Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Dec 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #526 of 2,312

Quote:
The Signature Pro is in stock now. Just placed an order.

curious about the signature pros too.. looking forward to your take on it.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #527 of 2,312
So I've been putting some serious time on my Proline 750's lately, while still very please with them, I am starting to notice some quirks with them as I introduce new songs into my rotation. Most notably is some of the mids will have... I don't know how to describe it... Maybe a metallic scraping sound? It's a little weird, and it's definitely not on all my music, but it is a little strange. And the highs, while not harsh, will get a little of that same characteristic. And since I suck at trying to pin down frequencies, has anyone else had this problem, and do you know which frequency range I might EQ down to remove this?

Alternatively, how does the HFI-2200 for smoothness in the highs and mids? I haven't been able to find any good reviews on them, but I have heard people mention they are more musical and forgiving than other Ultrasones. Would they be worth owning as a side-step to the PROline 750's? (I also feel like I must admit I'm quite stricken with the design of them.
tongue.gif
)

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #528 of 2,312

Quote:

The Signature Pro is in stock now. Just placed an order.

Congratz! 

I vowed a while back that my 12 pairs of 'Sones were enough for me.  I will live vicariously through your impressions....
beerchug.gif

Quote:

So I've been putting some serious time on my Proline 750's lately, while still very please with them, I am starting to notice some quirks with them as I introduce new songs into my rotation. Most notably is some of the mids will have... I don't know how to describe it... Maybe a metallic scraping sound? It's a little weird, and it's definitely not on all my music, but it is a little strange. And the highs, while not harsh, will get a little of that same characteristic. And since I suck at trying to pin down frequencies, has anyone else had this problem, and do you know which frequency range I might EQ down to remove this?

Alternatively, how does the HFI-2200 for smoothness in the highs and mids? I haven't been able to find any good reviews on them, but I have heard people mention they are more musical and forgiving than other Ultrasones. Would they be worth owning as a side-step to the PROline 750's? (I also feel like I must admit I'm quite stricken with the design of them.
tongue.gif
)

Listening to them right now with my desktop tube amp.  Smooth indeed, like chocolate syrup on a triple decker sundae.  Definitely a great compliment to the PRO750s.  They must be driven properly though, if not they'll sound like melted fudge.

I posted these pics somewhere in this thread I believe.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #529 of 2,312
Nice pictures, they definitely look more chocolatey in those pictures than most I've seen.
tongue.gif

What's the going rate on a used pair these days? In my searching I've seen them as low as $125, but not sure if that was a priced to move sale or what.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #531 of 2,312
I owned the HFI 2400. When I made some research on them I read a few times that they are technically similar to the HFI-2200. The only difference is the colour. And yes to my ears these need a dark source to not sound too bright in the high range. I now listen to my PRO 550 which are a lot more neutral.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #532 of 2,312

Quote:
And yes to my ears these need a dark source to not sound too bright in the high range.

Dark i don't know, Hfi2400 is already a warm headphone, darker ll be too much imo. Yes Hfi2400 has sometimes harsh treble, but its the most amp dependent headphone from ultrasone imo.

Very good headphone, but shine only with an excellent amp.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #533 of 2,312

Quote:

Dark i don't know, Hfi2400 is already a warm headphone, darker ll be too much imo. Yes Hfi2400 has sometimes harsh treble, but its the most amp dependent headphone from ultrasone imo.

Very good headphone, but shine only with an excellent amp.

This has me a little worried then, since I don't think my amp would be considered excellent. I really wish 32 Ohm Audio didn't close up shop, that would make this a little easier.

Ah well, not like I have money right now anyway, just prospecting.
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #534 of 2,312

Quote:
This has me a little worried then, since I don't think my amp would be considered excellent. I really wish 32 Ohm Audio didn't close up shop, that would make this a little easier.

tongue.gif

I am exaggerating, not necessarily excellent, but at least a good amp with good reserve of power. Hfi2400 is 70ohm, but it is also not very efficient with 94db (and open).

Its really the only Ultrasone headphone that i need to use every time with an amp.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #535 of 2,312

Quote:

tongue.gif

If you are referring to your LD I+, you are good.  The I+ sounds great with all my Ultrasones.  I have two of them.  One fitted with 408A tubes w/ LT1364 opamp and the other with EF91, EF92 w/ MC33078P (stock) opamp.

Good times, I tell ya.

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #536 of 2,312
Quote:
Congratz! 
I vowed a while back that my 12 pairs of 'Sones were enough for me.  I will live vicariously through your impressions....
beerchug.gif

Listening to them right now with my desktop tube amp.  Smooth indeed, like chocolate syrup on a triple decker sundae.  Definitely a great compliment to the PRO750s.  They must be driven properly though, if not they'll sound like melted fudge.

I posted these pics somewhere in this thread I believe.

These remind me more and more of the Ultrasone 10's, but i know there not
tongue.gif
With those though, IMO, you should upgrade your system. A Cavalli Liquid Fire would look beautiful with them
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #537 of 2,312

Quote:
These remind me more and more of the Ultrasone 10's, but i know there not
tongue.gif
With those though, IMO, you should upgrade your system. A Cavalli Liquid Fire would look beautiful with them
beerchug.gif

You mean the Signature Pro sounds like the Edition 10?

I'd have to disagree. The main difference is the lack of overly energetic top end and sibilance. The Edition 10 can be too shrill and ear-piercing on certain recordings, whereas the Signature Pro is much more evenly tempered, without a trace of sibilance. The Edition 10 still excels at that "being there" sensation through its imaging abilities, but overall I prefer the Signature Pro hands down.

The Edition 10 actually sounds much better to my ears unamped through a MacBook Pro than it does out of my expensive setups.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #538 of 2,312
Quote:
You mean the Signature Pro sounds like the Edition 10?

I'd have to disagree. The main difference is the lack of overly energetic top end and sibilance. The Edition 10 can be too shrill and ear-piercing on certain recordings, whereas the Signature Pro is much more evenly tempered, without a trace of sibilance. The Edition 10 still excels at that "being there" sensation through its imaging abilities, but overall I prefer the Signature Pro hands down.

The Edition 10 actually sounds much better to my ears unamped through a MacBook Pro than it does out of my expensive setups.

No,no,no. I would never say something like the SP's sound like the Edition 10's. I was just saying they look both very beautiful and brown
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back