Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #991 of 2,312
Does anyone know if the Pro 900s significantly more comfortable than the HFI 680s?

They look pretty much exactly the same build except for a different ear cover.  The 680s hurt my ears after wearing them for a while.  I want to upgrade to the 900s but won't if I have the same problem as I do with my current ones. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #992 of 2,312
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Pro 900s significantly more comfortable than the HFI 680s?

They look pretty much exactly the same build except for a different ear cover.  The 680s hurt my ears after wearing them for a while.  I want to upgrade to the 900s but won't if I have the same problem as I do with my current ones. 

the materials the pro 900 use for padding on the headband and or the earcups are definitely more comfortable than the 680. They have similar clamping force.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #993 of 2,312
Quote:

But the PRO 900 has a complete different sound than the 680. PRO 650/750 sounds more like the 680.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #994 of 2,312
PRO 650 has a very similar sound signature to the HFI 680.
PRO 750 has a very similar sound signature to the HFI 780.
PRO 900 has a very similar sound signature to HFI 580.
PRO 2900 has a very similar sound signature to HFI 2400. (and both are open).
Don't know about PRO 550. This is my theory :).

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #995 of 2,312
Quote:
But the PRO 900 has a complete different sound than the 680. PRO 650/750 sounds more like the 680.

I am fine with it having a different sound.  It would be nice being able to switch between the 900s and the 680s when I am wanting a different sound.  My main concern is the comfort.  I just find that the ear cups don't deep enough so my ear is resting on the hard plastic inside.  I even tried putting some cotton/felt in there to try and make it more comfortable but it didn't help.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #996 of 2,312
Quote:
I am fine with it having a different sound.  It would be nice being able to switch between the 900s and the 680s when I am wanting a different sound.  My main concern is the comfort.  I just find that the ear cups don't deep enough so my ear is resting on the hard plastic inside.  I even tried putting some cotton/felt in there to try and make it more comfortable but it didn't help.

ahhhhh, that sucks. My HFI 580 fit very comfortably. PRO 900 is a beautiful upgrade. Buy an E11 with it :)

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #997 of 2,312
Newcomer to the Ultrasone club!

My DJ1's arrived yesterday and I'm quite fond of them. I bought them to compliment my sr225i's, I use them to listen to Hip Hop and Electronic music whilst my Grados tackle Metal and Progressive. Build is very sturdy, they look snazzy and isolate pretty good. I was initially disappointed with the bass quantity out of the box but I figured out why. I'm running them out of my Little Dot 1+ which is an excellent match for my Grados but they simply don't do the sub-bass potential of the DJ1's justice. I plugged them into my Galaxy S -> Fiio E5 and there was quite a difference. The sub-bass was actually there now, I also felt like the treble was a bit more controlled. They're not as bright as my 225i's yet the Treble somehow seems more in-your-face and fatiguing, maybe because they're closed and the Grados are open and airy. The big difference with the bass was how much more controlled it was. The more liquid, organic nature of the little dot, once again, suits the Grados well. However, the unrealistic and artificial bass of electronic doesn't lend itself well to the Little Dot. The quick fluctuations of the deep sub-bass is much more pronounced on the e5. Then I tried the bass boost. A noticeable bit of extra umph, and at max volume I get some fairly formidable vibration going on. People weren't lying when they said these EQ amazingly well. MASSIVE bass potential. 

Since I don't believe the Little Dot is good for this headphone (Even if there was a better tube for them than the M8100, I'm not going to want to tube roll everytime I switch headphones) I decided I would invest in a second amp, this one for the DJ1's. I'm strongly considering the Fiio E09k and e17 combo. I want to upgrade my DAC from the Xonar DG anyway, and I want a solid state amp for the DJ1's so I think it would be a good choice. I can use the line-out on the E09k to feed my Little Dot too, so it's all nice and a neat. Anyone got any thoughts on that amp for ultrasone phones? Would it be a good match?

One other thing, I was a little surprised by how firm the headband padding felt at first, but even after the first 24 hours it's starting to soften up. Overall they're more comfy than the Grados, even with my leather headband installed.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #998 of 2,312
E17/E09/LDI would be a great combination, giving you a solid state sound and a tube sound. I got my girlfriend a E10/EF2a and I run a Audio-gd NFB5.2/Darkvoice 336

Good dac, good SS and Tube amp --> all sorts of different headphones unlocked!

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #999 of 2,312
E17/E09/LDI would be a great combination, giving you a solid state sound and a tube sound. I got my girlfriend a E10/EF2a and I run a Audio-gd NFB5.2/Darkvoice 336

Good dac, good SS and Tube amp --> all sorts of different headphones unlocked!

Adrian, do you use your Ultrasones with th DV? If so, what tube complement?

Thanks!

@HA- Welcome to the club.

Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #1,002 of 2,312
Quote:
Adrian, do you use your Ultrasones with th DV? If so, what tube complement?
Thanks!
@HA- Welcome to the club.
Cheers!!

Hehe, sold my HFI580 for the D2000, and I run the denon from the solid state.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #1,004 of 2,312
Sennheiser, or a Sony SA3000

Sometimes the grado too, I'm still trying out the grados on both amps.

Do you have a DV too? We can discuss more on pms :)

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,005 of 2,312
Sennheiser, or a Sony SA3000

Sometimes the grado too, I'm still trying out the grados on both amps.

Do you have a DV too? We can discuss more on pms :)

Yes, for years, my first true love in a tube amp. Lol
Been rocking the HFI-2200s with it.

Cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back