Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Mar 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #751 of 2,312

Quote:
There are some people that state the 2900s are the exact same housing, just open/vs closed with the same drivers but its apparent that they were tuned differently as well (I did extensive A/B testing when I had both, it wasn't just a matter of open vs closed, at least to my ears).

Personally I can't understand why people think you can simply take a closed headphone, break the chasis and label it as open without redesigning the drivers. At least it would carry some different tunings like you suggested. *shrugs*

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #752 of 2,312

Quote:
There are some people that state the 2900s are the exact same housing, just open/vs closed with the same drivers but its apparent that they were tuned differently as well (I did extensive A/B testing when I had both, it wasn't just a matter of open vs closed, at least to my ears).

Yeah, I got an email from Ultrasone saying that the drivers are different and that the circuit boards are different, so it's not just open vs closed.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #753 of 2,312
^ Well, then it must be true...

rolleyes.gif

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #754 of 2,312

Quote:
Personally I can't understand why people think you can simply take a closed headphone, break the chasis and label it as open without redesigning the drivers. At least it would carry some different tunings like you suggested. *shrugs*

The minute the enclosure is changed(in this case open from closed), the tuning is naturally changed.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #755 of 2,312
Hey, anyone have a link how to dissasemble Ultrasone HFI 580's and Pro 550's? Id like to make a small mod by sticking some sound dampening material on the baffle to maybe relax the treble just a tiny bit. Link would be appreciated.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #757 of 2,312
It is my belief that the titanium driver is the same, despite what you might have been told.

1. I have never seen any evidence that the actual driver (as opposed to various porting, or enclosure dampening, or earpad) differences between those models.

2. Most communications from the manufacturers tend to be from marketing or customer-service departments that do not understand the technical differences & tend to say what they are told to say when responding to inquiries.

Let's just say that I have a healthy dose of skepticism.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #758 of 2,312

Quote:
I do listen to quite a bit of electronic music (Drum&Bass, House/Garage, Dubstep), but also some acoustic, jazz, classical, rock and hiphop. Honestly anything.

One thing I don't like about my IEMs is the seeming lack of soundstage, but I still need closed cans. I'm hoping the S-Logic of the Ultrasone's will do the trick. It seems then that it's between the Pro 550's and the AudioTechnica M50s for me.

I'm not worried about restricted volume on the iPhone - I'll definitely get the Fiio E11 regardless of what can I end up with as I think it's probably a good investment.

This is a somewhat shallow consideration, but if you are wearing them out and about you might also want to take their appearance into account. The M50's are definitely attractive and understated compared to the Pro 550's which are rather bling because of the shiny metallic cups. The Pro 550 is also rebranded as the slightly less flashy DJ-1 Pro (Not just DJ1, that is the HFI 580).

I don't think you can go wrong with either set of 'phones to be honest, but the Pro 550's tend to be more expensive, and there is probably a comparable difference in soundstage.*

*The opinion of someone who has not listened to an ATH M50.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #759 of 2,312

Quote:
It is my belief that the titanium driver is the same, despite what you might have been told.

1. I have never seen any evidence that the actual driver (as opposed to various porting, or enclosure dampening, or earpad) differences between those models.

2. Most communications from the manufacturers tend to be from marketing or customer-service departments that do not understand the technical differences & tend to say what they are told to say when responding to inquiries.

Let's just say that I have a healthy dose of skepticism.

I see. I also think it's good to have a healthy dose of skepticism around these parts - factoids run rampant. Which is obviously why I'm asking you why you are skeptic about it and if you can prove that Ultrasone is, in fact, lying about it, I will fully change my belief about the drivers in question.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #760 of 2,312

Quote:
This is a somewhat shallow consideration, but if you are wearing them out and about you might also want to take their appearance into account. The M50's are definitely attractive and understated compared to the Pro 550's which are rather bling because of the shiny metallic cups. The Pro 550 is also rebranded as the slightly less flashy DJ-1 Pro (Not just DJ1, that is the HFI 580).

I don't think you can go wrong with either set of 'phones to be honest, but the Pro 550's tend to be more expensive, and there is probably a comparable difference in soundstage.*

*The opinion of someone who has not listened to an ATH M50.

I'd be lying if I said looks weren't a consideration. DJ1 Pro's look cheap and tacky to me. ATH-M50's look a bit bland, although the Limited Editions are better. I like the cans of the Pro 550's, but don't like the grey and black combo (900's look best). DT770's are ugly but have the velour pads which are said to be very comfortable, and I know they're very capable headphones. ARGH. See my dilemma?

I could get them all for about £120-130 each so price difference isn't a massive issue.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #761 of 2,312
Whether or not you want to believe there are different tuned drivers in the 900/2900 its certain that they do sound different. Not night and day different, but the 2900s are much more neutral and less colored than the 900s and that can't just be due to opening up the back (imo). And frankly even if it is, at the end of the day the 2900s just sound better haha so if you're interested in a better sounding Can its worth the upgrade.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #762 of 2,312

Quote:
Hey, anyone have a link how to dissasemble Ultrasone HFI 580's and Pro 550's? Id like to make a small mod by sticking some sound dampening material on the baffle to maybe relax the treble just a tiny bit. Link would be appreciated.

Try searching this forum for the "Kees mod" - it is for the Pro 900 but may be similar enough to apply to the cheaper models (I think the construction is very similar on all of them).  It can certainly be applied to the pro 750's in the same way.  The mod is simple and reversible.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #763 of 2,312
Ultrasone HFI-780 on the way, really excited. Stepping up from some decent Sony MDR-XB500.

For now they will be driven from my HP computer, or 80gb 6th gen ipod. Also I will experiment with the headphone jack on my dad's old-school Carver C-2 pre-amp receiver, see what that's all about.

All in all, can not wait!!! Large majority (90-95%) listening to Trance (Armin, A&B, Cosmic Gate, Dash Berlin, Markus Schulz, Sunlounger, Allure, etc.)

Nice to meet you all, 
beyersmile.png

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #765 of 2,312

Quote:
Have Pro 750 :) :) when it's time for upgrade Pro 900 will be high on the choice lsit ^^

If you have the 750, for your next upgrade you should definitely skip the 900 and go for the 2900s.. A much better phone IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back