The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #22,472 of 24,807

Mainly how does the HGSSHV compare to the T2, LL mk2, BHSE and the like?

LL very good
KGSSHV very very good
BHSE very very very good
T2 very very very very good
:D

May 29, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #22,473 of 24,807
My bad  
eek.gif

May 29, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #22,475 of 24,807
Ok picked up a working SRM-1 Serial 665 one of the earlier models wired for 100v only. 

Cracked her open and it is using an R-core tranny, no switchable voltages on bottom or the backside.

There is a guide on headfonia for adding in a Pro-bias circuit for the dual normal bias earlier MK2's and I'm wondering it the same can be done to this MK1. 

Should I get a step up transformer or wire up a replacement trafo inside replacing the current, wired for 240v operation? (If so, any recommendations?)

Some pics:

Do plan on replacing caps, maybe diodes etc if this amp is worth keeping?

I have an MK2 (pro-bias modded) so wondering what's if it will be an upgrade or downgrade.

May 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #22,476 of 24,807
The SRM-1 Mk1 is a simplified version of the SRA-12S design so it has a high B+ you can just make a voltage divider off to drive the pro bias. 

Quote:
How is the difficulty of removing and replacing my cracked 717 jack?  What steps are involved?  Stax got back to me at about $40 + 15 ship IIRC.

You would have to completely gut the amp and remove the front panel to get good access to it.  The socket is just fixed with a nut so undo that, desolder all the wires and you are good. 

May 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #22,477 of 24,807
Quote:
Mainly how does the HGSSHV compare to the T2, LL mk2, BHSE and the like?

LL very good
KGSSHV very very good
BHSE very very very good
T2 very very very very good

biggrin.gif

really ?
i had the impression that BHSE and T2 were in the same league. ( keeping out rarity ofcourse ) ( isnt BH design based  (/ inspired? ) on T2 and the BHSE s the improved version by justin ? so in theory BHSE should be better )

May 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #22,480 of 24,807
Quote:
It sounds even better with cryo'd brain cells, just does not come with warranty in that case.

So, you can look this up on a google search and Birgir already got it covered. Just to clarify again, and from direct discussion with the sales director of Stax a couple of weeks back: ippinkan is an audio dealer who buys stock products, mods them, and sell them under a different brand. Stax told me they can't do anything about it, anyone is free to buy stuff at dealer cost and sell back in any form an shape. Birgir said before Stax was modifying the 404 specially for them but the official version is that ippinkan is just like another dealer and Stax exclusively sells standard products. They also entirely disassociate themselves from the ippinkan mods, this is not coming from Stax, not approved by Stax, and honestly speaking, you'll never hear Stax promote cryo treatment...

Having said that, never heard one, the modded unit may sound good. Apparently they sometimes show up during the fall festival in Tokyo so I could give it a shot at some point.

In this country there are a variety of possible legal remedies if Stax wanted to pursue them, such as copyright, design rights and trade dress.   You would need to establish some actual monetary damage and I doubt that Airbow is actually doing that and may even be increasing sales by buying many Staxen themselves.

May 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #22,481 of 24,807
Stax Country at La Jolla beach Sunday evening of Memorial Day weekend.

These old Stax portables have enough isolation from external sound, not to be bothered by the surf, even fairly close up. It is also well-worth using a good quality interconnect between a CD player and the the Stax amp.  I have a short silver connector made some years ago by a fellow head-fier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back