Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Apr 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #781 of 2,312
If you can stand the look, take the 20th Anniversary Edition. It is literally the PRO 650 and has the carry case. So it is the best value for your money.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #782 of 2,312
Looks of the 680 are way better than the anniversary and case is not so important...

If the anniversary was 100% sound wise , what would the 580 and 680 be?
And how is the bass from the anniversary vs 680?

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #783 of 2,312
The HFI-x80 series is brighter, punchier, & are easily powered directly from a portable device.

The PRO650/Anniversary, while still having the foundation of the Ultrasone family signature, is comparatively more even-keeled & sounds better when amped.

(My personal preference is for the PRO650/Anniversary)

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #784 of 2,312
Since I didn't push the order button yet (had to do it before 21:00 to get them tomorrow) I think I am kind of feelin better about the anniversary ...

Just gonna stay inside with it, so nobody sees it :)

Is there a "grin on the face" bass in it?
I had that grinn with both the xb500 and xb700, but a little less would be better...

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #785 of 2,312
Maybe you want to tell us about the DAP or amp the headphone shall run from. That would make it easier to help you.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #786 of 2,312
At home it will be running from a Onkyo receiver which will stream music from my ATV (flac).
Mobile it will be my iPhone 4 or iPad nano 5th gen both connected with an fiio e5 (that's all I've got.....sorry.....)

Just read something about the anniversary leaking à lot (not so good isolation) , true?

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #787 of 2,312
I have the PRO 550. The Anniversary is similar built with smaller, but "better" speakers. Mine does not leak enough to disturb my wife sleeping beside me.
smile.gif
The open ones like HFI 2400 leak a lot and does not isolate from outside noise, but the closed PRO and HFI do not.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #789 of 2,312
Sorry, but I have no experience with this amp. I had the chance to shoot a used Meier Audio Stepdance @ the bay. That amp is a killer. My Pro 550 sounds great straight from the Ipod Classic, but when I switch to the Stepdance the cans start beasting.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #792 of 2,312
Which one did you buy?

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #793 of 2,312

Quote:
The Ultrasone fan club just got it's newest member. I received my DJ1 this morning, i really didn't want to listen to them straight out of the box so started to burn them in, needless to say i couldn't resist so after twenty minutes i quickly put them on my head, not impressed sounded very congested and muddy with pretty ferocious highs, with a frown on my face i put them back on to cook. It's now been 8 hours and already what a huge change they already sound much clearer, super tight bass, perfect quantity and a very good mixture of sub bass and impact and the highs have already mellowed but still nice and sharp. Very excited to see how they go in the next couple of days.

I found with the HFi 580/DJ1's that listening to them fresh out the box caused ear pain. Then, after you play music through them for a wile, it benefits to lower the treble and raise the bass.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #794 of 2,312

Quote:
The DJ1 PRO does lack a bit of bass. Its a neutral headphone, even the FR graphs of the PRO550 (same headphone) suggest so. 

And something like a Fiio E11 wont change that. My Iphone did a better job with adding bass then the FiiO.
blink.gif

Edit: Just read the bass boost was enjoyable to him? Really. I used a nice track with bass from the included CD, switching from iPhone to iPhone/FiiO, the iPhone by itself won in reproduction of bass. I was on a iPhone 3G.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #795 of 2,312

Quote:

I see. I also think it's good to have a healthy dose of skepticism around these parts - factoids run rampant. Which is obviously why I'm asking you why you are skeptic about it and if you can prove that Ultrasone is, in fact, lying about it, I will fully change my belief about the drivers in question.

And about the company...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back