The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #19,711 of 24,807
Quote:
Dear spritzer,

Apologies for inadvertently "advertising" the BM - I certainly didn't mean to use my post to propmote commercial interests of any kind. I only wanted to share my personal positive experience with a product that appears to work very well in my particular circumstances.

Cheers,

-- Dmitri

Since I seem to be the cause of this 'ripple in the pond', I also want to say that this is no more a promotion than anyone else on this forum suggesting that someone listens to a particular headphone over another. I was simply trying to make CDPlayer aware of other options ( as he requested) and mentioned the BM since it is a highly regarded DAC. The same goes for MG stuff, very highly regarded and 30day trial offers to let your own ears decide. Just trying to help a fellow forum member.

Apologies if I have caused any offence.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #19,712 of 24,807
To those familiar with using the old Stax transformer boxes,

My Lambda SB coupled to an SRD-7SB recently developed distortion when listening to complex or particularly loud parts of my music (not deafening SPLs or anything). I have confirmed that it is my integrated amp, a Kenwood KA-88 that has developed this problem. I know it is the amp because this distortion also shows up on my dynamic headphones when I use the headphone jack, but not on my dedicated dynamic headphone amp. The Kenwood is a nice class-A design that has worked beautifully for a long time, but I think it is at the end of its life.

If I had a pro-bias Stax, I might just shoot for a dedicated amp, but since I don't, I think a new integrated amp or receiver is the only solution if I don't want to spend major $$$. Can you guys give me some idea of what kind of amp to shoot for? I want a good but cheap amp, so I'm fine with a good vintage amp. What brands and models and how much power should I be shooting for?  

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #19,713 of 24,807
Quote:
Personally I'd stay far away from Beresford and people with low post count recommending it.  The guy that sells that trash spent years on HF with multiple accounts promoting his own products.  Since the IP filter is broken on HF now he could just as well be back...

No, it isn't broken. A quick search doesn't show bunches of people with low post count promoting it either.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #19,714 of 24,807
Quote:
To those familiar with using the old Stax transformer boxes,

My Lambda SB coupled to an SRD-7SB recently developed distortion when listening to complex or particularly loud parts of my music (not deafening SPLs or anything). I have confirmed that it is my integrated amp, a Kenwood KA-88 that has developed this problem. I know it is the amp because this distortion also shows up on my dynamic headphones when I use the headphone jack, but not on my dedicated dynamic headphone amp. The Kenwood is a nice class-A design that has worked beautifully for a long time, but I think it is at the end of its life.

If I had a pro-bias Stax, I might just shoot for a dedicated amp, but since I don't, I think a new integrated amp or receiver is the only solution if I don't want to spend major $$$. Can you guys give me some idea of what kind of amp to shoot for? I want a good but cheap amp, so I'm fine with a good vintage amp. What brands and models and how much power should I be shooting for?  

Having worked on quite a few vintage Kenwood's then the problem is probably very simple, corrosion on one of the many switches.  Try moving all switches a few times and opening up the amp and cleaning them with some contact spray is even better. 

Quote:

No, it isn't broken. A quick search doesn't show bunches of people with low post count promoting it either.

Good to know. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #19,715 of 24,807
Quote:

Having worked on quite a few vintage Kenwood's then the problem is probably very simple, corrosion on one of the many switches.  Try moving all switches a few times and opening up the amp and cleaning them with some contact spray is even better.

As soon as I get a contact cleaner, I'll try this. So I just spray the switches with something like deoxit?

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #19,717 of 24,807
I'm not familiar with vintage amp repair, so pardon my ignorance. This distortion does not appear when I move the volume knob or any switches that I know of. Could they still be the source of the distortion or is it likely that the problem is deeper in the circuit board? It is pretty dusty in there.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #19,719 of 24,807
Quote:
Could very well be but the switches are a known point of failure in the old Kenwoods.  Doesn't mean it isn't something else though, just the first step in the long line of stuff to check. 

highly likely.................it happened with my old kenwood from high school/college days.
then 30 years later, i found the same problem with my father-in-law's kenwood, same model.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #19,721 of 24,807
Here is a point of interest that might help some people who are torn between the 407 and 507 as a purchase. I have the 407 and I purchased the 507 ear pads from Audiocubes they came in yesterday. The cost was $100 as listed on their website. I have a friend who bought a 507 ordered from Japan with a 323. He is using a step down transformer. He came over today with his 507's and I replaced the ear pads on my 407 with new 507 leather pads. We compared the two sets using my 006t. There was absolutely no discernible difference between the two sets. If there is a difference it is so small that we could not hear it. So...the ear pads seem to be the only sonic difference between the 407 and the 507. I can point out that the 407 plus the cost of the 507 pads is way less than the 507. True, you do not get the new headband or whatever the difference in the cable. Doesn't seem to make any difference in the sound.

I will note that the 507 pads puts your ears closer to the drivers than the 407 pad but they are more comfortable.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #19,722 of 24,807
Here is a point of interest that might help some people who are torn between the 407 and 507 as a purchase. I have the 407 and I purchased the 507 ear pads from Audiocubes they came in yesterday. The cost was $100 as listed on their website. I have a friend who bought a 507 ordered from Japan with a 323. He is using a step down transformer. He came over today with his 507's and I replaced the ear pads on my 407 with new 507 leather pads. We compared the two sets using my 006t. There was absolutely no discernible difference between the two sets. If there is a difference it is so small that we could not hear it. So...the ear pads seem to be the only sonic difference between the 407 and the 507. I can point out that the 407 plus the cost of the 507 pads is way less than the 507. True, you do not get the new headband or whatever the difference in the cable. Doesn't seem to make any difference in the sound.

I will note that the 507 pads puts your ears closer to the drivers than the 407 pad but they are more comfortable.

Now if only the 407s weren't poop-colored...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back