Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Jan 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #601 of 2,311

Quote:
Found a pair of the now out-of-production HFI 2200s. I'm giving them a whirl.

Very smooth and fun headphones, these. Back when they were in production and people were still discussing them on the forum, they were oft referred to as "romantic dinner by candlelight" headphones. I think this description is pretty apt. Soundstage isn't as expansive as some of Ultrasone's other open headphones, and their resolution is perhaps a tad lower than some of their more recently released siblings, but, for me, their overall tonal quality puts them ahead of most of the other HFI, Proline, and PRO models I've tried in the past. Liquid? Yes. Warm? Indeed. Fun? Certainly!

Highs are not at all harsh, and there is little if any sibilance. They make the PRO 2900 sound downright harsh to me. Mids seem a bit recessed but still very musical and fluid. Lows are solid without being bloated, and I'm not detecting any bleeding into the other frequencies.

Then of course there are the aesthetics of the thing. Love it or hate it, it's certainly unique. I can't help but think "70s sofa." They've got charm for sure. All in all, I think Ultrasone had a real winner with the HFI 2200. If you're looking for a pleasant and highly colored headphone these are worth spending the time looking for.

I've seen them on amazon.co.uk for pretty cheap. I'm wondering if these would be worth trying out, since they are pretty cheap. They're somewhere around the same price as HFI 580..

What kind of music would you recommend these for?

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #602 of 2,311

Quote:
I've seen them on amazon.co.uk for pretty cheap. I'm wondering if these would be worth trying out, since they are pretty cheap. They're somewhere around the same price as HFI 580..

What kind of music would you recommend these for?

I don't find them inappropriate for any genre, really. For something like hard rock or metal you may want something with a bit more treble energy and bite to it, but the HFI 2200 is, at its worst, merely inoffensive. These are extremely forgiving headphones and very little is going to sound "bad" on them.

That being said, I most enjoy these with electronica and other types of beat-oriented, atmospheric music and acoustic folk. That may seem like a weird combination, but these headphones are uniquely well suited for both given that they manage to be airy and gooey/liquid at the same time. They're punchy but relaxed. Intimate yet open.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #603 of 2,311

Quote:
I don't find them inappropriate for any genre, really. For something like hard rock or metal you may want something with a bit more treble energy and bite to it, but the HFI 2200 is, at its worst, merely inoffensive. These are extremely forgiving headphones and very little is going to sound "bad" on them.

That being said, I most enjoy these with electronica and other types of beat-oriented, atmospheric music and acoustic folk. That may seem like a weird combination, but these headphones are uniquely well suited for both given that they manage to be airy and gooey/liquid at the same time. They're punchy but relaxed. Intimate yet open.

Considering I have the D2000 and the Pro 900 as my home headphones, how would you say these fit in with the rest of the gang? I mean, are they very different from those two or would these be "same, same"?

While I think there are differences enough between the D2000 and Pro 900 to keep both of them (actually, to me they are nothing alike, but some seem to want to compare them anyway..), I wouldn't want a third pair of headphones filling the same gaps that these two do - especially considering my main music tastes are mainly electronic (synthpop, 80s new wave, cold wave, dark wave, electropop, electroclash, etc.).

Since these are discontinued, maybe it would be worth getting these before they become hard to get, but I'd need to make sure it'd be worth it. Even though they are cheap, money will still be money, and a rarity at times.

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #604 of 2,311
HFI-780 owner. Love them to death; they make everything I throw at them a listening pleasure, super comfortable, useable both at home and portable, can be run from an iPod without amp and ultra durable.

My possible future upgrade will be the PRO 900; I really have to hear its famous bass!

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #605 of 2,311
Since you want to compare them with the D2000, how would these go with the SRH440? The 580s are back at $118.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #606 of 2,311

Quote:
I'm looking for a bit of advice from you guys, i'm coming from some bass heavy iem's, IE8 and Atrio m5 and am now looking to buy a closed headphone and would really like an Ultrasone, i'm specifically looking at the DJ1 as it's within my budget at the moment. I would like to know how the bass on these compares with the current iem's i'm used to.

Your question might better be answered if you post on a dedicated thread.
Never owned the DJ1, so won't comment there. 
That said, the HFI-780 are available right now, brand new, for about $145/shipped.  Or you could wait for a good deal on a pair here on Head-Fi.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #607 of 2,311

Quote:
Highs are not at all harsh, and there is little if any sibilance. They make the PRO 2900 sound downright harsh to me. Mids seem a bit recessed but still very musical and fluid. Lows are solid without being bloated, and I'm not detecting any bleeding into the other frequencies.

Its not the same with HFi2400 apparently. HFi2400 has lot of soundstage, can be very harsh in the treble with some songs, but very fun and warm. Mids and bass are very good.

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #608 of 2,311

Quote:
The 580s are back at $118.

Quote:
the HFI-780 are available right now, brand new, for about $145/shipped.

Anyway, 118 for HFi580 or 145 for HFi780, both are excellent price.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #609 of 2,311
just got the hfi580 from amazon and really looking forward to trying them out. I read that 580 has more bass then 780 so that is why i went with them. Gonna be my first ultrasone, currently using custom tf10 iem but wanted to try some cans.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #610 of 2,311
Does anyone know of a place to demo the higher end ultrasones in southern california (edition series and signature pros...)?

Jan 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #611 of 2,311
The Ultrasone fan club just got it's newest member. I received my DJ1 this morning, i really didn't want to listen to them straight out of the box so started to burn them in, needless to say i couldn't resist so after twenty minutes i quickly put them on my head, not impressed sounded very congested and muddy with pretty ferocious highs, with a frown on my face i put them back on to cook. It's now been 8 hours and already what a huge change they already sound much clearer, super tight bass, perfect quantity and a very good mixture of sub bass and impact and the highs have already mellowed but still nice and sharp. Very excited to see how they go in the next couple of days.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #612 of 2,311
I'm in love!!! I can listen to music without using the bass boost on my CMoy
L3000.gif
The S-Logic needs some getting used to, finally know what headfonia was talking about when reviewed the DJ1, but they are keepers. I will have to see if my other cans fit into my arsenal.

Gotta love the demo disc with the fireworks track, the carrying bag and packaging. Don't think i'll ever own the 325i so the chrome cups on these will have to do, seexxxyyy!

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #613 of 2,311
Just received the 580's a few days ago and I really like them.  I am thinking about upgrading to the Pro 900 if they are anything like the 580's sound signature although I have read that the Pro 900 are really sibilant.  I also have the HD 598 and as great as they sound they are a little too laid back, gonna try the denon 2000 next.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #615 of 2,311
Quote:
Just received the 580's a few days ago and I really like them.  I am thinking about upgrading to the Pro 900 if they are anything like the 580's sound signature although I have read that the Pro 900 are really sibilant.  I also have the HD 598 and as great as they sound they are a little too laid back, gonna try the denon 2000 next.

You really must try for yourself.  I have the Pro 750's, of which some have complained of ear-splitting sibilance.
I have only heard annoying sibilance on one or two tracks which are probably extreme cases.  What I typically hear is nicely detailed with solid fast bass, and I can listen for hours.  Maybe it is due to my gear or my ears (or brain burn-in), but I am happy with them.

Bear in mind that the Pro range have different drivers (titanium coated) from the HFI range (gold-plated drivers).  The Pro 750/900 are also closed-back, as (I think) your 580's are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back