 701 headband causes some people trouble, and Ultrasones can be overly clampy for some people).

fusionramjet,

If the Pro 2900 doesn't have enough bite/snap up top, try the Beyerdynamic T70. I agree with purrin's statement "brighter than the Sun" in describing them. Unlike the 2900 which will only drive nails on demand, every T70 purchase includes a free box of nails. They're also less "hot" up top; it's a very odd presentation imho. But extremely aggressive.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #969 of 2,311
Thanks, Muppetface and Obobskivich, for your detailed replies.  
smile.gif

I feel like an oddball re: my impressions of the PRO 2900.  I actually checked to make sure I have the PRO 2900 and not the HFI 2400.  
I did listen to some Grados (60, 80, 125, 225, and 325) at a store recently and thought they were too bright.  Having said that, I probably prefer a significant amount of treble, because the V-Moda M80 sound too dull to me.  
I have and really like the DT1350, which I think has "Tesla" drivers.  This makes me curious about the other Tesla models, like the T70.

to Obobskivich, I love your metaphors...
Quote:
fusionramjet,
If the Pro 2900 doesn't have enough bite/snap up top, try the Beyerdynamic T70. I agree with purrin's statement "brighter than the Sun" in describing them. Unlike the 2900 which will only drive nails on demand, every T70 purchase includes a free box of nails. They're also less "hot" up top; it's a very odd presentation imho. But extremely aggressive.

​

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #970 of 2,311
 ​
oh, i got a chance to listen to the HD800 last week (stock cable, i think amped by Musical Fidelity's M1HPA).  The audio store had Ultrasone's demo CD playing.  It didn't sound too bright to me.  I didn't listen to it long enough and I wasn't listening to the music I normally listen to, so i didn't develop a good impression overall, though.​

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #971 of 2,311
Yes it's entirely possible that you either like a lot of treble, or have some roll-off in your hearing so that "bright" sounds "flat" to you (if that makes sense - if you're older this is at least plausible). There's nothing wrong with either. I'd suggest either trying something that's relatively flat sounding, like the ESP/950, or something that's extremely bright, like the T70 - see what you get out of it. Oh and there's also the other point that I should've made earlier: it's also entirely plausible that the Pro2900 are just "it" for you - if they sound absolutely right to your ears (and you already own them and have given up enough meals to get there), that's a good thing at the end of the day, right?

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #972 of 2,311
PRO 750's here.  Still burning in, and using iTunes/iPhone with occasional record player/amp. 

My first pair of "real cans" and coming from Bose TriPorts...

At first I was a little disappointed.  I had high expecations..then I 1.) realized there is a ~100hr burn in minimum and 2.) Started using VLC with its EQ.  EQ on VLC has helped tremendously to overcome the interference when playing via my MacBook.  Not sure exactly but I'm probably only at the 60 hour mark on the burn.

I currently dont have a headphone amp or any fancy equipment.  Wondering if you guys have any suggestions on software manipulations/apps that will allow me to squeeze more quality out of the headphones...?

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #973 of 2,311
Quote:
Yes it's entirely possible that you either like a lot of treble, or have some roll-off in your hearing so that "bright" sounds "flat" to you (if that makes sense - if you're older this is at least plausible). i'm almost 40 years old (not super old, but getting there), but I wouldn't be surprised if I have a bit of hearing loss, as I used to listen to my car stereo quite loud (to the point of minor ringing afterwards).  Now, I'm more aware of preserving my hearing.  There's nothing wrong with either. I'd suggest either trying something that's relatively flat sounding, like the ESP/950, or something that's extremely bright, like the T70 - see what you get out of it. Oh and there's also the other point that I should've made earlier: it's also entirely plausible that the Pro2900 are just "it" for you - if they sound absolutely right to your ears (and you already own them and have given up enough meals to get there), that's a good thing at the end of the day, right?  I like this point.  I read an article in Psychology Today that asserted that we have so many options these days (in general) that there are often too many options, which leads to anxiety about what to choose and regret about making the wrong choices.  I think that this applies to headphones very well for a lot of people, including me at one point.  No matter how good a headphone sounds, there's a strong tendency [in me at least] to wonder how much better it could sound.  I'm trying to get away from this mentality.  Having said that, I'm into this hobby for reasons other than pure audio.  I really like being part of this Head-Fi community, and I value headphones for more than just how they sound.  I've read that much (if not most) of the cost of more expensive gear (eg, amps) goes into the fancy housing and stuff not related to actual audio quality.  I don't know how accurate this is, but, if finances permit, I don't have a problem paying more for this, as I consider headphones and gear to have some artistic/aesthetic quality that I value.  I think I'm rambling now...

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #974 of 2,311
There are to many options for headphones, wayyyyyyyyyyyy to many.  Its human nature to always want more, we will always find something wrong with all material items i believe.  Its very hard to just be content with what we have, we think the next new shiny sexy headphones, cars etc are going to make us happy and give us some sort of bliss, but it just dont work that way.  I think its all about learning to be content with what you have, cause i know i have got caught up in the always need the next best thing, and it always gives a short thrill til you buy again.  So with that said lets all go out and gets some new cans
gs1000.gif
.    Everybody just enjoy you cans and be happy, and stop looking for that touch more bass, or better mids, i never knew how huge the headphone market was till i decided to buy some a couple of weeks ago, wowwwwwwwwwww are there alot to pick from, enjoy everybody, i find myself getting caught up in this to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back