The Sub-$200 Portable Amps Shootout – 13 (+11) amps compared
May 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #316 of 615
Quote:
Since C421 has been replaced by C5, I was wondering if you had any experience with it, and how it compares with cMoyBB?

Impression is at page 20.

There is no comparison between cmoyBB to C5. The improvement is large enough to call it 'night and day'.

May 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #317 of 615
Hi ClieOS

Just received my O2 this afternoon and the amp appears wonderful. But I do have some questions. When using my Mog music service 320Kbps and the HD650 some songs seem to have so much bass as if to a point of distortion. I pressed in on the button of the O2 which I guess is higher frequency which sounds great on non bass songs but when deep bass hits on the song it can sound distorted. I went to my Tunes and on the ESQ I put the  bass reducer on  and I thought everything was clearer and sounded great. First I thought the HUD650 may be at fault but I don't know because the bass reducer removed the distortion. Is their any ESQ for the Mac I could use that works with my  music server? 

May 7, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #318 of 615
Quote:
Hi ClieOS

Just received my O2 this afternoon and the amp appears wonderful. But I do have some questions. When using my Mog music service 320Kbps and the HD650 some songs seem to have so much bass as if to a point of distortion. I pressed in on the button of the O2 which I guess is higher frequency which sounds great on non bass songs but when deep bass hits on the song it can sound distorted. I went to my Tunes and on the ESQ I put the  bass reducer on  and I thought everything was clearer and sounded great. First I thought the HUD650 may be at fault but I don't know because the bass reducer removed the distortion. Is their any ESQ for the Mac I could use that works with my  music server? 

There are two buttons on O2: power and gain. My guess is the source that has problem. Likely it is clipping because the source is not able to output the voltage needed. Instead of using EQ, trying lowering the volume on the source.

May 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #319 of 615
Quote:

There are two buttons on O2: power and gain. My guess is the source that has problem. Likely it is clipping because the source is not able to output the voltage needed. Instead of using EQ, trying lowering the volume on the source.

Yes I do mean the gain switch on the O2 I have it pushed in, is that correct with the HD650? The O2 instructions said to turn up the volume on source to 60-80%. I tried it at 50% on the Mac Book and turned the volume up on the O2, is that what your suggesting?  So far it's better, I was scared it maybe faulty HD650 at first. I"m not using a Dac and I think it sounds great would you agree that I don't need one with the MacBook?  Thanks ClieOS

May 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #320 of 615
Quote:
Yes I do mean the gain switch on the O2 I have it pushed in, is that correct with the HD650? The O2 instructions said to turn up the volume on source to 60-80%. I tried it at 50% on the Mac Book and turned the volume up on the O2, is that what your suggesting?  So far it's better, I was scared it maybe faulty HD650 at first. I"m not using a Dac and I think it sounds great would you agree that I don't need one with the MacBook?  Thanks ClieOS

I also noticed when I went into my music server the volume was turned all the way up so I turned that down to about 70%. So far it's much better. Thanks

May 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #321 of 615
Yep, if it gets better when you turn the volume down on the source and volume up on the O2, then it is a good indicator that the source is clipping before.

May 8, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #324 of 615
Quote:
Will I have any issues amping my Clip+, since it only has HP out and no LOD?

The one prerequisite for getting the best out of double amping is, the headphone-out should be relatively clean sounding, without any obvious coloration, distortion and noise. Clip+ does fit into that description so double amping shouldn't be any problem. Just be sure to keep the Clip+ in relatively high volume (>90%) and use the amp to control volume.

May 8, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #325 of 615
The one prerequisite for getting the best out of double amping is, the headphone-out should be relatively clean sounding, without any obvious coloration, distortion and noise. Clip+ does fit into that description so double amping shouldn't be any problem. Just be sure to keep the Clip+ in relatively high volume (>90%) and use the amp to control volume.

What's your stance on double amping with the iphone 5? The 30 pin adapter + lod combo is rather bulky, so I was wondering if the hp out was a viable option.

May 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #326 of 615
Quote:
What's your stance on double amping with the iphone 5? The 30 pin adapter + lod combo is rather bulky, so I was wondering if the hp out was a viable option.

Don't own or use a iP5 before to have any real opinion about double amping it. But if you are interested in my take on Lightning adapter vs. Nano 7G's headphone-out, here you go:

Quote:
The RMAA result on the adapter looks very clean and rather good, indicating that the Wolfson DAC inside the adapter is as good as the Nano 7 internal DAC. But the catch is that it isn’t much better when compared to Nano 7 headphone-out without load (as used in double amping). In fact, Nano 7 headphone-out offers better channel separation. Further A/Bing also confirms that the line-out really doesn’t sound audibly better than just double amp the headphone-out. So the conclusion is, there is really no need to use the adapter for its line-out on a portable setup. You will be just as good with double amping. To do so, just adjust the volume to max then drop to three steps lower, which should give you almost the same voltage (0.94Vrms) as line-out and shouldn’t clip your portable amp.

May 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #327 of 615
Quote:

I'll chime in on this then. I use my iPhone 5 output with the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II regularly, and it's just as clean as the 30-pin adapter.

May 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #328 of 615
I'll chime in on this then. I use my iPhone 5 output with the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II regularly, and it's just as clean as the 30-pin adapter.

Great to hear. Just to clarify, you cant use a dac with the iP5 without the 30 pin, and can only use an amp? So are amp/dac single units incompatible with the iP5, or is there an analog input to just use the amp?

May 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #329 of 615
DAC that are compatible to iP5 needs a special chip inside and generally cost around $500 or so. UH-6 MK2 isn't one of them.

May 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #330 of 615
Quote:

Thanks for the info, as usual :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back