Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Jan 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #571 of 2,312

Quote:

Maybe, that's why I never listen to another headphone during a burn-in,lol.

LOL Yeah, that's a fair point. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see in a week or so if this change is permanent or if it gets back to bigger and boomier. :) Or whatever it is that is causing these changes.. LOL

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #572 of 2,312
yeah, good luck with your pair of pro900,lol.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #573 of 2,312

Quote:
Suddenly it seems like the bass on the pro 900 has disappeared.. LOL

Maybe halfways through burn-in..

I also had this problem... bass left and never came back, and off the pro 900s went for return! never had this problem with the 2900s.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #574 of 2,312
I had the same thing happen when I first got my PRO2900. I was listening to Electric Wizard, a very bass heavy metal band, and suddenly I though "hey where did the bass go?". I grew increasingly disappointed for the next few days(I don't burn in overnight, just when I'm listening) and thought about returning them. It came back while I was gaming with a friend. I had had the Electric Wizard CD on repeat for maybe the third time, as I was really enjoying what was going on bass wise, it was quite noticeable when it left.

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #575 of 2,312

Quote:
I had the same thing happen when I first got my PRO2900. I was listening to Electric Wizard, a very bass heavy metal band, and suddenly I though "hey where did the bass go?". I grew increasingly disappointed for the next few days(I don't burn in overnight, just when I'm listening) and thought about returning them. It came back while I was gaming with a friend. I had had the Electric Wizard CD on repeat for maybe the third time, as I was really enjoying what was going on bass wise, it was quite noticeable when it left.

hmm thats weird that this happens with ultrasones.. never heard of noticed this with any other headphone i've owned.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #576 of 2,312
Probably, as usual due to the S-logic feature,lol.

But why Pro900 more than others, good question. 

I have never encountered the problem or pay attention to it.

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #577 of 2,312

Quote:

Huh... I was quite skeptical about these reports, but maybe there is something to it. You should be getting a literally constant level of bass from an Electric Wizard album except for the odd pause between songs. I don't think I could come up with a better test, haha.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #579 of 2,312
nick n and Ahzari:
Besides being expensive and uncomfortable/clunky--I am echoing the ubiquitous MH--the LCD-2 sounded just a bit staid and 2-dimensional to me compared to the PRO 2500.  True, the Audeze offered superior detail, excellent bass and resolution but, for me, lacked that "something" to really get and keep my attention.  For all the individual things they did very well, the LCD-2, to me, just couldn't quite "pull it all together" and create a holistic listening/musical experience for me.  

After about 75 hours on the (LCD-2) pair I bought from another head-fier, I found myself consistently switching to the PRO 2500 and, while fully aware of the performance areas where the Audeze technically "bettered" the Ultrasones, the latter--despite their apparent shortcomings--still gave me something that proved ultimately more satisfying than the former.  If I started out by listening to one song with the LCD-2, I would find myself finishing the disc with the PRO 2500 (or the K501).

Aside from that, and admitting my own lack of breadth with respect to the comparatively few products I've heard or owned, I have never been a fan of planar systems, either with outboard speakers (like the Martin Logans) or with headphones (like the Stax, or now the Audeze).  They don't sound "real" to my ears and can never adequately convey the bristle and vibrancy of a musical performance like a decent dynamic system. 

PAB

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #580 of 2,312

Quote:
Besides being expensive and uncomfortable/clunky--I am echoing MH--the LCD-2 sounded just a bit staid and 2-dimensional to me compared to the PRO 2500.  True, the Audeze offered superior detail, excellent bass and resolution but, for me, lacked that "something" to really get and keep my attention.  For all the individual things they did very well, the LCD-2, to me, just couldn't quite "pull it all together" and create a holistic listening/musical experience for me.  

Sure, this will ruffle feathers, but it doesn't change my mind a bit.  After about 75 hours on the (LCD-2) pair I bought from another head-fier, I found myself consistently switching to the PRO 2500 and, while fully aware of the performance areas where the Audeze technically "bettered" the Ultrasones, the latter--despite their apparent shortcomings--still gave me something that proved ultimately more satisfying than the former.

Aside from that, and admitting my own lack of breadth with respect to the comparatively few products I've heard or owned, I have never been a fan of planar systems, either with outboard speakers (like the Martin Logans) or with headphones (like the Stax, or now the Audeze).  They don't sound "real" to my ears and can never adequately convey the bristle and vibrancy of a musical performance like a decent dynamic system. 

interesting remarks... I always like hearing these types of comments because it leaves me less disappointed when I hear headphones that are so so raved about haha.. Have you tried out the HifiMan HE500s by any chance? Also did you find the LCDs to be more or less sibilant than the ultrasones (if that even applies)?

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #581 of 2,312

Quote:
interesting remarks... I always like hearing these types of comments because it leaves me less disappointed when I hear headphones that are so so raved about haha.. Have you tried out the HifiMan HE500s by any chance? Also did you find the LCDs to be more or less sibilant than the ultrasones (if that even applies)?

The least sibilant headphones I've heard are the LCD-2/3s. Trust me...look at the FR graphs, the treble being shelved down in the siblance range is what makes them so immune to the phenomena. Of course Pata may have another view.
smile.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #582 of 2,312

Quote:
hmm thats weird that this happens with ultrasones.. never heard of noticed this with any other headphone i've owned.

This is possibly due to the Ultrasone Pro's "quick release" pads.  The bass reproduction will suffer if the pads are are loose.  I used to have a problem with my Pro 750's where the pads would work loose and then fall off.  That has now been fixed by addition of some PVC tape to make the pads fit much tighter.  If you do a search on these forums you will find other fixes for this problem.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #583 of 2,312

Quote:

Two graphs that show one headphone is superior to another performance-wise, yes. But preference is not the same as performance. Some people prefer certain colorations rather than what's "best" in a vertically reaching sense.

I'm not sure I agree that frequency response graphs can demonstrate that one headphone has superior performance. Isn't frequency response only one aspect of headphone performance? For me it is possibly the least important -- so long as nothing is annoyingly obtrusive or obviously missing. I am more interested in dynamics, imaging and soundstaging, none of which can really be measured. I too prefer the PRO 2900 to the LCD-2, for many of the same reasons as pataburd.

Jan 5, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #584 of 2,312

Quote:
The least sibilant headphones I've heard are the LCD-2/3s. Trust me...look at the FR graphs, the treble being shelved down in the siblance range is what makes them so immune to the phenomena. Of course Pata may have another view.
smile.gif

I thought the HD650s would take the cake for the least sibilant headphones :)... 

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #585 of 2,312

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree that frequency response graphs can demonstrate that one headphone has superior performance. Isn't frequency response only one aspect of headphone performance?

Sarcasm doesn't always come through on the Internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back