The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #19,681 of 24,807
Quote:
Yup the drivers are the most important part of any headphone, BUT sigma. For sigma the unique housing is most important.
The drivers in sgma are not most important cause they can be swapped with stax sr-x0x , with better result. Thats why i said , why would anyone buy sigma SB drivers.
There was a sigma on auction on ebay at 699 no one bid on that and here we have 15 people bidding around 300 for a driver that wont do you much good without a proper housing( add to that almost all other drivers will be better in that housing)

Well, my interest sparks from the thought of using them in a Lambda housing, and I already know a few things:

-SR-Sigma and SR-Lambda (Normal bias versions) used the same drivers, from what I've read.
-I prefer the SR-Lambda sound to the SR-202 because the midrange isn't recessed and it doesn't sound like there's a rough texture imparted onto everything. I don't expect the SR-303/404 to fare any better.

Also, I don't see myself pursuing Sigmas any time soon. I'm sure they're great headphones, but the very design means that it won't work with binaural headphone mixes. (That means no CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone for gaming.)

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #19,682 of 24,807
How many versions of the SR-007 are there? From a cursory search there's the 007a, 007 MK I, and 007 MK II. Is the MK II the same as the "a" version?

Are there any more versions, and is there anywhere that I can be pointed that will help me to discern the differences between these models?

edit: Nvm, Tyll to the rescue once again: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-007

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #19,683 of 24,807
This is a useful thread that mentions the differences between all the different versions of the 007
http://www.head-fi.org/t/420311/whats-the-difference-between-stax-sr-007-mk1-and-mk2
SZ1 and numbers without SZ are Mk1, SZ2 series are Mk2.
The one not mentioned in that thread is the SZ3 series, which unofficially many refer as to the Mk2.5 and looks the same as the Mk2 but sounds different due to a new transducer.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #19,684 of 24,807
The Stax Gamma Pro are fairly rare but there was a set on Ebay for the longest time for $300 in the box that took a few times to sell. I think the housing has an effect on sound that colors them. Someday I would like to buy a pair and modify the housing by just putting a tube around the driver so it is just like a Sr-x pro. Kind of the same thing Grado does with their drivers. Are you going to buy the pair? If you decide they are not what you want please let me know.

Oct 7, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #19,685 of 24,807
Quote:
This is a useful thread that mentions the differences between all the different versions of the 007
http://www.head-fi.org/t/420311/whats-the-difference-between-stax-sr-007-mk1-and-mk2
SZ1 and numbers without SZ are Mk1, SZ2 series are Mk2.
The one not mentioned in that thread is the SZ3 series, which unofficially many refer as to the Mk2.5 and looks the same as the Mk2 but sounds different due to a new transducer.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it!

edit: I also found this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/613187/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-mk1-vs-mk2-vs-sr-009-making-the-jump-into-high-end

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #19,686 of 24,807
Quote:
The Stax Gamma Pro are fairly rare but there was a set on Ebay for the longest time for $300 in the box that took a few times to sell. I think the housing has an effect on sound that colors them. Someday I would like to buy a pair and modify the housing by just putting a tube around the driver so it is just like a Sr-x pro. Kind of the same thing Grado does with their drivers. Are you going to buy the pair? If you decide they are not what you want please let me know.

Thanks for your answer. I'm still on the fence about this. My biggest concern is that a pair of Gamma Pro is 20+ years old today, as they were introduced to the market in the late 80s. So even if the seller says that they are in good condition doesn't mean they are still that way after some use...

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #19,687 of 24,807
When checking the balance and dc offset on the srm1/mk2 amp, do you warm it up with headphones plugged in and music playing?  or do you just leave it turned on for a half hour or so with nothing plugged in?

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #19,688 of 24,807
Quote:
When checking the balance and dc offset on the srm1/mk2 amp, do you warm it up with headphones plugged in and music playing?  or do you just leave it turned on for a half hour or so with nothing plugged in?

The amp just needs to warm up so I'd just leave it on its own.  You can adjust on power up and just readjust when it's warm. 

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #19,689 of 24,807
Amp is done.  dialed in the settings, let is sit for a while, then dialed them back in again.  everything looks good.  going to set it up to burn in the caps for a while, while at work.  So far everthing sounds great.  Success!!

Thank you spritzer and Kevin.

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #19,690 of 24,807
Most excellent. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #19,691 of 24,807
It's finally happened, a headphone has dethroned the HD650 for small ensemble jazz listening (and all its sub genres). It's only taken over a year and vast expenditures (LCD's, HE6, HD800, RS1i, HP2, HE5LE) but the MK1's are the perfect accompaniment for quiet evening, reflective jazz sessions. Their tonality, pinpoint imagery and ability to simply "get out of the way" (aka transparency) is unrivaled. They're also quite splashy through the SRM 323S, which surprised me with the myriad comments on their dark character. I sometimes miss the accentuated midbass of the HD650's and the laidback sound which never calls attention to any particular instrument or stage locality, but the MK1 is really quite a leap ahead. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #19,693 of 24,807
Can I get some more input about SRM-1/ MK 2 versus SRM-313 vs. SRM 323s ? 

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #19,695 of 24,807
You have got to be kidding me. Someone just scored an SRM-1/Mk2 Pro for under $300 shipped.

It was listed at a $350 Buy-It-Now price too, so I wasn't expecting the seller to take an offer that low.

Was it anyone in this thread, by any chance? (Seems a bit too coincidental that someone asks about the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro right when that listing showed up...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back