The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
Apr 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #286 of 615
Quote:
It has been mentioned in the E17 review. E9 / E09K doesn't out perform E17 in lower volume. What you get from E09K is more power and higher volume 

Okay I got my feet wet and opened up the E11. My first impression as this is my first Amp, overall sound improved with the Mac Book and the A900x, it sounds fuller and richer I enjoy the SQ more. The USB charge as u know doesn't work at the same time your listening. 
Then I tried it with the GR07 MKll and the Samsung 3 at first I thought their wasn't much improvement, then I checked for better sound volume which I got and need a little for a busy gym. Wow I wasn't ready for the A900x to improve very nice! Now I haven't received the HD650 yet for a test drive. I did see a good deal for the E09K but like u said I really my not need it. The pricing on the E17 is kind of standard, I may spend a little more, but get a good deal if I buy both. I feel I'm on a nice track to having a great set up. Thanks to you and Evshrug.

Mitch

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #287 of 615
Wow you gave me a lot of information that's very nice of you.

I like helping, but like I said I defer to ClieOS... he has a broader experience, and of course it's his thread, so it's his show. I don't want to take over, and I'm sure he gets pleasure out of using his experience to make recommendations. Nice guy.

I'm glad you opened the E11. They resell pretty easily, even if you don't return it to Micca. Good to understand what a dedicated amp will do, and if you get something else you'll have two points of reference (the E11 and straight from your music player). What do you use to play music at the gym, btw? Glad you were surprised at the new quality!

I hear you about the EQ. I'll tell you what though... I used to use the EQ a lot more, before I got headphones I loved out of the box. Now, I usually only "need" EQ to lower the treble a bit if I've been listening for a while, or the E12's mild, sub-focused bass boost which I just choose sometimes for fun. But most of the time I don't even use EQ :) The E07k and E17 have their independent EQs that I haven't heard, but I understand they could come in handy sometimes.

I'm pretty sure this is where you're at, but it's what I recommend anyway: enjoy the E11 for now, and see what you think once the HD 650s arrive. You might be happy already. If it has enough power but you think you'd still like to try a DAC or want a DAC with EQ to "lift the veil" over the treble, an E17 or something may be in your future (if you got a stand-alone DAC, you still have the E11 to relegate to portable use). If the E11 DOESN'T seem to have enough power and/or the bass seems sloppy or grainy, then what you'll need is some amp with desktop-class power. BUUUUUT ClieOS knows probably more than anyone about portable amp options, and a bit more than me about amps in general.

I was thinking about an E17, Schiit Modi, JDS Labs ODAC, or some other external DAC for myself, but I think I'm going to get a nice soundcard for my computer instead (I play games), and I'm happy with my iPod's DAC + a line out + E12 or my Tube amp. I don't usually make purchases at a fast pace :wink:

... Off Topic, but if I found a job out in CA, I'd move out there :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #288 of 615
Quote:
I like helping, but like I said I defer to ClieOS... he has a broader experience, and of course it's his thread, so it's his show. I don't want to take over, and I'm sure he gets pleasure out of using his experience to make recommendations. Nice guy.

I'm glad you opened the E11. They resell pretty easily, even if you don't return it to Micca. Good to understand what a dedicated amp will do, and if you get something else you'll have two points of reference (the E11 and straight from your music player). What do you use to play music at the gym, btw? Glad you were surprised at the new quality!

I hear you about the EQ. I'll tell you what though... I used to use the EQ a lot more, before I got headphones I loved out of the box. Now, I usually only "need" EQ to lower the treble a bit if I've been listening for a while, or the E12's mild, sub-focused bass boost which I just choose sometimes for fun. But most of the time I don't even use EQ
smily_headphones1.gif
The E07k and E17 have their independent EQs that I haven't heard, but I understand they could come in handy sometimes.

I'm pretty sure this is where you're at, but it's what I recommend anyway: enjoy the E11 for now, and see what you think once the HD 650s arrive. You might be happy already. If it has enough power but you think you'd still like to try a DAC or want a DAC with EQ to "lift the veil" over the treble, an E17 or something may be in your future (if you got a stand-alone DAC, you still have the E11 to relegate to portable use). If the E11 DOESN'T seem to have enough power and/or the bass seems sloppy or grainy, then what you'll need is some amp with desktop-class power. BUUUUUT ClieOS knows probably more than anyone about portable amp options, and a bit more than me about amps in general.

I was thinking about an E17, Schiit Modi, JDS Labs ODAC, or some other external DAC for myself, but I think I'm going to get a nice soundcard for my computer instead (I play games), and I'm happy with my iPod's DAC + a line out + E12 or my Tube amp. I don't usually make purchases at a fast pace
wink.gif

... Off Topic, but if I found a job out in CA, I'd move out there
smily_headphones1.gif

I have had more discussions on Head Fi then any other site I have ever been on. I used to play music when I was in High School and at that time I felt it was very calming. After HS I was just too involved with work to play music. Just a comment on maybe what type of personalities who may get involved in this site which make them a very nice group. People who are looking for this calming factor. 
 I think I understand the need for an EQ maybe less now that the music sounds better with the amp and some minor controls. I'm using my Samsung 3 in the gym. My HD 650's which I hope is a good choice arrive Monday and then maybe I will have some more knowledge. I have read what ClieOS is talking about that the E17 is very good at SQ in those lower volume levels that I listen to. I also read your review of the E12 and watched your video which I thought was excellent thank you. I The inline jack on the E11 is just a little loose and gets knock offline a lot. At least I have some experience with a external Amp now and feel better as to why it is a good idea.
 Their are jobs in California where their is a will their is a way.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #289 of 615
Just remember that the amps of the E17 and E11 are more alike than different, so if the E11 is "enough" with the HD650, the E17 should also be "enough." Plus, I think if you have a Samsung S3, I think that's one of the phones that support an external DAC, so you could plug the E17 into that. IMO some day you'll want a desktop amp, but you may be happy for a while :wink:

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #290 of 615
Some quick impression on JDS Labs C5 vs C421 and O2 - First, C5 is definitely an overall improvement over C421-AD8620 and much closer to the neutrality of O2. The bass boost however is also noticeable boomier than C421, likely because C5 bass boost is wider. Not bad per se, but I prefer C421's bass boost a little more. C5 sounds like a 'baby O2', the only difference I have noticed so far is on the soundstage. Depth is comparable but width is about 5%~10% smaller. The small compression might leave an impression of warmth - but in close listening, it really isn't warmth or forwardness. It is in fact a smaller image IMO. However, the difference is not something most will take note of unless listen to both side by side. Overall, I'll call C5 a solid winner for now. More detail will be covered in the review.

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #291 of 615
How is it compared to the Woodwind?

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #292 of 615
Apr 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #294 of 615
Quote:
ClieOS, since the C5 has an OPA2227, can you directly compare it to the c421-OPA2227 too, please? 
popcorn.gif

The C421-OPA2227 in the review is a loan unit from JDS and has been returned quite some time ago. But given I do prefer C421-AD8620 over C421-OPA2227, and the fact that I am not that big of a fan on OPA2227, I think it all points to an excellent designed C5. I always find OPA2227 to be grainy and forward in cmoy (and a lesser degree in C421). But I didn't notice any of that on C5.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #295 of 615
Quote:
The C421-OPA2227 in the review is a loan unit from JDS and has been returned quite some time ago. But given I do prefer C421-AD8620 over C421-OPA2227, and the fact that I am not that big of a fan on OPA2227, I think it all points to an excellent designed C5. I always find OPA2227 to be grainy and forward in cmoy (and a lesser degree in C421). But I didn't notice any of that on C5.

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #296 of 615
Quote:
Just remember that the amps of the E17 and E11 are more alike than different, so if the E11 is "enough" with the HD650, the E17 should also be "enough." Plus, I think if you have a Samsung S3, I think that's one of the phones that support an external DAC, so you could plug the E17 into that. IMO some day you'll want a desktop amp, but you may be happy for a while
wink.gif

Hi
I used the E11 today with the GR07 and it was a nice improvement. It's like what you said about amps it took out the swings and gave a nice and steady strong flow. I spoke with my son today and I may give him the E11 instead of paying the charges fro a return and since it's so nice. Now if I do go with the E17 for a while, I know it matches up with the E9k but can I match up to other Amps. Can I use tube Amps later on since the E17 already has Dac?

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #297 of 615
Quote:
Okay I got my feet wet and opened up the E11. My first impression as this is my first Amp, overall sound improved with the Mac Book and the A900x, it sounds fuller and richer I enjoy the SQ more. The USB charge as u know doesn't work at the same time your listening. 
Then I tried it with the GR07 MKll and the Samsung 3 at first I thought their wasn't much improvement, then I checked for better sound volume which I got and need a little for a busy gym. Wow I wasn't ready for the A900x to improve very nice! Now I haven't received the HD650 yet for a test drive. I did see a good deal for the E09K but like u said I really my not need it. The pricing on the E17 is kind of standard, I may spend a little more, but get a good deal if I buy both. I feel I'm on a nice track to having a great set up. Thanks to you and Evshrug.

Mitch

Quote:
Hi
I used the E11 today with the GR07 and it was a nice improvement. It's like what you said about amps it took out the swings and gave a nice and steady strong flow. I spoke with my son today and I may give him the E11 instead of paying the charges fro a return and since it's so nice. Now if I do go with the E17 for a while, I know it matches up with the E9k but can I match up to other Amps. Can I use tube Amps later on since the E17 already has Dac?

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #298 of 615
Mitch,
You can indeed use the E17 for now as an all-in-one "audio chipset" aka DAC/amp combo, and later on buy the (cheap) line-out adapter for the E17 that feeds a clean line-out signal from the E17 to whatever amp you choose. Basically, the dock in the E09k is just a built-in version of this line-out adapter, the appeal is in the E09k itself being a capable value for the money as a desktop amp, and the tidiness of the setup. Though the E09k isn't itself a DAC, it does have have connections that can pass the digital signal through to the docking connector, meaning you can leave your computer wired up to the E9 and when you get home, you just drop the E17 into the dock to transform from portable to desktop setup.

If you do decide to try a tube amp (like I did), I do have one I love and can recommend based on sound quality and hand-craftsmanship.

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #299 of 615
Quote:
Mitch,
You can indeed use the E17 for now as an all-in-one "audio chipset" aka DAC/amp combo, and later on buy the (cheap) line-out adapter for the E17 that feeds a clean line-out signal from the E17 to whatever amp you choose. Basically, the dock in the E09k is just a built-in version of this line-out adapter, the appeal is in the E09k itself being a capable value for the money as a desktop amp, and the tidiness of the setup. Though the E09k isn't itself a DAC, it does have have connections that can pass the digital signal through to the docking connector, meaning you can leave your computer wired up to the E9 and when you get home, you just drop the E17 into the dock to transform from portable to desktop setup.

If you do decide to try a tube amp (like I did), I do have one I love and can recommend based on sound quality and hand-craftsmanship.Hi

Hi ClieOS and Evshrug,

Just thought I should report back on my experience, I received my HD 650 today. The Head Flier web site is moving me along quickly. So far I using my 2009 Mac Book with Mog music service mostly, with 320Kbps and my E11. I'm getting good sound volume from my Mac Book and with the E11 it enriches the sound quality. I believe the HD650 is a keeper. I have no experience with tubes or higher quality Amps/Dacs if these issues were not brought up I think I would be satisfied. I still have a few days to return  the E11 and move higher up the food chain. I'm running the E11 on "H" gain and zero for equalizer. Can you suggest a budget tube amp.  Do I need a a Dac with the MacBook. If I switch to the E17 what can I expect as far as an improvement in sound quality. I'm open for suggestions now that I have a little more experience. I notice last night while listening to the A900x it was heavier bass and some distortion in some songs. For a while I thought it couldn't get any better then I notice what I just mentioned. The HD650 sounds more natural not as bass heavy a higher quality overall. Please let me know your thoughts. 
Thank you.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #300 of 615
If you really think you want something better than E11, then forget about E17 and aim for something higher. Do you have a budget in mind? Since we are talking about tube amp, does it means portability isn't a requirement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back