Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Jun 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #946 of 2,312
Quote:
I never said that the Q701 and Pro 900/2900 were similar in sound, I just stated a preference. I listen to mostly electronic and electronic oriented lounge music music as well and the Q701 sounds much more natural compared to the 900. As MuppetFace mentioned the Pro900 is very metallic and colored, for me the 2900 was a little more natural and why I liked it better than the Q701.

I noticed there was a comment about gaming... for gaming and movies nothing beat the sound my my D7000s. I know that may not be a fair comparison (as its more expensive), but I imagine that the less expensive D5000/D2000 would also be good as Denons DX000 tend to have excellent soundstage - which is important for movies and games.

Having owned a few Ultrasone headphones throughout my audio journey, I was never really that impressed with any of the offerings until I reached the Signature Pro, which was a excellent headphone in all respects. That said, I have never tried the HFI series so can't comment on that lineup.

Ok.
Perhaps i don't like lounge music and i don't like akg sound for electronic.
I have also a denon ahd 2000, and i ever thik that pro 900 is better.
More impact and bass more defined.
I don't use headphone for gaming but only for music (electronic like idm, trip hop, nu jazz, d'n'b, ambient, folktronic, dub etc. but not lounge or chill) and i prefer pro 900, for me it has not a metallic sound but fantastic bass and clear highs.
You are right 2900 is a little more natural (but is important for electronic?) but similar to pro 900 and akg is (ever for electronic, but also for rock blues or rock jazz) without bass energy ( i don't like it even for luonge).
I saw your headphone and i like it all (the ones i know, and the others i would like to have all), but i think that we have different opinions.

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #947 of 2,312
Quote:
Do you know well pro 900 or 2900?

I was one of the first people on the forums to buy the PRO 2900 when it first came out and have held onto it ever since despite thinking it was pretty awful. I recently heard the PRO 900 and thought it was even worse. I think most of the PRO line isn't very good, tbh. The HFI line on the other hand is decent insofar as it lacks the outright offensiveness of the PROs treble, which is just way too harsh and sibilant for my liking. I suppose if one prioritizes massive bass quantity and doesn't mind extreme sibilance and harshness, then the PRO line would be a viable option. However I'm rather sensitive to upper-end bite.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #948 of 2,312
Quote:
Read some very good things about Ultrasones.  What model Ultrasone do think is the best all around headphone for Music, Movies, i dont want overpowering bass, but i do want to hear it.  Im thinking Ultrasone pro 750, Ultrasone HFI 2400s, i have about $300 to spend, im equally into music, Stones, Zepplin, Blondie, Plimsouls, and into Blu ray movies, thanks guys.

This is not the place to get a simple answer to a simple question. I bet you could even play FPS with a 10.0000 $ Stax if you have it. This is the place to start your journey like we all here did before. And you will find out that the search might never end. The other day you might start to think about custom cables (or snake oil.....). I found a temporary home with my current setup. But I would not dare to say that is for long.....
Have Fun

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #950 of 2,312
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #951 of 2,312
Seems the reviews are all over the place on these, everybody recommending something different.  The problem is i cant go listen to them, so its only going to be off people who have them, there are just to many to pick from.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #952 of 2,312
I believe the HFI 2400 is the same as the HFI 2200, yes?

If so that's what I'd personally recommend. I did not like the sound of the PRO 2900 and 900 at all. Metallic, harsh, unnatural... pretty awful IMO.

I think yeah they are the same - I remember reading that somewhere (or they're very similar at least).

IMHO the 2900 is a fixed 2400 - it has tighter, less muddy bass, and top-end extension. I didn't find it metallic or harsh; relatively well balanced. If the head-band hadn't been such a colossal failure on my set I would've kept them.

The 2400 is probably less polarizing though - it's dark-ish and warm/bassy. It gets that "bass headphone" effect quite right, while having some midrange presence. I think the 2900 is superior in terms of detail/accuracy/etc. I really didn't find them harsh, but they aren't fatigue-free either. If I had to establish a gradient between say, MDR-F1 (silky smooth) and T70 (nail to the ear), the 2900 would sit somewhere in the middle. IMHO.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #953 of 2,312
Quote:

I was one of the first people on the forums to buy the PRO 2900 when it first came out and have held onto it ever since despite thinking it was pretty awful. I recently heard the PRO 900 and thought it was even worse. I think most of the PRO line isn't very good, tbh. The HFI line on the other hand is decent insofar as it lacks the outright offensiveness of the PROs treble, which is just way too harsh and sibilant for my liking. I suppose if one prioritizes massive bass quantity and doesn't mind extreme sibilance and harshness, then the PRO line would be a viable option. However I'm rather sensitive to upper-end bite.

you said the HFI line is decent. Would you have any other recommendations in the same price range that is better? (talking about the hfi 2400). or is it just that the s-logic in general doesnt work for you?

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #954 of 2,312
Be sure to check out which models are open-back or closed-back.  This makes a difference to the sound, and isolation/leakage may be important for your requirements. 

For example:
The Pro 750 and Pro 900 are closed 'phones.  The Pro 2900 and HFI 2400 are open backed.
Some of these models are roughly equivalent (at the same level) with the only difference being open/closed.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #955 of 2,312
Quote:

I think that's a total opposite of me. You know I listen mostly to synthpop and such electronic music, and in my opinion, that metalness adds something very addictive and likable to the sound. I've yet to hear Moogs and other synths sound this good on other headphones. I can't really compare to other ultrasones, but I can however compare to the Denon D2000 and while the D2000 is a very good headphone technically speaking, it just plays the music for me. It does nothing else. It's like watching a painting from a distance. The Pro 900 adds life to the music I listen to, it and doesn't just play the music, it actually sorta kinda puts a bridge between me and my music. Almost like I can step closer to the painting and touch it and feel the dried paint with my fingertips. I guess we all have our own tonal, or sonic, preferences and wishes. As for the harshness, for what it's worth, I've never had any issues with that either as it gives a much wanted and longed for "edge" to the synths that some headphones just can't deliver.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #957 of 2,312
Quote:
How do people feel about the Pro 750 these days? I picked one up for some portable listening but am yet to get it in the mail.

I thought they were pretty nice. The mids were too recessed for me to keep as my primary headphone, but there was tons to love about them. In terms of bass quality and quantity I thought they were some of the best I've ever heard. I was really shocked by just how detailed the bass was for being so plentiful.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #958 of 2,312
Quote:

I thought they were pretty nice. The mids were too recessed for me to keep as my primary headphone, but there was tons to love about them. In terms of bass quality and quantity I thought they were some of the best I've ever heard. I was really shocked by just how detailed the bass was for being so plentiful.

Thanks! Sounds good, they will primarily be used for electronic type music. I have always felt mids were not as important as bass and treble with electronic music.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #959 of 2,312
Quote:
you said the HFI line is decent. Would you have any other recommendations in the same price range that is better? (talking about the hfi 2400). or is it just that the s-logic in general doesnt work for you?

I like my HFI 2200. For $300, I'd suggest looking into the Sennheiser HD 598 or Philips Fidelio L1. If you can spend $400 I think the HiFiMan HE-400 sounds fantastic despite being a bit uncomfortable. Also there are probably lots of good options on the used market.

It's not really a matter of S-Logic, but rather the sibilance / harshness of the PRO line that bothers me.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #960 of 2,312
Quote:

I like my HFI 2200. For $300, I'd suggest looking into the Sennheiser HD 598 or Philips Fidelio L1. If you can spend $400 I think the HiFiMan HE-400 sounds fantastic despite being a bit uncomfortable. Also there are probably lots of good options on the used market.

It's not really a matter of S-Logic, but rather the sibilance / harshness of the PRO line that bothers me.

yeah the hd598 were the first headphones i considered, but a majority of the crowd say that the overall sound quality is better on the hfi 2400 and the akg q701 (the other headset im considering). TBH i think $300 is where im setting my max at. Its just even though technically other headsets would be better for the extra $100, it wouldnt be a difference i would notice considering these are my first audiophile headphones, maybe down the future ill invest more but atm i just wanted to settle on a mid-range audiophile headphone. But since i am planning to use these for a good couple of years to come i still want my $300 investment to be worth it (itll be 70/30 between singleplayer fps gaming and vocal heavy music). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back