The tipical quest for 1st headphones recommendation
Jun 12, 2012 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ralphsv

New Head-Fier
Hello. I'm Ralph, adn this is my first time in the forums. I'm also totally new to the high quality sound world.
I had always listened to music with the headphones included by default with my players, as well as simple headphones I bought in the way,
Some time ago, I finally decided to try new headphones, and I bought some Sony MDR ZX300. I loved their sound as it was a huge improvement over the stuff I was used to.
So, now that I've had some time with them, I'm interested in something new with a good sound. Since these will be my first quality headphones, I guess I will have to try a bunch of them before I find the ones that fit me best (in terms of sound I mean), so I'd prefer to start with something rather cheap, say  a top of $60, considering that I will also have to add shipping fees to my country.

First, I will name my likings:

I like pretty much the sound of low notes (bass in rock/metal music, lower scales on piano in classical, etc), so I would like to have some decent bass, without being too strong. For example, my car player has a knob with bass in one extreme and treble in the other. I use it in the mid of neutral position and bass. I really dislike to hear music when people uses bass in the maximum and it becomes distorted and with a lot of vibration. I also dislike when the bass does not distort, but you feel a "hit" when a low note sound.

I listen several kinds of music, ranging from classical to even black or death metal, having rock (some soft, some heavy), electronic stuff, and even some pop or latin music between these extremes. But I hear the most: metal, not so heavy rock and classical (specially big choirs stuff).

So, what would be your recommendations for my case?

Also, I have a question:
If the headphones have, i.e. a 5-25000 frequency response, is it pointless to buy them to use with an mp3 player that has a specification of 20-2000 frequency response?

Sorry for this long first post, and thank you very much!
Cheers.

--Ralph.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 12
Welcome Ralph,

Sounds like you'd want some bass IEMs with good extension and impact, but some flexibility.

There are tons of options at that price range, and I'd suggest scanning through |joker|'s multi-iem review.

A few worth considering would be:
Vsonic GR06
Vsonic GR02 B
JVC FX101
JVC FX40

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you Dnullify. I totally forgot to mention, I don't like in-ear or earbuds. I would prefer on-ear in the first place, or over ear in second.
But I will check your suggestions anyway! thanks.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 12
Ah,

Then here's a thread you should take a look at:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Only headphones I've got any experience with myself in that price range are the koss porta pros, and the PX100s. Both are pretty good, but are open backed ultra-portables.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 12
The new JVC HA-S200 at around $20 seems very promising.  The Koss pro DJ100 at around $50 seems like a good buy for the price. The JVC HA-S160 headphone sounds great even though it is as little as $11. The AKG K518 is around $50 and has plenty of bass. The Creative Aurvana Live is sometime available for under $60. If you can find it cheap then grab it.

If you are looking for a good dealer that ships worldwide, try B&H photo.  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 12
Jun 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 12
I saw those articles too, and that's what i thought, but was corrected.

couldn't find those images on JVC's site under "ha-s200", something similar with no mention of carbon nanotubes.

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 12
I had no luck with buying  these ones for a couple of reasons :frowning2:
the good thing is that I could get a bigger budget and I can consider other stuff now. I aksed for help in another thread so I will check what comes up. Thanks anyway guys. Cheers.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 12
Hello. I'm Ralph, adn this is my first time in the forums. I'm also totally new to the high quality sound world.
I had always listened to music with the headphones included by default with my players, as well as simple headphones I bought in the way,
Some time ago, I finally decided to try new headphones, and I bought some Sony MDR ZX300. I loved their sound as it was a huge improvement over the stuff I was used to.
So, now that I've had some time with them, I'm interested in something new with a good sound. Since these will be my first quality headphones, I guess I will have to try a bunch of them before I find the ones that fit me best (in terms of sound I mean), so I'd prefer to start with something rather cheap, say  a top of $60, considering that I will also have to add shipping fees to my country.

First, I will name my likings:

I like pretty much the sound of low notes (bass in rock/metal music, lower scales on piano in classical, etc), so I would like to have some decent bass, without being too strong. For example, my car player has a knob with bass in one extreme and treble in the other. I use it in the mid of neutral position and bass. I really dislike to hear music when people uses bass in the maximum and it becomes distorted and with a lot of vibration. I also dislike when the bass does not distort, but you feel a "hit" when a low note sound.

I listen several kinds of music, ranging from classical to even black or death metal, having rock (some soft, some heavy), electronic stuff, and even some pop or latin music between these extremes. But I hear the most: metal, not so heavy rock and classical (specially big choirs stuff).

So, what would be your recommendations for my case?

Also, I have a question:
If the headphones have, i.e. a 5-25000 frequency response, is it pointless to buy them to use with an mp3 player that has a specification of 20-2000 frequency response?

Sorry for this long first post, and thank you very much!
Cheers.

--Ralph.

V-MODA LP2 with the Fiio E17 amp. Costs $300 together and sounds amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back