The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #19,741 of 24,807
I am a little lost on the SR-007  Mk 1 / Mk 2 / Mk 2.5  or however the lineage goes. At one time I had these things straight in my head but now there's been some data degradation....

Could someone knowledgeable please post some notes on the SR-007 series?

Something like this but with actual comments filled in for "SONIC REPUTATION":

UNIT:     SR-007 MK 1
HOW TO IDENTIFY:  Only avail in silver, "thinner" earpads; Mk1 with early serial number (70xxx) &  Mk1 with late serial number and SZ1 after serial
SONIC REPUTATION:  Neutral-to-lean sounding bass, neutral-to-soft treble blah blah blah;  hard to drive -for best results use BHSE, KGSSHV, DIY T-2 etc.

UNIT:     SR-007 MK 2
HOW TO IDENTIFY:  Avail in silver or black, "thicker" earpads; Mk2 with SZ2 after serial number
SONIC REPUTATION:  Mid-bass heavy, slight treble 'etch' whatever etc and so forth blah blah blah; hard to drive -for best results use BHSE, KGSSHV, DIY T-2 etc.

UNIT:     SR-007 MK 2.5
HOW TO IDENTIFY:  Avail in silver or black, "thicker" earpads; Mk2 with SZ3 after serial number
SONIC REPUTATION:  Bass blah blah Treble blah blah blah; hard to drive -for best results use BHSE, KGSSHV, DIY T-2 etc.

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #19,743 of 24,807
I heard from a UK Stax dealer that the Mk2 pads were available in both brown and black (I'd really like to have the brown ones for my Mk1 phones).

However, the same dealer also told me my 71nnn phones were definitely Mk 2. Which really confused me for a while, but I'm pretty sure, from the information on this forum, that they are late Mk1's.

Which goes to show that it's really confusing, even for the dealers. So I'm not now sure if I order "brown Mk2 pads" I'll just get the Mk1 versions.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #19,744 of 24,807
I've never heard of brown MK2 pads. MK1 pads are pretty scarce now too.

I think some dealers may be a little confused, which is understandable, as it's pretty confusing. It also doesn't help that in Stax's catalogs, the lighting makes it hard to tell if some parts are brown or black.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #19,745 of 24,807
I still think the mk1 Champagne and brown is the best looking headphone ever made. Still a little disappointed in the way the 009 looks in comparison (stupid lambda headband). Been considering finding an mk1 just to have the best looking headphone ever. It's gorgeous.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #19,746 of 24,807
Quote:
I still think the mk1 Champagne and brown is the best looking headphone ever made. Still a little disappointed in the way the 009 looks in comparison (stupid lambda headband). Been considering finding an mk1 just to have the best looking headphone ever. It's gorgeous.

Obviously this sort of thing is highly subjective, but personally I think the SR-Omega may very well be the coolest looking headphone of all time.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #19,747 of 24,807
The all leather headband did it for me, and the matte champagne color is just elegant as all get out. 

They also came with a flight case rather than a friggin' wooden box. Though I like the Omega box more than the 009 box.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #19,748 of 24,807
Quote:
I heard from a UK Stax dealer that the Mk2 pads were available in both brown and black (I'd really like to have the brown ones for my Mk1 phones).

However, the same dealer also told me my 71nnn phones were definitely Mk 2. Which really confused me for a while, but I'm pretty sure, from the information on this forum, that they are late Mk1's.

Which goes to show that it's really confusing, even for the dealers. So I'm not now sure if I order "brown Mk2 pads" I'll just get the Mk1 versions.

The EP-007 from Stax are black and only black so I'm fairly sure that these are just old stock. 

All Mk2 headphones have a serial number that starts with SZ2 or SZ3 but 71xxx would be the later version of the Mk1. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #19,751 of 24,807
Have a 702xx model here so mk1 started at least at 70000...

For color, I much prefer the silver frame/black pads of the 007A (mk2-2.5) to that champagne / brown pads of the mk1. Having said that mf's post of the original omega are absolutely gorgeous, and it is for me a tough call comparing to the silver/black pads 009.

All subjective indeed :wink:

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #19,752 of 24,807
I am curious how a O2 Mk1 would sound with a 507 cable. They say it is the same as the 009. I know it would take a mod to do it but been there done that and it works well and a nice strain relief to boot. Just wondering if there is a big possibility that this could make them worse?

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #19,753 of 24,807
Quote:
To those familiar with using the old Stax transformer boxes,

My Lambda SB coupled to an SRD-7SB recently developed distortion when listening to complex or particularly loud parts of my music (not deafening SPLs or anything). I have confirmed that it is my integrated amp, a Kenwood KA-88 that has developed this problem. I know it is the amp because this distortion also shows up on my dynamic headphones when I use the headphone jack, but not on my dedicated dynamic headphone amp. The Kenwood is a nice class-A design that has worked beautifully for a long time, but I think it is at the end of its life.

If I had a pro-bias Stax, I might just shoot for a dedicated amp, but since I don't, I think a new integrated amp or receiver is the only solution if I don't want to spend major $$$. Can you guys give me some idea of what kind of amp to shoot for? I want a good but cheap amp, so I'm fine with a good vintage amp. What brands and models and how much power should I be shooting for?  

Why don't you just get it repaired? It would be cheaper and would last many more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back