Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Aug 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,021 of 2,312
Quote:
I made a thread about this but nobody answered so let me ask here in the makeshift home of Ultrasone -- 

If the HFI-580 and PRO 550 use the same drivers (which they do, according to Ultrasone) then why is the PRO 550 an apparent bass midget?

That is a dramatic difference to say the least. Not something that could be attributed to different cups and a detachable cable.

Sure different cups could affect it. What I know from subwoofer design is that the size of the enclosure directly affects the bass response. Then, depending upon what kind of (or if) there are any dampening materials, that can affect it to.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #1,022 of 2,312
I thought the HFI580 = DJ1 while the PRO550 = DJ1Pro, and that the HFI580 <> the PRO550, or am I wrong?

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,023 of 2,312
I'd highly reccomend you get the HFI-680's over the 780's watch this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejCz5bWvBZM&feature=plcp @ 4:33 ... If you want a flat headphone to hear songs as they really are.

I got the HFI-680's and I must say they are perfect sound once they reach a good 30 hours burn in. I love them!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdYQwunv5a0&playnext=1&list=PL20C8FAB91D01BDBD&feature=results_video check out 7:22

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,024 of 2,312
Do you still get the signature Ultrasone bass with the 680s if they are more flat?

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #1,025 of 2,312
Quote:
How do the HFI-680's compare to the Pro 750's, 900's and 2500's in your opinion Heat?

Hey sizz...

HFI-580s- great overall can that can handle various genres with no probs and keep on going and going asking for more and are easily driven.

HFI-680s- very balanced can, that again can handle various genres with a bit more refinement across the spectrum, but need an amp to bring out their best.

HFI-780s- Out of the box a weird phone indeed.  I loved the bass and sub bass was crazy but the highs seemed detached and piercing and mids were non-existent.  Easily, the most notable change in burn-in out of all my Ultrasones.  150 hours to start the cohesion within the spectrum and 200 hours to say "how you like me now"...lol....Easily driven but better with an amp to keep the highs in check. (disclaimer- I remember the stock sound but both my pairs have been recabled split entry by Drew (Moon Audio), one with Blue Dragon mini and the other Black Dragon 1/4").

PRO750s- Very detailed can and balanced across the spectrum.  I throw metal, rock, house, trance, hip-hop, dubstep at it and it does not miss a beat....Much better with an amp.

PRO900s- The bass lover's dream while retaining all the delicious house sound.  I remember putting on The Cure's Lullaby when I first got them and the wow factor was in full effect.  Much better with an amp.

PRO2500s- One the black sheep of the Ultrasones and an open one at that.  It was my second pair of Ultrasones I purchased.  After the 780s, the second longest one that burn-in made an effect (100+ hours).  Reminds one of the PRO750s but open with better mids.

Disclaimer- I love the 'Sones stock but I have various removable upgraded cables for the PRO Series & HFI-2200, including the one I'm listening to now (HFI-2200 w/ NFB-16)- awesome Mogami (mini) that a local head-fier/friend made.

Quote:
I made a thread about this but nobody answered so let me ask here in the makeshift home of Ultrasone -- 

If the HFI-580 and PRO 550 use the same drivers (which they do, according to Ultrasone) then why is the PRO 550 an apparent bass midget?

That is a dramatic difference to say the least. Not something that could be attributed to different cups and a detachable cable.

I posted in your thread sir...I do not know about the loss of bass you speak of.  Before the PRO Series there was the Proline Series.  Don't know what the differences were and I can only attest to the PRO550 which I own.  The 550s are 64 ohm and sound much better with an amp.  I love 'em with a tube amp myself.  Underdriven they may cause the loss of bass, like most phones.

Quote:
After further researching, I think I'll go with the HFI 780 just so I can try them first. There are enough people that seem to like them better, so why not. Then in a year or so, I can upgrade to the Pro line. Might be that the Pro 900 needs to come next 
smile.gif

Congratz cel4145.  I have the 780s as well and find them great too.  Ultrasones have many models to keep everyone happy and good times to all!!!

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #1,026 of 2,312
Yeah the bass on the HFI-680's is awesome I'm listening to Dj Billy E - Pimpin Bass right now on youtube, and its awesome bass!!!, It feels like I'm shaking the walls as I listen to it, I have to remind myself I'm sitting in dead silence in my room haha.

I'm using a $45 amp I got off of amazon called "Rolls HA43 Pro"

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #1,027 of 2,312
Quote:
I thought the HFI580 = DJ1 while the PRO550 = DJ1Pro, and that the HFI580 <> the PRO550, or am I wrong?

I believe the HFI580a nd DJ1 are identical other than appearance
And the PRO550 and DJ1Pro are identical other than appearance
but that all of them use the same drivers

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #1,028 of 2,312
My line up of headphones includes hifiman and audeze orthos, denon 5000's and grado goldies....but invariably i go back to my pro 900's to immerse myself in the music... you can hear music with orthos you can experience ridiculous details with grados but you can feel the music with Sones.... the bass is delicious, the mids are powerful and they are just an awesome all rounder.... First time i put them on it was like this Holy $ h!t realizing just how above my expectations these cans were.... i try to like my orthos more... I try to appreciate the technicalities and clarity more than the power of the Sones but i dont... the Pro's are my guilty pleasure.... and spend twice as much time in my portable rig as the others combined.... love New Order, Gorillaz, Vampire Weekend and old punk like Operation Ivy with them.... that is what i am listening to right now....Bankshot.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #1,029 of 2,312
Quote:

I posted in your thread sir...I do not know about the loss of bass you speak of.  Before the PRO Series there was the Proline Series.  Don't know what the differences were and I can only attest to the PRO550 which I own.  The 550s are 64 ohm and sound much better with an amp.  I love 'em with a tube amp myself.  Underdriven they may cause the loss of bass, like most phones.

Thank you- I think you just solved the mystery for me. I had never noticed they had completely different ohm ratings. (64 vs 32). It also explains why some people were saying they have no bass and some people were saying they have perfect, slightly reduced bass compared to the 580. Probably comes down to whether they're being fed adequate power. Damn, now I want to try the 550s pretty badly.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #1,030 of 2,312
Quote:

How are those ED8s Ray?

Congratz sizz...The HFI-680s are the black sheep of the Ultrasone line..lol...(I think the HFI-700s are for sure the black sheep)...Folks usually go for the 580s or skip to the 780s...

I find the HFI-680s  more balanced across the spectrum than their cousins the 580s & 780s.  Remember, the 680s are 75 ohm whereas their cous' are 32 ohm (580) & 35 ohm (780).

Hello HF12,

When listening to the ED8's, I wonder how can it get any better?  Sure there are other phones with more sound stage and other things that an open HP can do better but when you add up all the things that the ED8 does so well, it's about as good as it can get in ONE package.  I am a little tired about reading about the people that keep comparing open HP to the ED8 because the fact that it is closed and very good at isolating noise is one of the main reasons many people buy it.

What I wonder is how will the Pro900 sound when I try them again.  I am going to give the ED8 some more listening time and then I am very curious to how my reaction will be to the Pro900 because I have used and loved the Pro900 for a good couple of years now and I couldn't imagine how anything would make me dismiss them.

Cheers.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #1,032 of 2,312
Here's a DJ using Ultrasones.  He may not get high grades for style but he sure gets it for his mixing skills.  Looks like he can use some more clamping force on the HPs too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCP93OdlJcM

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #1,034 of 2,312
Quote:
Hello HF12,

When listening to the ED8's, I wonder how can it get any better?  Sure there are other phones with more sound stage and other things that an open HP can do better but when you add up all the things that the ED8 does so well, it's about as good as it can get in ONE package.  I am a little tired about reading about the people that keep comparing open HP to the ED8 because the fact that it is closed and very good at isolating noise is one of the main reasons many people buy it.

What I wonder is how will the Pro900 sound when I try them again.  I am going to give the ED8 some more listening time and then I am very curious to how my reaction will be to the Pro900 because I have used and loved the Pro900 for a good couple of years now and I couldn't imagine how anything would make me dismiss them.

Cheers.

If you can remember, how close would you say the bass of the Pro900 is to the Edition 8?

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #1,035 of 2,312
Quote:
If you can remember, how close would you say the bass of the Pro900 is to the Edition 8?

When I get the chance in a few weeks time, I will let you know my comments.  For the time being, I am going to try and give the Ed8 as much listening time as I can.  I haven't really listened to the Pro900 for a few weeks now because I took the ES10 with me on my (one month) vacation and I was using them until the Ed8 arrived.

I'll let you know but I am just as interested in finding out when I do a direct comparison in a few weeks.  Sorry that this will have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back