The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #22,487 of 24,807
The stax mafia is working on an all surface mount kgsshv with new
and very fast parts all on a aluminum oxide substrate. very low capacitance
and close to T2 slew rates. I wanted to do beryllium oxide substrate for better
thermal characteristics, but was overruled.

(+/-500V power supplies)

May 30, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #22,490 of 24,807
There is a second run of T2's very soon. (i'm not doing it this time)

Something even more silly in the works when we have time.

May 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #22,492 of 24,807
Any plans to release "something" beyond the BHSE in the near future? Perhaps something limited in runs and more overkill than the diyT2?

Hard to believe there would be something more tedious to work with than the T2, especially when one has to do everything from scratch. Being able to get in KG's run of chassis is real bless.

May 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #22,493 of 24,807
There are no current plans for anything more insane than the T2.  We might do a fully complementary amp that could run at +/-600V or even higher but the sheer insanity needed to build something like that is in short supply...
redface.gif
  I'm focusing more on oddball designs and cleaning up and modernizing our other circuits.  For oddball amps I'm now working on a fully balanced tube Stax amp that will fit in the palm of my hand and a fully balanced amp which only has two active parts between the channels, a pair of single DHT's. 

The relationship between the T2 and BHSE is more the former inspired the latter from a far.  Before I sent Kevin my SRM-T2, he had never seen more than parts of the circuit and certainly not the important ones.  He got amazingly close but there are substantial differences in many areas and in terms of complexity, the T2 is unrivaled. 

As for why the KGSSHV can't compare with the BHSE, there are a number of factors.  We had to make certain sacrifices to make the amp work as the onboard version.  The transition to lower current is very linear but there will always be tradeoff by doing that.  Then we have the small issue of triode strapped EL34's being generally awesome and being perfect for this role.  Even the C4686A, which is close to being perfect for the job, can't compare.  Now we could just introduce a crap load of distortion and claim they are equally good but that's not really our thing... 

Before I forget, with that SRM-1 Mk2, measure the metal bridge which connects all the output devices.  Should be around 600V which you can feed through a VD and get pro bias levels. 

May 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #22,494 of 24,807
well there is the version of the T2 with the solid state front end, but that is just equally insane.
In fact slightly easier to build.

May 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #22,495 of 24,807
The stax mafia is working on an all surface mount kgsshv with new
and very fast parts all on a aluminum oxide substrate. very low capacitance
and close to T2 slew rates. I wanted to do beryllium oxide substrate for better
thermal characteristics, but was overruled.

(+/-500V power supplies)
KG getting his decision overruled for the KGSSHV!?

Is there any other info about this new design that you're able to divulge here - apart from what you've shared above such as secondary or tertiary benefits?

I'm noobish at this so my immediate thoughts when I hear "surface mounted" would be compact size in places where space is a premium.

May 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #22,496 of 24,807
quoting Wikipedia
Like all beryllium compounds, BeO is carcinogenic and may cause chronic beryllium disease. Once fired into solid form, it is safe to handle as long as it is not subjected to any machining that generates dust.[size=x-small][9][/size] Beryllium oxide ceramic is not a hazardous waste under Federal law in the USA.

We are going to need to put 8 holes in the sheet. May be best to pay someone to do that.
But dropping it on a hard surface will cause it crack, and that is not a good thing.

I will have a unit made this way. Others will probably want the Alumina version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back